Is it possible to get sued??

Pao

Hi everyone!

Reading a thread that Xiyang posted about certain readers who give off that iffy feeling, I remembered all the times I went to readers who I know for a fact were cons. (The one who sticks out is the one who told me I was possessed by satan, had just had an abortion (not having had sex) and my bf left bc he was gay and I would die from AIDS) I started wondering if its possible to sue tarot readers. I ask NOT because of the fakes but for the good ones who actually have the ability to read and such. I don't know where I stand on charging to read cards yet because I can see that if you are spending your own time reading for people maybe you should get paid since you are on your own time where you could be doing something else and I also see it as well if I'm trying to help people and I have this gift/ability I feel its wrong to charge them. Back to my question, lets say i read for someone... charged them whatever...I was thinking if its a bussiness, what are the chances of them suing you? Like what if b/c I'm learning I give a wrong reading the person feels misled and misinformed and comes back and sues me. I think I'll probably never charge for fear of this and with MY luck being what it is, they probably WILL sue me! LOL

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, specially those of you who charge for your services :)

Grizabella

You could make a little sign that says "For Entertainment Purposes Only" and put it on your table, if you use a table. Or put it on your business cards. That way you're not likely to be sued because you're forewarning people that it's up to them what they do with the reading and that you're making no promises as to your accuracy. That might be kind of an ego buster for people who want to be seen as being highly accurate and want to be taken extremely seriously, but it's a good way to cover yourself if you're worried about a law suit.

Sinduction

Well I can tell you a bit more. A client is not likely to sue since it would cost them money not only to hire a lawyer but also to cover court costs. Even in small claims it costs like $25 to even start. Plus, they could probably only come up with fraud and that would only apply if you had swindled them out of a substantial amount. Like hundreds or thousands of dollars to rid you of a "curse." I doubt the court would take a claim seriously unless there was a substantial sum of money, or multiple clients claiming the same thing. It isn't something I would worry about, I have never heard of it happening. Either with the law or in the tarot community. I wonder if there are even laws regarding tarot. I wish my supervisor would give me that as a research topic!!

I agree with placing the before mentioned clause at your table or even ask a lawyer what your jurisdiction requires to protect yourself.

Of course, all of that was in response to a hypothetical situation and is by no means offered as legal advice or opinion and I am not a licensed, practicing attorney. (just covering my bottom) :)

Kahlie

I never even had a complaint!
I didn't even think of the fact that people could sue me?! I'm not afraid of it either.

I deliver quality service and I do have a return policy! And the return policy is there in case people have problems with the Reading, me or my accuracy. I do not believe I have 100% accuracy, I do believe in what I do, and that complaints should be handled professionally and decently.

Kahlie

Grizabella

I think in some states here in the US, the only way to be able to read the cards is to make the disclaimer of "for entertainment purposes only". And in others, you have to be a licensed minister to call yourself a "spiritual counsellor" or something similar in order to read for money.

Stormwitch

A sign that says "For guidance only" normally should cover you. Guidance only means you do not have to take the advice, do anything suggested or in any way follow the direction given by the reader. If you choose to do so it is of your own free will.

Pao

yea I guess its a good idea to put that disclaimer for safety only. like Sindiction mentioned it would probably cost a lot to actually sue someone (I didnt even think of that! LOL) but since these days you can sue even starbucks for serving your coffee too hot it got me thinking. Although all of the "psychics" or "readers" I pass by don't have those disclaimers...

Pao

Stormwitch said:
A sign that says "For guidance only" normally should cover you. Guidance only means you do not have to take the advice, do anything suggested or in any way follow the direction given by the reader. If you choose to do so it is of your own free will.

o that might be a good idea as well. hm..

franniee

Pao! That is crazy that you had a reading like that - I have had a lot of memorably bad readings but that one takes the cake!!! What a joke!

I had a friend who got taken by a reader once for thousands of dollars - she was a gulible sort - I guess that goes without saying - this happened before we met - but when I met her we used to go to restaurants and all over the city for readings.....none were memorable really except the place with the potions that always wanted to sell us candles and crystals for cleansings and potions to catch our love!

Never occured to her or to us to sue for a bad reading but I can see how that could be a problem....but the sign for entertainment purposes or for guidance only seems safe to me. I usually tell my friends that this is for fun and if they get too goofy on me then I won't read them anymore.....some friends get crazy when I read them and things happen as I say and then they want me to read them 100X 100!!! makes me insane - so they get cut off.....if you can't tie your shoes without a reading you've got trouble! })

Stormwitch

Pao said:
o that might be a good idea as well. hm..

The main reason I would personally not use 'for entertainment purposes only' is that I feel then it is lowering the reading to the level of a card game, or something to not be taken seriously.