A question about decks..

Stormwitch

As you all know as readers we grow, evolve and change. We change our decks, our spreads and our methods sometimes. I am in the process of this myself. What I'd like to know from people here is this:

Which decks would you recommend suit the following best:

Love/relationship readings
Career/work/study readings
Money/home readings
General readings

Your opinions and thoughts are very welcome:)

AJ

Hello StormWitch and welcome to AT.
I don't have an answer for you, just wanted to say hi.

I seldom pull a deck until I get the question unless I'm going somewhere other than home to read. Anyway, I just open the drawer and see what feels right! I really like all my decks so no one gets favored over another.

And then we have the reading circles here that are deck specific, the question changes each week or month, but the deck is always the same. Those are fun too, and a way to get to know a deck. Hurry and get some more posts in so you can join in! They are great learning experiences. I think you need at least 25 posts, or 2 weeks membership.

MeeWah

Stormwitch: Welcome to Aeclectic Tarot!

& thanks for the interesting question, to which I am looking forward to see the responses.

Generally, tend to see any deck with which one is comfortable can be used for any type of reading since the reading process a very subjective activity. & whether the deck of the tradition Rider-Waite-Smith, Thoth or Marseilles, personally find them all to be intinsically versatile & thus, effective in their way.

Can see, however, how some decks may seem to lend themselves to the more specific.

Sometimes the choice of deck depends on which seems to 'fit' the client &/or the query at the time.

Where the more specific decks concerned for the topics listed, the following decks used the most because these amongst my favourite reading decks so many if not most of the decks named repetitious:

Love/relationship readings
The Ancient Egyptian; Chinese Tarot; Tarot of the Old Path; Robin Wood; RWS; DruidCraft; Cosmic Tribe; Mythic Tarot; Golden Tarot of Klimt; Hanson-Roberts; Golden Tarot; Housewives Tarot; Baroque Bohemian Cats; Fairytale Tarot; Art Nouveau. (Art Nouveau by Matt Myers very effective for the topic & highly recommended.)

Career/work/study readings
RWS; Robin Wood; Tarot of the Old Path; Tarot of Prague; Chinese Tarot; DruidCraft; Grimaud Marseilles; Thoth; Inner Child; Spiral Tarot; Fradella Adventure Tarot.

Money/home readings
RWS; DruidCraft; Robin Wood; Tarot of the Old Path; Tarot of Prague; The Ancient Egyptian; Chinese Tarot; Grimaud Marseilles; Thoth; Housewives Tarot; Inner Child.

General readings
Any of the above & others.

Logiatrix

Hello and welcome, Stormwitch! Also, thank you for this great topic. I'll just answer by applying the decks I currently own that I use regularly...

Love/relationship readings: Zerner/Farber, Gendron

Career/work/study readings: Baseball Tarot, Grimaud Marseille

Money/home readings: Visconti Gold, Star That Never Walks Around

General readings: Albano-Waite, Cloisters, Gothic

That is how they usually fall, if I have the presence of mind to think it through. Just as others have mentioned, there are also plenty of times when whatever I have is what gets used. Of course, the Gendron or the Marseille or whatever will work perfectly well for general readings, but I have to admit, I'm still suprised at how well the Baseball Tarot has worked for romance questions!
:)

Djcooler

Hey

So admittedly I am no expert on Tarot. I tend to think though that the deck itself is irrelevant to the question. I believe it has more to do with the quarrent and or the readers connection to the deck itself. If there is a strong connection to the deck, any deck can be effective in answering any question put forth to the tarot. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Kenny

I focus on just one deck, at the moment it is the Thoth Tarot, to do all of my readings. I find it doesn't really matter what question I throw at it, the answers all seem to flow out well.

I can see that some of the newer and more focused decks might have a different slant on things.

VGimlet

Right now I am going through my collection and reading with a different deck every week. I tend to use just one deck for querants - right now it is the Gilded. BUT I can see after I get done with my studies I might want to use different decks. Sometimes it's good to change things up, not always use the same decks. I am assuming oracles as well as tarot.

Love/relationship readings Shapeshifter,Motherpeace,Erotic, Lovers Path, Victorian Romantic, Gothic Tarot, Secret Tarot, Lunatic Tarot, Maat.

Career/work/study readings Ancient Illuminated, Tarot Lenormand, Dreaming in Color Deck, Thoth, Tarot of the New Vision, Terrocco dell 'Orror.

Money/home readingsNew Palladini, Visconti Sforza, Radient RWS, Masonic Tarot, Universal (diAngeli), Camoin-Judorowsky, Marseilles.

General readings Gilded, Universal RWS, Aquarian, Morgan Greer, Minchiate, Voyager, Pagan, Knapp-Hall, Cosmic, oh, I could go on and on here.