Ego and the Tarot

Stormwitch

By this I mean the ego's we can find among those of us who read in our community. I'm also not meaning those who have good self esteem. I'm talking about the kind of readers (this includes clairvoyants etc) who view Tarot reading in such a business/money orientated way that they become as competitive and underhand as a shoddy car salesman.

I've seen a lot of this over the years but it seems to be getting worse. Recently a woman moved into my town and opened a store. No big deal. Except everywhere she sees my signs on public boards, she takes them down and replaces them with her own. She advertises readings for $10 (I charge $25) but fails to mention that this is only for 3 questions and 15 minutes. (I have no limits like that either). I also know that despite never having met me, she is trying to give me a bad reputation.

People like this give everyone who reads Tarot a bad name, I find it childish in the extreme and very unspiritual. I don't this like woman, nor her ethics, nor her ways of enticing people into readings but I would never publically say so because it's the business of karma and spirit, not mine. We are meant to be here to help, not drive away others who are also trying to help.

Has anyone else had these kinds of experiences with people like this, or do you notice, as I do, this kind of horrible attitude in your spiritual community.

huredriel

Thankfully I've never come across this ....... yet! But this sounds horrible ...... one consolation I guess is that eventually people will suss her out, and she won't get repeat business ........ and you will continue to increase your querants :) ......... *what goes around comes around* ....... I love that phrase, and hopefully it will happen quickly for you in this case!

x Huredriel

Little Hare

I have seen alot of this played out within spiritualist churches and infuriates the holy hell out of me. It is so sad because there are a lot of vulnerable people out there that can fall prey to nasty egotistical people.

Even though its hard at times I like to send universal love to that person or persons and wish them the best on their life path.

Stormwitch

peace_pixie said:
I have seen alot of this played out within spiritualist churches and infuriates the holy hell out of me. It is so sad because there are a lot of vulnerable people out there that can fall prey to nasty egotistical people.

Even though its hard at times I like to send universal love to that person or persons and wish them the best on their life path.

I agree about the spiritualist churches, and it also pertains to other spiritual groups. I have long since given up going to such places because of the outright nastiness I have experienced there.

FaeryGodmother

Yeah, I've come across this in my community. Its one of the reasons I have less to do with the actual people who live in my area (spiritual people anyway).

Quite a few years ago now I met up with a woman who was running some kind of tarot school. Having read for nearly ten years at this point I wasn't particularily interested in joining her "school", but i was interested in chatting with and getting to know like minded others in my area. They are pretty much few and far between. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she was the most obnoxious woman who was conviced, 100% convinced that she was the last word on all things tarot. She refused to hear a word i said that didn't praise her and tell her how wonderful she was. It was a very disheartening experience. I don't think she ever actually tried to attack my reputation- I don't think she considered me competition to her. But it put me off going to any local readers for a very long time.

Little Hare

Stormwitch said:
I agree about the spiritualist churches, and it also pertains to other spiritual groups. I have long since given up going to such places because of the outright nastiness I have experienced there.

i'm with you! I find it so sad :( Oh well at least we have learnt from those experiances and can help others on their path

:heart:

Little Hare

FaeryGodmother said:
Yeah, I've come across this in my community. Its one of the reasons I have less to do with the actual people who live in my area (spiritual people anyway).

Quite a few years ago now I met up with a woman who was running some kind of tarot school. Having read for nearly ten years at this point I wasn't particularily interested in joining her "school", but i was interested in chatting with and getting to know like minded others in my area. They are pretty much few and far between. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she was the most obnoxious woman who was conviced, 100% convinced that she was the last word on all things tarot. She refused to hear a word i said that didn't praise her and tell her how wonderful she was. It was a very disheartening experience. I don't think she ever actually tried to attack my reputation- I don't think she considered me competition to her. But it put me off going to any local readers for a very long time.

This person doesn't happen to be an author do they?

*cringes*

FaeryGodmother

peace_pixie said:
This person doesn't happen to be an author do they?

*cringes*
not that i'm aware of. If she'd had anything intelligent to say I would have had more time for her. She was just a tin pot tyrant.

jmd

Stormwitch, I was going to suggest, if you are certain that it is her that is removing your advertising, that you introduce yourself to her and invite her for a coffee and chat - in other words, you each rely on income, and such bitter displays does both of you 'harm'.

After reading FaeryGodmother's post, however, I'm no longer confident this would be useful.

Still, I'd probably do it... it may be that if she is sensible and genuine, you both find ways to mutually support one another, instead of building up incorrect negative views each of the other.

If those negative views are warranted, then they shall also clearly emerge with but a brief discussion.

Stormwitch

jmd said:
Stormwitch, I was going to suggest, if you are certain that it is her that is removing your advertising, that you introduce yourself to her and invite her for a coffee and chat - in other words, you each rely on income, and such bitter displays does both of you 'harm'.

After reading FaeryGodmother's post, however, I'm no longer confident this would be useful.

Still, I'd probably do it... it may be that if she is sensible and genuine, you both find ways to mutually support one another, instead of building up incorrect negative views each of the other.

If those negative views are warranted, then they shall also clearly emerge with but a brief discussion.

Well as it happens I did happen to go into her store, I struck up a conversation with her which went very well (including talk about how the spiritual community needs to pull together and support each other etc etc) until she realised who I was. The negativity that hit the air was almost a solid mass, and she became very uncomfortable. It was quite apparent she would like me to stay as far away from her as possible, which I don't mind doing. She was nice enough to my face but you could tell that she rather I wasn't there.

I have had this reaction from people before, but it's always from those who are money orientated or have something to hide.

I was nearly tempted to go home, look in the mirror and see if I had a horn and tails!!

In respect to people who teach tarot, I've seen some very stilted learning come from some of those classes. Not all of course, but I've seen a few readers who turn out to be what I call 'rote' card readers. In other words they come away from the classes being able to point at a card and quote its meaning verbatim, yet unable to see the whole picture, or understand how other cards around it have an effect.