Irish Fairy Cards and I Ching

room

King Wen rolls over in his grave. . .

I've split this off from the main thread to make it easier for searches.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=18686

Since I bought these cards to fiddle around with the I Ching aspect, I thought I'd post an example.

Now, I know these are not cards for purists, I don't think the author is suggesting they are either, but it's simply a different way of thinking about the I Ching. I mean Irish fairies, come on, but it's kind of interesting.

The numbered cards are a straight correspondence to the 1 to 64 hexagrams of the I Ching. The names are not however, nor are the situations, but they do have a faint ring to them if you stretch your associative brain a bit. The fairy book has no discussion of the hexagrams, lines, or commentaries, just the poem for the card and explanation of the picture and oracular sensibility.

This is not a study, I will not be examining more cards. Gives you an idea though.

#16 - Most translate this as "Enthusiasm" as the Wilhelm book does.

LS I Ching of Love = Fervour
LS Success Cards = Totality

Sarah Dening's "The Everyday I Ching" translates this as "Thinking Ahead."

According to Huang's book, Yu originally meant "Delight" but today also means peace and happiness, and Blofeld translated it as "Repose." Huang follows the original meaning of delight.

Irish Fairy Cards = Happy Days

- True happiness is found by following the heart.
- Allow something of the Beyond to penetrate into ordinary life.
- Happiness can flow delightfully and playfully when our complex demands for gratification are out of the way--manifesting in simple things.
- The fairies Mae and Merry dance around the rose bushes, releasing their joy and love into the atmosphere; bringing the golden ray of self-worth into our lives.
-Effort, activities lead to talent blossoming; aspiration toward something more.
- A song and a dance with life will transform any gloomy mood into a positive, cheerful one.

So, it does tie in rather well to delight as well as the action and perseverance through hardship or unhappiness associated with #16.