Lord of the Rings Oracle, anyone?

shemsu sutekh

I'm cleaning out all my old boxes and I came across my Lord of the Rings oracle set, and I had completely forgotten about it!!

I've never used it, but I think I might. Does anyone else have this, and if so, do you get good results with it? I'm speaking of the Oracle Kit, not the Tarot deck. This one comes in a big box with a ribbon on the side, and inside it has a map, an oracle deck, a hardcover book, and a One Ring for pendulum work.

I'm so excited!! I totally forgot about it, it's like I bought a new deck!

Elven

Hi shemsu sutekh :)

I have this oracle as well - two sets, because one of the 'rings' was damaged, but I have decided that it is best to use just an ordinary plain normal 'ring', than to use the larger version which comes with set. It reminds me of a 'Lifesaver Lollie' (I dont know if you are familiar with them - but they look exactly like the 'ring', just a bit smaller and come in a dozen different flavours :p :)

I haven't used the Oracle in a while, but find the book well meaning, if not a little broad on its explainations and trying to get things to 'fit' into an interpretation. But the cards by themselves without the pendulum and the map excersise have given some good insight, though as an Oracle, I prefer the Taiwanese version of the Lord of The Rings Tarot - as there are more cards - and I seem to get some really excellent readings with the cards - especially a single card draw.

Maybe this Oracle calls you at the moment?
Let us know how you go with it for readings?

Blessings Elven x

Amashelle

I was going to start a whole new thread asking this very question, but I thought I'd do a search, first, and good think I did, eh? Why take up more room that need be.

Anyway, I have been wondering about this deck for a long time. It is not on the Aeclectic list of decks, so I'm wondering if that means it's hard to find now?

Also, I'm wondering what the art is like, as I learned of its existence through a book on different divination practices: they had a little picture of the book and box that it came in but couldn't make out the actual cards. Are there cards for each of the characters, or is it more scenery and events?

Maybe Google might give me some hits to answer that part of my question...

Anyway. Really I just want to know if it's a difficult deck to get a hold of, if anyone knows the answer to that.

cardlady22

There are pics and reviews at Joan Bunning's learntarot site. The link to Amazon gives this info:
Terry Donaldson
ISBN 080692053X
Dec 2001

*most of the reviews look disappointing

I am a major Tolkien fan, but I haven't been able to click the Buy button.

Aulruna

I agree the "ring" is pretty much useless (and plaster/cheap resin to boot!!).

But the artwork on the cards is really nice, as is the map that comes with it.
Admittedly, I have neither used the ring nor the map for anything, and use the cards purely intuitively with my own Tolkien knowledge. It worked okay that way.

I also used the cards as "event triggers" for fantasy roleplaying :D

Purrfect

Sounds like fun just dont put the ring on your finger for too long 'my precious'
I loved Lord Of The Rings and think this would appeal to many.

Chronata

This set is odd. Sometimes that's not a bad thing, however...

I bought mine for a dollar because it was missing the ring. I substituted a "One Ring" that was dangling from a LOTR bookmark.

The pendulum part of the reading is kind of a nifty addition, but the system involves the map, and place cards...

and I found it was just a whole lot easier to chuck all that and just use the cards like any other oracle...making up meanings as I go. You really do have to be familiar with the books (or at the very least the movies...) to do this, though.

The info in the book is a bit vague, but it's easy to make up your own definitions for the cards.
I like the concept of this set a lot...just not necessarily the execution.

Still, I have had some very accurate and interesting readings with them.

and the art is...I'll be nice and say...underwhelming.

WolfSpirit

I also bought this deck very cheaply, in a discount store - just could not pass it up.
I must admit I never use it, I made my own LOTR oracle from trading cards and I don't need anything else really...

WolfyJames

I bought this set a long time ago, I have to admit I had forgotten it. The ring in the set is very cheap, don't get the deck just for it at all. In my case though, I like the art, I find the cards pretty, I like the pastel/crayon style of the drawings, but then I've always had a fondness for pastel crayons, but the artist, like pretty much many fantasy artists who make mistakes with Tolkien by putting boots on Hobbits or beards on Elves and she makes a few mistakes here and there. Heck once I saw a cover of a Harry Potter book and Harry Potter had red hair while Ron next to him was dark haired. So I guess the art is really a personal thing, if you can get it cheap it makes one more Lord of the Rings item in your stuff if you're a fan of course.

I put on my blog all the images I could find online: http://strangerealms.multiply.com/photos/album/23/Lord_Of_The_Rings_Oracle

Rev_Vesta

Hi just recieved this set through Trade me (NZ auction site...).....pretty inexpensive really ... just did one card draw for myself and found it very accurate... really made sense right now after the weekend I just had...

I thought I better do a search before adding a new thread... so pleased i was able to read your opinions....

Even if it was from last year........yes inreagrds to the ring pendulum, felt like a lifesaver lolly.........haven't really had much of chance to get into it yet......just opened the pkt........

I suppose I should start reading instead of chatting lol

Vesta