PDA

View Full Version : Glitch in PM

spoonbender
29-03-2007, 18:28
Hi! There's something weird going on: when I tried to give a link to someone in a PM, the "invision zone"-part (without the space in between), appeared as ************ when I previewed!!! I guess that word is banned since you can't give out links to other forums, but is there any way to make sure that this doesn't happen in PM's? And is there a list of banned words we can find somewhere?

Sorry if this has been brought up before - I couldn't find anything about it!

Warm regards,

Spoon

Free Flight
29-03-2007, 18:39
Hi Spoonbender

As far as I am aware you cannot write any web address in PMs.

I have had this same problem before.

hope this helps

thanks
FF

zannamarie
30-03-2007, 02:15
I'm not sure of the specifics to which you refer but I have passed along Web addresses many times in PMs. And I know they've been received because I received comments about the pages.

I have noticed that when previewing, not all of the address shows. Some of the letters are replaced with elipses but the recipient does receive the entire address. And they receive it as a clickable link.

However, I am also a subscriber so perhaps that is an added benefit. (I did take a quick look through the subscriber benefits and didn't notice anything about this. I did notice that non-subscribers can not add attachements to posts so perhaps that is somehow related to the feature of listing web addresses too.)

spoonbender
30-03-2007, 04:07
Hi Free Flight and Zannamarie, :)

Maybe something in my post wasn't clear, but I actually don't have a problem with writing out links. For example, I can write http://www.tarot.com just fine, but if the 'tarot' in that link were to be replaced with 'invision zone' (again, without the space between 'invision' and 'zone'), it would come out like this: http://www.************.com - do you see what I mean? You guys DO see the asterisks, right?

So I'm guessing that words that are related to Forums have been banned. It must be a mistake though that the words are also banned in PM's (which are private, after all). And I'd like to know what other words are banned as well.

Spoon

zannamarie
30-03-2007, 04:21
Yes, I do see the astericks and what you are talking about.

I went and checked the FAQ and that site must fall under the realm of the no advertising or self-promotion aspect of the forum rules. See that section on http://www.tarotforum.net/faq.php?faq=ourrules_faq_item#faq_ads_faq_item

spoonbender
30-03-2007, 04:38
I went and checked the FAQ and that site must fall under the realm of the no advertising or self-promotion aspect of the forum rules. See that section on (snip)Yes, I know - that's why I said that I'm guessing words that are related to Forums have been banned. :) My only questions were: is there any way to make sure that this doesn't happen in PM's (because the P stands for Private, after all)? And is there a list of banned words somewhere?

Spoon

Alta
30-03-2007, 05:14
The deletion happens via the Forum software. The PM's are still private.

spoonbender
30-03-2007, 18:55
The deletion happens via the Forum software. The PM's are still private.Yeah, I know. Of course the deletion happens via the Forum software, and of course PM's are still private! Again, my two questions were: is there any way to make sure that the deletion doesn't happen in PM's, because those are private, and I'd think we can give links to Forums in private messages, and is there a list somewhere of all banned words, so it's out in the open what words aren't allowed.

Spoon

Moonbow
30-03-2007, 19:08
From experience I don't think that the deletion of certain words can be differentiated for Private Messages. A few years ago I had a word deleted in PM which was part of someone's name and address, (we were doing a trade), but we got around it.

I haven't seen a list of banned words either, and personally think that should be kept to Administration, I see no reason for the members to know which words the software removes, it hasn't been a problem in the past. But perhaps this is more a question for Admin rather than a Tech problem. You need to email Solandia.

jmd
31-03-2007, 01:16
PMs use the same database settings as Posts, so privacy has nothing to do with whether or not a word gets replaced by ***

Some of the words that are thus replaced are either so imposed by vBulletin, or Solandia. Those that are AT-specific include, as far as I am aware, a small number of swear words (which also unfortunately causes havoc with a genuine Tarot site based in Japan because it includes a sequence of letters that in English have an entirely different meaning), as well as only two or three (as far as I am aware) specific websites that have been known to have caused frictions in the past.

As mentioned by Moonbow*, you'll need to specifically ask Solandia if you have concerns about this, but have obviously found one of these in the process.