PDA

View Full Version : How does your garden grow '07!

Ankou
06-04-2007, 12:41
Hey folks,

I know I haven't been around AT in a while, but now that I'm starting to put seeds in the ground and watching the first little shoots come up, I thought I'd check in again.

I'm still fighting my poor "killing thumb" but I've been making excellent use of old chinese food containers and soda bottles and the mini greenhouse landscape gets bigger every day! I've got some bulbs in the ground and am viciously weeding around my wild mint and rose patches, trying to keep the little weedys from getting an early hold.

We've hit another little cold snap here on the East Coast US, and I've spent most of the day staring out the window, trying to will my little sprouts hardiness through the chilly weather.

I'm definately going to invest in starts this year...Hubby is just going to have to eat out a little less often ;) Good thing he can cook! (I certainly can't!)
Anywho... seeds I've got starting in the greenhouse city...

Lavender, Chamomile, peppermint, bergamot, tarragon, anise, sage, cilantro, catnip, basil, and some others I can't think of at the moment... hee....

My chives from last year are still thriving, despite my lack of skill. Our arrangement is I leave them alone and they'll grow...it works pretty well. The wild rose is propogating, and I'm trying some cuttings, from a light prunning. I'm slowly picking up little tricks and tips. In about 40 years My thumb might start turning green :)

So how about everyone else? I saw the thread about MingBop's dream garden... How does it grow?

Love Ankou

Briar Rose
06-04-2007, 14:09
I am further up north than you, in Massachuettes, ski ridge country.

We had snow all day. No garden yet.

BodhiSeed
06-04-2007, 22:15
Hi Ankou!
As I'm expecting my first grandchild in June, I've scaled back my herb garden a tad. I'm still growing my "tea" garden of bee balm, catnip, lemon balm and mint. I also have a few that I use for cooking: rosemary, basil, thyme and sweet marjoram. Though I expect to be busy playing with my grandson, I can't imagine not having a few herbs around!

Bodhran

LadyMedusa
07-04-2007, 00:19
I have a black thumb :(

My 13 yr old daughter however can make dog biscuits bloom :P.

She is currently sprouting parsley, thyme, chive, cilantro, and basil in pots on the kitchen table. Once the weather finally breaks she plans to add some small plants she is getting from the neighbor's garden (with permission of course).

LadyMedusa

Guiding Cauldron
07-04-2007, 01:33
I LOVE love love gardening. I try to grow from seeds, but will buy a ready plant as well from time to time.

Thus far I have:
apple trees - 2
eucolyptus tree- 1
spearmint
chocolate mint
roman chamomile
a lavendar bush
sweet peas flowers
hyssop herbs
spinach
carrots
carnations
privet bush topiary- buterfly shape
parsley
british mint
morraccan mint
orange mint
rosemary
mini gladiolus flowers
perious bush
pinkjasmine
corkscrew grass
calla lilies- 2
avocado
garlic
and working on some more seeds now that theres no more frosts!
i love sitting out n the evening listening to the seashell windchime, have a glass of wine and sitting on my wicker loveseat chair. with a candle terra cotta pot near by. :) bright blesings and happy growings!

Mi-Shell
07-04-2007, 02:09
So...
how does my garden grow?
under half a foot of brand new snow!!

Nothing can go in 'til May
we still have frost by night and day!

Ankou
07-04-2007, 09:40
Ah bless your hearts all you still snow bound! And here I sit worrying myself about the 30 deg nights... May all your weathers turn soon, so you too can enjoy the smells of fresh cut herbs in your hands and flowers at your door steps.

Sunshine, How many types of mint does a person need! Although I admit to having at least two different mints in my yard, I couldn't tell you what kind they are, alas they were here before me... I think a big part of my persistance with seeds is that I feel I'll recognise everything better if I grow it from the cradle...

brrrrr... Spring, come on!!!!!

Ankou

PS Bodhran Hello to you too! Your the lucky one with a little tyke to play with! Plenty of things for you to watch grow this year! My neighbor had a little one just 5 days ago. Maybe when she's a little bigger I can cash in on some baby sitting time. I may not want any of my own, but I do so love borrowing them from time to time :)

ravenest
07-04-2007, 12:21
We have just turned to autmn here.
I have had SO many peppers big green banana capsicums, not hot, but a bit peppery, they are great. Had em ina thai curry last night, but they are great stuffed and baked in a tamatoe sauce (stuff with rice, onion mushroom garlic and a splash of poomegranite juice (the middle eastern version)

Also SOOOOOOOO many magic purple king beans, they are purple then go green when cooked and when older you can shell them and cook the beans like peas, they are very tasty.

The growth has slowed dowwn thank goodness, now I can weed and mow and it doesnt get overgrown in 3 days. Time to dig up the vegie beds and plant green manure crops.

I've had some AMAZING bromiliad flowers latley ... ah, its all wonderfull!

lark
07-04-2007, 12:51
I have a hundred perenials under grow lights in the basement..did some clean up in the beds and herb garden....but now it's turned very cold again in the low 30's.
I'm just aching to get outdside again.

sharpchick
07-04-2007, 22:28
We've had the warmest March in many years this year, and I was well behaved. Only started some seeds of flowering annuals in the beds at the end of the month - we got rain and the seeds sprouted. All my flowering trees and shrubs bloomed. I carefully took mulch off the perennial beds. My climbing rose is just loaded with flowerbuds.

Fast forward one week. . . I was running my air conditioning this past Monday - the high that day was 85F. Last night I had to drape everything with my hodgepodge collection of old bedsheets, shower curtains and tablecloths, because we have had a killing freeze and will have another tonight. I brought all the small potted plants inside to my den.

:eek: Mother Nature always has the last laugh in the game of cycles.

Guiding Cauldron
08-04-2007, 03:09
Sunshine, How many types of mint does a person need! Although I admit to having at least two different mints in my yard, I couldn't tell you what kind they are, alas they were here before me... I think a big part of my persistance with seeds is that I feel I'll recognise everything better if I grow it from the cradle...

Mint- lol we have a lot of mint yes but really different in flavours. Some goes well to make a hot T, one is for mint sauce with lamb, and teh other mint is great for potato salads :) Besides i'm in england we LOVE our mint for food, drinks, dessert you name it! lol

wumpkie
08-04-2007, 05:13
we LOVE our mint for food, drinks, dessert you name it! lol OOOooooh yes :D

I've never been one for gardening, but this year I have got into it, thanks to my mum. I'm trying to grow potatoes in a pot seeing that they are easy to grow and some herbs. Ooo and not to forget my bamboo in my bedroom which rather than growing I'm trying to keep alive :bugeyed:
On monday I think I will buy some crystals to help along the process like moss agate and some more clear quartz.

I fancy lamb chops now... :P

Major Tom
08-04-2007, 06:01
I've attached photos of the lavendar and strawberries I planted in the vineyard recently. All grown organically, except I'm not certified. ;)

wumpkie
08-04-2007, 07:05
I love lavender, and I'm only just down the road from the Norfolk Lavender centre. On a different note... WOW you must have a really big garden to have a vinyard :D

Lillie
08-04-2007, 07:10
A month or so back we bunged a weeping cherry tree in the front garden.

It seems to have took, cos it is has loads of buds that are about to come out in blossom and leaves.

Which will be nice.

I'm glad it took, it would have been sad if it hadn't.

Elnor
08-04-2007, 08:08
Do you make your own wine, Major Tom?
I've had some from the Lamberhurst vineyards in Kent... English wine is luuuvely!

My poor garden is a bit of a joke, really. Because I haven't got one, (I'm on the 1st floor in the Victorian house where I live... so no garden access).
But the next door neighbour let his little front patch go to weeds, so several years ago I asked if he minded if I stuck some things out there- he was all for it.

So now whenever someone gives me bulbs or seeds, I put them out there- don't want to spend TOO much time or effort on it, in case he moves and a new neighbour might not be so willing to let me carry on with it, so it's a bit wild... daffodils, wild marigolds, and some dahlia bulbs I got last year for £1 but that did surprisingly well.

My poppies, (from seeds gathered when I went to Cornwall on holiday) last year were lovely- mauve and lavender! so I've re-seeded them again this year and am hoping they do as well again.

I can't really have any herbs out there- despite being a residential road, with a park opposite, the traffic is dreadful- I'd end up with carbon monoxide poisoning if I used anything grown out there in food! I envy those of you with herb plots. :cool:

elnor

Guiding Cauldron
10-04-2007, 21:52
well i made a willow trellis the other day for my sweet peas to climb, planted some spearmint, chocolate mint, and roman chamomile as well. :) Also added a beautiful cast iron chimenea in my garden space I can cook in it or just use it for a firepit to keep warm at night, lovley! Made another trellis teepee for my glads as they kept falling over, and repotted some plants to bigger spaces :) May your gardens grow beautifully for you xx

Major Tom
10-04-2007, 23:34
WOW you must have a really big garden to have a vinyard :D

It's an allotment. You can read all about it on my website. ;)

Do you make your own wine, Major Tom?

I do. You'll find a photo of the wine in demijohns on my website. I've just bottled it but haven't yet designed the label. Photos coming soon.

Have you thought of growing herbs indoors on your windowsills?

sunshineluvr - You make such beautiful wands. Would you like a piece of grapevine for a wand?

Ankou
11-04-2007, 06:54
Elnor- I'm in much the same spot living in downtown DC, but I figure I'm just building my immune system up ;) Plus, most of my herbs get used in craft projects... Never hurts to have nice smelly things hanging about the house, even if your not comfortable consuming them.

Major Tom- You lucky fellow, I didn't realize you could keep a vineyard in those climates? Certified LOL!!! hee hee....

Guiding Cauldron
11-04-2007, 07:18
I do. You'll find a photo of the wine in demijohns on my website. I've just bottled it but haven't yet designed the label. Photos coming soon.

i'LL HAVE TO TAKE A PEEK AT THAT, SOUNDS AMAZING :)

sunshineluvr - You make such beautiful wands. Would you like a piece of grapevine for a wand?[/QUOTE]

AWWW TY FOR THAT. YOUR PRAISE AND YOUR OFFER THAT IS. I WOULD LOVE A PIECE OF GRAPEVINE! I'VE ALWAYS FELT THAT GRAPEVINES ARE SUCH PILLARS OF STRENGTH AND LONGEVITY. WITH YOUR PRAISE NOW I KNOW I'M DOING THE RIGHT THING ON MAKEING MORE WANDS OUT OF OAK WOOD- 5 CURRENTLY. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO FOR YOU IN RETURN OF THIS GIFT FROM YOU TOM? GIVE SOME IDEAS AND I'LL SEE WHAT I CAN DO FOR YOU. BRIGHT BLESINGS XX

Azarial
12-04-2007, 00:36
My garden does not grow. We are under snow again right now, so no planting yet. We usually start planting in May here, otherwise it's just too cold to plant any earlier. I'm really excited to get out and get my garden growing, and get my watergarden under operation again!

Alta
12-04-2007, 01:15
....but now it's turned very cold again in the low 30's.
I'm just aching to get outdside again.Me too!! The temperature just refuses to go more than a few degrees above freezing and that just for a few hours some days.

lark
12-04-2007, 05:03
We're having a huge snow storm right now....again!!! I'm so-o-o-o tired of this. :(
We just raked all the gravel back into the drive way that the snowplow guy pushed into the grass and now he'll probably show up and push it all back out again...so back to square one.
My poor poppies...:(
At least I can go downstairs and visit my plants under the grow lights...they give me hope.

Briar Rose
12-04-2007, 05:32
Lark, I feel your pain!!!

I'm in New England and your snow storm is heading my way. It's suppose to hit on Sunday night with 12 inches.

What month is this??? Wait, oh it's Spring. Could have fooled me.

The seasons are tipping and we're seeing it in our life time. Now that is a scary thing.

I have no garden growing.

Alta
12-04-2007, 12:31
I went and looked today. Almost no signs of growth. Supposed to snow all day tomorrow.

I want to put away those shovels and get out rakes, etc, sooo much. :(

Indigo Rose
12-04-2007, 16:34
Oregon is in bloom, but still too cold to plant. I have a Hyssop that came back this year...wow...I was shocked.

Gardening provides food for the soul. :)

Hope it warms up for everyone soon.

:heart:

Guiding Cauldron
14-04-2007, 03:41
just a view into my garden world to share, enjoy!

Ankou
14-04-2007, 04:31
Oh just Heavenly SSL! I love your gnome! And is that sage growing rampant in the background of the first photo? Ah.... Warm Weather, Warm Weather, Warm Weather.....

My little indoor flat of tarragon just busted out in mad sprouts yesterday! sigh...I've got lots of little sprouts in the yard now, but I can't tell what's what yet...

I got myself a little gnome finnally this year. However, since my garden area is open to the whole neighborhood, I'm afraid he'll get stolen if I put him outside, brightly colored as he is... ah well, we'll figure something out :)

wumpkie
14-04-2007, 04:51
Your garden looks wonderful. Ps where did you get your nice chimnea from?

tarot4fun
14-04-2007, 07:51
I have two Pink Flowering Almond bushes that my grandmother got from her grandmother's garden. There is rosemary on either side of my front walk. A little volunteer sunflower was coming up -until a deer ate it the other day. I weeded under my little oak yesterday hope to plant some marigolds within the stone medicine wheel around the tree. Purple ivy is coming up and soon the mint will be peeking up. I will be putting something drought resistant along my neighbor’s stone wall (her wisteria hangs over the wall).

Guiding Cauldron
14-04-2007, 20:57
aww i'm glad you liked my garden, i find it heavenly for me at least :)
i dont have any sage yet, what you saw is either my lavender or my mint, they tend to get everywhere! lol

The cast iron chimenea i bought at a local garden center on sale currently- yah! I've been wanting one for a year now, so when it was £60 i grabbed one, its a bronze color but they do it in black, a verdigree, and bronze color. I got it at Van Hages Garden Center. I LOVE it cause you can use anything in it to burn wood, charcoal, etc. Its great to cook BBQ in over the fire and the BBQ tray swings out so its easy to get food in and out. Or you can just use it as a fireplace. :)

*NOTE TO TOM: Ty so much, I got the package today! Lovely, indeed I cant wait to get started!!

sharpchick
15-04-2007, 00:10
Our temperatures have fallen below normal now and we have been getting rain showers and/or thunderstorms every couple of days, making it difficult for me to stay in the garden for long.

I've contented myself with working on the hardscape. For the last five years, I've had a little pre-formed pond (about 430 gallons) that I have minimally aquascaped. The sound of running water is particularly soothing on warm - okay, make that hot - summer nights. But this year I wanted something different in terms of a water feature and when I was reading one of the three home and garden magazines to which I subscribe, I fell in love with the very clean lines of a - get this - galvanized steel stock tank. The one I got from a local agricultural supply company is round and is four feet in daimeter and two feet deep. I dug out the old pond, backfilled the hole and have leveled the surface with pea gravel, whch should prevent some "ucky" splashing of mud onto the sides of the tank during rains. I have my eye on a fountainhead at a local business, and will probably wander over there sometime this rainy weekend to buy it.

A couple of years ago I was the lucky recipient of some good sized snow quartz from a friend who discovered her dream parcel of ground for her home was actually about 3 inches of soil on top of a mountain of natural snow quartz. (She has dug and used a whole lot of it in her own garden, including some huge boulders big enough to climb on that were excavated when the house was being built. But when you live on a small mountain of the stuff, there's more than you can use. I thought she was incredibly generous to tell everyone she knew to please come and get all they could haul away.)

I've used some of mine to enlarge and encircle my outdoor altar. I also added some of the pea gravel inside the circle. I think it will be a comfortable and cool surface for my bare feet during ritual.

ravenest
15-04-2007, 09:04
Your 'pond' sounds great. I've always wanted one in my garden and when I moved to the country I started making one. But then one nigth I visited a neighbour who had a lovely pond and the sound of the frogs was unbelievibly loud (these little frogs that get in the trees around the pond - very LOUD ... all night) Now I know frogs are a sign of healthy environment but .... then my neighbour built a large pond in her front yard and even though they have left and the house is abandon and run down and about 700 mt. away I can still hear her frogs.

But you probably dont have swarms of frogs where you live or those noisey little Aussie tree frogs.

I remember one magical night we discovered the 'Moon Snails' in my friends pond pond ... no one put them in there, don't know where they came from. They are huge translucent water snails a sort of soft white colour that must live down in the deep part, they only come near the surface on dim nights, when you shine a light on them they sort of shrivel up and drop off the pond wall to slowley sink back down into the mysterious moon snail realm ... never seen them before!

Have fun with your pond :)

lark
15-04-2007, 11:35
I got my Brecks Bulb catalog today and there is a $25 dollar off coupon on any order!!!
I'm in heaven... :)
I'm going to order some Oriental Lilies...love them!
You put this little bulb in the ground and every year up comes this beautiful Lily plant full of flowers that looks like it belongs in a tropical garden....

The snows melting!

OHHH my brother-in-law has 7!!! ponds behind us and the sound of the frogs is amazingly loud!
But they shut up once they've mated....})

sharpchick
15-04-2007, 12:50
OHHH my brother-in-law has 7!!! ponds behind us and the sound of the frogs is amazingly loud!
But they shut up once they've mated....})

Yeah, then they are busy taking care of all the little tadpoles. . . })

Satori
15-04-2007, 13:44
My motherinlaw starts all our stuff every year. We just lost 500 lisianthus seedlings. She said they were so robust one day and the next they just all started dying. Boo hoo. We love lisi.

We have a head start on some lettuce, and herbs...I'll have to post some pics of my rock gardens. They have been neglected the last two years. This year they will get weeded. I promise!

In them I have:
jonquils
sage
oregano ornamental
oregano herb
bergamot
digitalis
daisy
english daisy which has yet to bloom for me...
lambs ears
daylily
vinca
veronica
melissa
peony
a fairy rose bush
thyme
and of course the odd hosta here and there
a crab apple tree

We have about 40 high bush blueberry bushes
some thornless blackberries
currants
gooseberries

This year we may add some miniature apple trees, most likely liberty and jonahgolds.

Every year we put in almost an acre of vegetables.

Every year we plant loads of sunflowers and even broom corn.

Guiding Cauldron
17-04-2007, 06:58
i feel like it was treasure day! i planted more seeds :)
watching ever so carefully to see if they grow well, planted:
azure flowers
golden green beans
sugar peas
lime basil
cherry tomatoes
roma tomatoes
calendula flowers
salad herb greens
rainbow chard

Guiding Cauldron
19-04-2007, 06:55
had my first spring salad from my garden today-- just heavenly!
baby spinach leaves, baby dandelion leaves, thyme herb, spearmint, peppermint then i had to add 1 tomato and a bit of chinese cabbage from the store to it with a dollop of mayo and a twist of pepper from the mill went great with a baked potato tonight :)

sharpchick
19-04-2007, 07:15
had my first spring salad from my garden today-- just heavenly!
baby spinach leaves, baby dandelion leaves, thyme herb, spearmint, peppermint then i had to add 1 tomato and a bit of chinese cabbage from the store to it with a dollop of mayo and a twist of pepper from the mill went great with a baked potato tonight :)

I am soooo envious.

I don't have enough space for sunshine loving veggies, so I am mostly content with flowers, shrubs and some potted herbs. Can't wait for the farmer's markets, though.

ravenest
19-04-2007, 12:16
I checked my 'stage 2' compost this morning and I didnt kill all the weeds so I have about 50 corriander seedlings coming up in it ... I've potted the big ones out.

Things have started taking off again, the Asian herby type things - Thai curries coming up - Yum!

Sophie
20-04-2007, 02:13
I live in a garden flat - there is a small but beautiful mature garden here, looked after by my landlords, though feeling the urge to do some gardening again, I've just offered my services. My little contribution to that pocket Eden so far is a mona lavender, which I have just planted, in a large terracotta pot. It's an indigenous hybrid, developed here in the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens, but I understand it's quite popular in North America and Europe. A lovely flowering plant, which flowers in autumn/winter (at least in the Southern Hemisphere) and into spring - light purple flowers, deep green leaves with purple underleaves.

As soon as I can I'll post pictures of the garden, and the mona lavender :)

I used organic fertiliser and a handful of small tumble stones, to encourage happy growth - and I gave it some reiki ;)

Here (http://images.google.com/images?q=mona+lavender&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title) are a few images of the mona lavender I found on the net.

sharpchick
20-04-2007, 09:04
Oh that will be stunning when it blooms.

Ankou
22-04-2007, 04:17
That mona lav is beautiful! can it be used just like any other lavender? The blooms are so full and open!

SharpChick, I've been thinking about a garden medicine wheel around our cedar out front. How is yours done? I would love to procure some large quarter donut stones, but alas they would have to be hand crafted and the only hands I can afford are my own right now! So I would love to know what you've done for yours to get some other ideas starting.

My sage seeds have finnally sprouted and are just busting up out of their plastic terrarium. Thankfully I think the weather may have finnally broken here. So maybe at weeks end if the warmth holds, I'll start transplanting the more vigorous little guys :) Early weeding is allowing my wild mints to take over the lawn, which should be just wonderful. I've always wanted an herbal lawn cover! Even if my lawn is only 10'x10' hee hee...

I'm of to the out doors to scowl at things for a bit!

Cheers

Guiding Cauldron
22-04-2007, 04:28
today the garden has new additions they are:

24 mixed lettuces seedlings
3 different tomatoes
2 strawberries
and 24 large pansies- antique and strawberry sundae pinks

i also got some great solar coulored dome lights to add intrest :)

Sophie
22-04-2007, 04:29
Hi Ankou,

Actually, the name "Mona Lavender" is a bit confusing. It's not a lavender at all, but a variety of Plectranthus. It was given its common name because of the colour of its flowers! You can read about it here (http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantoftheweek/species_pq.htm), under P.

I love sage and mint - but they need vigorous cutting back or they just take over!

Ankou
22-04-2007, 05:32
Ah if only I could get anything as nice as sage to take over! I'm learning alot about rooting habits with all the weeding though!

I looked up the medicine wheel garden and found this link

http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1096411113

It's a great starting article, including links to various garden/seed suppliers.

sharpchick
22-04-2007, 07:24
My sage and thyme are blooming. Thyme has such sweet, delicate little flowers. And the purple of the sage blooms is a true purple.

My iris should open tomorrow, and the lowest branches of my climbing rose had bloomed (near the ground), so I did not notice them till the breeze shifted and I smelled that wonderful scent.

Unfortunately, both my hydrangeas got nipped in our late freeze. I doubt seriously if I'll have much blooming on them this summer, and I'm waiting to see how much dieback there has been.

I've been in the garden all day, though - the weather today is wonderful. This morning I set my new fountain head and filled the stock tank. Turned it on and it has been happily splashing since. This afternoon I can take a breather and just sit and enjoy with a good book.

ravenest
24-04-2007, 13:29
Well, now I'll REALLY have to get my garden act together, the news says that next year (if the weather continues with drought) produce could go up 200% - Yikes! better get those vegiie seedlings in (and build a green house for winter!)

Guiding Cauldron
24-04-2007, 18:04
aww im so wishing i had enough space for a real greenhouse! i have a tiny plastic covered one for 2 trays of seedlings at a time and thats it. we currently rent our cottage so we cant place apermanent structure on the land part. I would die if i could grow in a greenhouse all winter! What joy that would be :)

sharpchick
25-04-2007, 01:17
I agree about the greenhouse. . . even a small glass room would be great, too. I'm thinking about the tropicals I could grow. . .some dwarf citrus even.

But my lavender is blooming. . . it's an English variety. And we are predicted to get rain for a couple of days. If the Gods smile, then it will be lovely soaking showers and after a few more days, my garden will be bursting with blooms.

A wonderful discovery as I took mulch off of the windowboxes was that the little lemony yellow snapdragons overwintered. . . :D

Ankou
27-04-2007, 10:12
So I've got a bunch of wild strawberries out in the yard, left over from the previous resident. My little brothe says that if you prune them back they will produce larger berries again. Has anyone ever done this? I've moved one indoors to try and domesticate it :) Feels like I'm talking about the alley cats...

The bulbs I planted in January are starting to pop up! Yeah! Transplanted some young sage to the outside today, and I'm crossing my fingers that it gets a good foot hold out there. Sometimes I feel like this gardening thing is a type of magic beyond my powers!

Love....

ravenest
27-04-2007, 10:48
I wihish I had a camera (again!) might borrow one so I can put some pics here. One type of my Bromiliads has bust into flower, There are 42 of them in the graden this morning - a bright coral scarlet colour.

First a flower stem emerges from the centre pool of water, It getas a frosty pink head (like Coconut-ice color and texture) then the head expands to a redder colour where the bumbs are, these get a puple dot, swell up and the bumbs open into flowers, firstly purple, then red then a sprig of yellow in the middle.

Don't know what the flowers are for (except fun and apprecitation) as there never seems to be any fruit or seed, they propagate by growing 'pups', small plants from the base of the original.

Guiding Cauldron
27-04-2007, 18:38
yes if you cut back your strawberrie plants it doe shelp them produce bigger beries, that is usually done at teh end of their season to get them ready for the winter when they "hibernate". They need no water dureing winter sleep time. However strawberry plants really only have about a 3 yr life span before you 'll need to replace the plants with better stock. Hope that helps :)

Ankou
28-04-2007, 09:48
Hey Sunshinelover,

Yes that certainly does help! Thank you! I don't know how long these plants have been around, but I don't see them in the winter at all. They are either propagating themselves and or hibernating in the root and coming back. I'll just keep going with my little experiments and see what happens. Knowing a little bit more about what to expect is always helpful!

I think I've got some sweet woodruff out in the yard too. If I'm right about half the plants I have out there already, I can get a wonderful herb garden going without having to dump too much cash into starts! Yeah... :D

TheBip
29-04-2007, 13:05
The weather here has been holding pretty steady (tho it was rather chilly last night) :) Today we mowed the lawn for the second time this year. The dandelions are flourishing, so mom called TruGreen ChemLawn today and theyre gonna come out and work on getting em under control.
Ive been working on our landscaping (still have quite a ways to go). Heres a list of the things I have growing...

In the ground: Iceberg rose, baby carrots (just planted today), sweet basil (in between the carrot plants, also planted today), Buttercrunch Lettuce (in front of the carrot/basil rows. Also planted today :) ) Also have strawberries (regular and wild)

In containers (outside): more Buttercrunch lettuce (in a window box), Nearly Black rose, Blue Girl rose, salad greens mix, thyme, chives and strawberries (pulled from the ground ^_^)

In containers (Inside): Norfolk Pine, Lemon Catnip (the cats wont touch it o_O), regular Catnip (the cats ate this down to just a nub), SweetPea, more Baby carrots, Moonflower, Hyacinth bulbs (the flowers and folliage have long since died back) and an Easter Lily (flowers/foliage also gone).

Im planning on planting the bulbs outside for next year :) Im also waiting on two plant orders from Michigan bulb and Audubonworkshop. Ive also got some Autumn Red Daylily bulbs that need to be planted tomorrow :) Im gonna be busy this year :D

Guiding Cauldron
30-04-2007, 21:52
i LOVE moonflowers! are they the kind that open up only at night right? They are SO lovely i havent been able to source any seeds for those as yet in the UK. Do we even get them here does anyone know?

lark
01-05-2007, 00:47
We planted up a storm yesterday...I lost so many plants to the cold this winter it was a barren wasteland out by the backyard flower bed.
We got 20- 20lb bags of compost and replenished the beds and I put out my 100 perrenials I grew under the grow lights in the basement.
baby sun coreopsis
russian statis
yellow harmony dianthus
esprit penstemon
old spice sweet pea
cherokee sunset rudbeckiacandy
candy cane zinnia
chedder pinks dianthus

This didn't even make a dent...so off to do one of my favorite things, go to my local nursery and pick out flowers...

So they are all out and in their new spots..now its water..water..water so their little root systems get good and established.

Today the herb garden gets a good hair cut and I have Salad burrnet and a sweet little new basil I'm trying called basilico finissimo verde a palla...such delicute little leaves..those grew under the lights too.
Some lavender, parsely, oregano, cilantro, and a few flowers and it will be all set.

Then the garden to do in a few days.

TheBip
01-05-2007, 12:27
I got my MoonFlower seeds at WalMart ^^ I cant wait till these plants are big enough to bloom. Theyre only a few inches tall right now :)

Guiding Cauldron
01-05-2007, 18:37
wal-mart eh? humm i may have to check there when i get there for a visit in June :)

Guiding Cauldron
03-05-2007, 20:08
well i think i baked my last lot of seeds in the greenhouse- oh no!!
went to garden center and got some:
french marigolds-yellow, to plant with the tomatoes
pumpkin plant, for my lil son to grow
dwarf sunflower plant and a, for my son to grow
Red Rum Lily flower plant
also a couple of bigger pots. :)

Guiding Cauldron
21-05-2007, 22:35
its chealsea flower show time again around here horay!!!! but alas i can not go this year - boo! :( All those lovely displays and plants to buy at the end of the week, i gues thats what telly is for lol i can just watch this year :)

although recently i have been in my lil garden and have some lovely additions. Hubby and I made 2 pea tented troughs for the sugar snap peas to grow on, Also there are yellow sweet pepper plant, satins kiss cherry hot pepper plant, and a long red italien sweet pepper to use for the grill. There is also an addition to the pumpkin patch along with my sons there is now a vintage italien pumkpin as well :) And theres is also a lil yellow round corgette plant. Soi i think our veggie and salad supply is growing along nicely for the summer time harvest :)

happy gardening everyone :)

lark
21-05-2007, 23:56
My garden is in....and growing like crazy already!
lettuce~ lolo rossa, green ice, and merveille
Green beans~ maxibel and straight n' narrow
Zucchini~ lolita
cucumber ~ salad bush and muncher
winter squash~ Tetsukabuto (this one is so creamy and good it tastes like custard!) and buttercup....Tetsukabuto needs a pollenator.
Harris model parsnips
Crosby egyptian beets (these grow almost completely on top of the ground.
Spinach~ correnta and a spinach mix
Mache
Kale ~ dwarf curled blue, starbore, and russian
Parsley
chive garlic
regular chives
oregano
thyme
salad burnett
lemon balm
lavender
pinks
butterfly bush
candy cane zinnia
butterfly weed (I always grow some flowers in the garden along with the veggies)
Tomatoes and peppers will go in after the 31st which is safer for us around here we had a frost two nights ago.

Does anyone plant by the moon?

This is my simple formula that seems to work.
During increasing light (from new moon to full moon) I plant annuals, any plant that completes it's life cycle within one growing season and has to be seeded anew each year.
During decreasing light (full mooon to new moon) I plant biennials, perennials, bulbs and root plants....this is also the time in the fall that I gather any seed I want to save over for the next year.

The lilacs are blooming and the columbines too and the baby house wrens are hatched in the nest in the clematis vine so all is right in my little garden.

Guiding Cauldron
30-05-2007, 01:39
aug! its been SO wet, my poor lil planties will drown with all of this drenching!! but alas rain is good..just in moderation lol :)

ravenest
31-05-2007, 15:54
You probably all know this plant ... it's all over the place and throughout history - cotton.

But I've never grown it before. It's amazing to watch it do its thing.

Its full of cotton ! ( well ... duhr!)

But it's actually quiet amazing!

Anyone here grown it , any handy, small -scale harvest hints?

Guiding Cauldron
11-06-2007, 03:49
ahh i was gifted a lovey couple of plants of cucumbers
and i added a gorgoues lil bitter orange tree :)
time to repot a couple of plants as well, looking lovely :)

BodhiSeed
11-06-2007, 04:32
You probably all know this plant ... it's all over the place and throughout history - cotton.

But I've never grown it before. It's amazing to watch it do its thing.

Its full of cotton ! ( well ... duhr!)

But it's actually quiet amazing!

Anyone here grown it , any handy, small -scale harvest hints?

Here in the southern part of Georgia, we're surrounded by acres and acres of this plant - lol! They say we never get snow down here, but when fields of cotton plants bloom, it sure looks like it!

Bodhran

sharpchick
11-06-2007, 06:37
If it's very small scale, you only need to figure out how to get the seeds out. And even if your hands are toughened from working without gloves, the dried boll has points that are like needles when you pick it barehanded. (Blood on the cotton isn't my favorite way to see it.)

TheBip
11-06-2007, 09:38
I wanna grow cotton! :D Where could I get seeds?

lark
11-06-2007, 11:32
Today for supper I picked three kinds of lettuce and some baby spinach and made a great salad.
It's the first picking and that always tastes so fresh and crisp.

HearthCricket
11-06-2007, 12:43
Here are a few pics of my garden, at present. We pulled a lot of things out, this past fall, and new things went in this late spring. It will be fun to see what takes well, what doesn't and how full it will look. My ultimate goal is to see what grows well and have it chuck full of stuff so you don't really see mulch, but rather the feeling of an English cottage garden. And if this works, we will have more sections done up in the front and side of the house!

Rhiamon
14-06-2007, 03:46
Here are a few pics of my garden, at present. We pulled a lot of things out, this past fall, and new things went in this late spring. It will be fun to see what takes well, what doesn't and how full it will look. My ultimate goal is to see what grows well and have it chuck full of stuff so you don't really see mulch, but rather the feeling of an English cottage garden. And if this works, we will have more sections done up in the front and side of the house!
HC, your house is simply gorgeous! I love your landscaping :)
Being from the north, I have always loved Magnolias, so the one gift of living in Georgia now is I could finally have my own...here is a pic of my little Charlie Brown Magnolia...but she is growing up to be a Magestic Beauty, I assure you :)

sharpchick
17-06-2007, 04:24
Anyone having a bigger than usual problem with whieflies this year? I hate to use chemicals any more than I have to and usually just take care of them with a blast of water from the hose.

It may just be peculiar to my region of the US. . .

celticnoodle
17-06-2007, 04:46
Rhiamon, I too, love magnolias, and miss having them around. they are gorgeous trees!

and, no, i don't think we have whiteflies here, sharpchick. we have enough problems with the deer, groundhog and rabbits eating our things! :laugh: but, I guess they have to eat too! just hope this year, when they start on one tomato, they finish it rather then go on to the next one beside it! and, i hope they remember to leave some of the herbs for us as well. we don't mind sharing, but last year they ate our cilantro right to ground before we had a chance to grab any of it! :laugh:

we have tomatoes, and tons of herbs. i still have a lot of dried sage from last year hanging in my house. i LOVE sage, and rosemary, and the lemon thyme and lavender. we plant all of those and more. my husband is more of the gardner then I am. In addition to being a plant killer, (not on purpose!), I just cannot take the heat and because of certain meds I'm on, I have to seriously limit my time out in the sun. we'd love to plant a larger garden, and maybe next year---nothing like your own fresh grown veggies!

we also have lots of beautiful flowers all around too. i have a sedum that came from a plant my grandmother had from the 1920's! that, of course is a very very special plant, as it is a 'granddaughter' plant from her plant! :)

Indigo Rose
17-06-2007, 05:55
I love all the pictures and stories of your gardens.
I'm so excited. This year our Cherry Tree is loaded with cherries. There are so many we can't gather enough of them. That's ok because we have some big Blue birds that are having a feast off of them. :)

Beyond that our Plum Tree is finally bearing fruit, my blueberries are taking off too...and we got our Concord grape vine in the ground. Last year it was still in the pot and gave us a small batch of grapes. However, I am really excited it's in the ground finally. :)

I have a Maple Tree that is now about 12 feet high. I started it from a seedling. It's the coolest thing. We have a lot of trees here and the wind blows so that seedling sprout up in our rocks. Right now I have about 20 seedlings sprouted in my rocks. If I plant all of them I could have a forest before too long. :laugh:

One more thing that makes me really joyful...my Jasmine vines. :heart:
I planted them 2 seasons ago and placed an arched trellis in front of our gateway. They have taken off and are in full bloom!!!

I don't have my own digital camera, but might borrow my son's and take some pictures. Gardens are a true blessing and can teach us the value of persistence and patience. There is no way to describe the joy that comes with seeing the fruit of your labor. :)

Thanks for the thread and for all the sharing.

:love: indigo rose

Mi-Shell
28-06-2007, 14:38
Oh BUMMER!!!!!
While we were away for a few days the moose ate all my Sweetgras and trampled my Sage plants and our Bear ripped open 2 logs of a retaining wall next to our "garden door"......
What a mess!!!

Little Hare
28-06-2007, 15:21
hello :D

I'm wondering is someone can give me some advice, i've done a google search but am getting confused. I'm interested in Growing sage that i can use for making Smudging sticks.

Would someone be able to tell me the type of sage that would be used for this? as there seems to be some different types (the googling i have come up with talks about European sage)

any help or pointing in the right direction would be great!

sharpchick
28-06-2007, 23:58
White sage (Salvia apiana) is what is commonly used to make smudge sticks. A couple of years ago, I thought I'd like to grow some.

I'm out of luck. I can get white sage plants through the mail, but not at my local nurseries. . . there we can get only common sage. That's becaue white sage cannot take the high humidity and summer temps we get in my Zone 7 southern US garden.

So my homemade smudge sticks will just have to be made of common sage. :(

HearthCricket
03-07-2007, 09:56
My garden doth grow and looks old fashioned, but a few changes will be made next year. The catmint and lavender is in flower. The bee balm, globe thistle, coneflower and day lilies have buds, the buds on the bee balm are actualy starting to open just a bit, and the lupine is going for a second flowering....isn't that nice of them for a first year planting? Must get some foxglove for next year, up against the wall....

Little Hare
03-07-2007, 10:59
White sage (Salvia apiana) is what is commonly used to make smudge sticks. A couple of years ago, I thought I'd like to grow some.

I'm out of luck. I can get white sage plants through the mail, but not at my local nurseries. . . there we can get only common sage. That's becaue white sage cannot take the high humidity and summer temps we get in my Zone 7 southern US garden.

So my homemade smudge sticks will just have to be made of common sage. :(

Thank you Sharpchick for replying. I am now off and hunting in the Australian nursery's to see if they stock any
xoxo

ravenest
04-07-2007, 12:02
I've been venturing up (hacking) into the wilds of my back yard. I attacked a big lantana bush yesterday and discoverd 7 different species of rainforest trees coming up underneath it. Also there are about 15 native tamarind trees as well (about 3 feet high). (I also found a black snake's nest - he was sunning himself next to it). I've decided to clear another 20 meters and plant out where it's a bit bare. It should be a great little spot ... in about 10 years.

carbon
08-07-2007, 21:24
I'm an obsessive when it comes to my herb garden, i've just had to expand it because i've run out of room!

I have 2 circular lawns, one with a fire pit the other has an altar (and a half grown Thyme lawn) I love obscure/slightly unusual plants. The garden is a mixture of herbs used for magic and healing and also the odd strawberyy plant here and there for if i get peckish when i'm weeding!

Is there any way you can post pictures on here? Id love your opinion on what i've done.

Love & Blessings
Carbon

sharpchick
09-07-2007, 00:45
This week, some long ago planted and forgotten gladioli bloomed - gorgeous purple flowers (in my zone, you just kind of treat gladioli as annuals, and either dig and lift them for storage in fall, or plan to plant year after year). As we were to have storms on the day that the blooms opened most fully, I cut them and made a vase of a pitcher for my bedroom.

BodhiSeed
09-07-2007, 01:56
Anyone having a bigger than usual problem with whieflies this year? I hate to use chemicals any more than I have to and usually just take care of them with a blast of water from the hose.

It may just be peculiar to my region of the US. . .

Hi Sharpchick,
Have you ever tried Neem oil? It's organic, and you can mix it with water and spray it on vegetables, herbs, etc.

My purple coneflowers have been in full bloom and my black-eyed susans are not far behind. Alas, the heat and drought have brought my annuals to their leaf knees.

Bodhran

sharpchick
09-07-2007, 03:00
Hi Sharpchick,
Have you ever tried Neem oil? It's organic, and you can mix it with water and spray it on vegetables, herbs, etc.

My purple coneflowers have been in full bloom and my black-eyed susans are not far behind. Alas, the heat and drought have brought my annuals to their leaf knees.

Bodhran

I have not, but now that you recommend it, I will look for it.

Thanks.

Guiding Cauldron
01-08-2007, 21:46
oh i have immensly enjoyed my garden this year.

I've already had all the spinach and mixed lettuces, i've dried all teh chamomile blooms, i'm drying mountains of mint lol, i've already dug up the garlic, had beautifull mini purple glads bloomed and dug up the bulbs for resting over this winter. Been haveing small bitter oranges so far. the pansies are finally on the way past prepareing for winter seeds. the geramiums are still lovely but alas the mini carnations are past now. the sweet pea flowers are now past as they bloomed really early and i've collected teh seed pods for next year.

currently have been picking sugar peas like crazy :) have some lovely golden yellow round courgettes growing, my pumpkin plants are doing nicely with lil green pumpkins growing :) the eucalytpus tree is doing great. I grew an avacado tree from seed and it has 6 sets of leaves now :) i planted a maple tree seed and now have abright red maple tree growing as well. :) loads of herbs are still blooming and being smelly :) potaoes are doing well, iris flowers are now past, as is the red lily.

i LOVE seeing plants go through their cycles and just enjoy teh peace of my garden. :) Already planning next year! lol I know i'm sick arent i?!! lol

love and light xx

TheBip
02-08-2007, 08:58
The lovely birds planted some sunflower seeds right under the bird feeder *lol* And the sunflowers are so pretty! I didnt know they grew so fast o_O Just a week ago they were as high as my knee, then I came back from vacation the other day and they've bloomed! My roses have also bloomed :D They smell delicious, tho japanese beetles are feasting on them! *goes to wage war against beetles*

ravenest
03-08-2007, 12:51
The first stirrings of spring have sprung (down here). We had heavy frosts this year and now everything is springing back. The ceder trees are covered in new red shoots. The animals are getting frisky. On Imbold night I went to watch the full moon and saw a wiggly line across it ? As I watched it got closer and I realised it was a bird flying 'out of' (in front of) the moon right at me, it swooped past my head - a very large owl,

yesterday morning there was a crazy cacaphony of Kookaburras. It went on and on as I was waking up, then I realised it was close. Right outsdie the window on the ground there were 3 kookas dancing and singing (one was singing the bass line!) and the dance was so crazy I cant even begin to describe it.

I have 2 strangler figs, 15 blackbean trees, eucalpys, hoop and bunya pines, Jacaranda trees and a port wine magnolia all ready to go in the ground.

Also I have gained a large area of new backyard after a lot of winter clearing. I discovered a big ceder tree that has been bent by vines and cleared 3 times resulting in a tree that loops down to the ground, touches and curves back up in a spiriling loop. That is gonna grow into one crazy tree!

Also I dug up the Yacon (Sth American 'ground apple) I planted in summer _ can't believe the yield! I sold 20k to the supermarket.

Now I have turks turban pumpkin [ http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pictures/p04/images/cucurbita-maxima.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pictures/p04/pages/cucurbita-maxima.htm&h=450&w=298&sz=22&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=0Bam6yKz1dqClM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=84&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTurk%2527s%2Bturban%2Bpumpkin%26gbv%3 D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN - look at it upside down - it looks like two different pumpkins glued together] seed on order. I'm going to do a crop of that.

HearthCricket
04-08-2007, 00:19
Our garden has been so experimental, this year, but we have been pleased. A few things will be moved around or taken out and replaced with something else. We also have been having relenting heat and no rain. All the storms keep missing us and we only get a few drops. The herbs have held up wonderfully and the bunnies have stayed away. The black-eyed susans are just coming out, but I am praying the heat doesn't do them in. The heat did do the bee balm in, and it barely lasted a few days in flower, which was disappointing. All my lavender and sage is growing like crazy, as is the globe thistle and coneflower. Our pussy willows took wonderfully, and our new trees, from last year, really filled out. It is hard to believe that within a few weeks the mums will be at the nursery. You have to get them right away or they sell out and that is it for the season. It is too early. I wish they would wait until late August or early September, when it is cooler. Right now they would perish in this heat wave, which is supposed to last 10 days! :(

TheBip
04-08-2007, 10:07
My poor Hydrangea, Butterfly Bush and some other butterfly flowers (dont remember which ones) have all croaked :,( Ah well, at least the nursery is sending replacements... I know it was the heat and hardly any rain that killed em :(

Briar Rose
04-08-2007, 12:32
My garden is very overgrown with big leaf weeds.

There are too many mostquitoes here, and when I get out of my they are in swarms of 20 in my face.

It's just not worth it this year.

I make up for it at work, and have a lovely indoor garden.

yaraluna
05-08-2007, 07:06
i love gardening but with my hectic summer schedule things get bad. we did plant lots of flowers and sunflowers came up from last year's crop. also, zuchini, chamomile, and some nicotine type plants from the south...Chilean climbing flower.

unfortunately, i don't know yet how to grow a herb garden. i have tried year after year and they just don't happen. only one year about 5 years ago my herb garden grew to some extend. any tips on herb gardens is appreciated.

for this fall i will be planting bulbs since that is one of my favorite things in the garden.

ayra

Guiding Cauldron
06-08-2007, 17:38
depending on where in canada you are you may need a coldframe to start your herbs in early spring that way by the time your warmer weather gets there your herbs have a great headstart and youll have bits all summer! :)

sadly this is my last year for a garden until we move next year to canada then i have to wait and see where we're living to see if i can have a garden next year :)

yaraluna
08-08-2007, 07:06
depending on where in canada you are you may need a coldframe to start your herbs in early spring that way by the time your warmer weather gets there your herbs have a great headstart and youll have bits all summer! :)

sadly this is my last year for a garden until we move next year to canada then i have to wait and see where we're living to see if i can have a garden next year :)

thanks for the tip. where in canada are you moving to??!! how exciting!

yara

HearthCricket
10-08-2007, 23:58
My black-eyed Susans have come up lovely, this year, and we added more in other parts of the garden, too. They mix nicely with coneflower and catmint! Very cheerful faces!

morticia monroe
11-08-2007, 10:54
When David and I were married, he planted a huge vegetable garden every year. I can't think of a vegetable we DIDN'T have. I was the one who canned the tomatoes, made the salsa, made pickles, picked the berries and made jelly (mayhaw, blackberry, dewberry, huckleberry, muscadine, scuppernong). He had the greenest thumb, and he just LOVED working in the soil, he was very spiritual, and was always most at peace and happiest when he was digging and planting, cultivating, giving the Earth love...
Funny thing was, he's a Hell's Angel. Everyone thinks of them as horrible, evil people. He had one of the best souls I've ever known, and we raised four children. Mother Earth sure did love him,, she produced like crazy.

Guiding Cauldron
05-09-2007, 22:10
shapeing the topiary, stocking the wood for the outside fireplace and just enjoying as next year is up in the air as far as gardening goes :)

ravenest
20-10-2007, 12:46
I just got a job at Bio-Dynamic Association Australia.

Does anyone here use these processes in their gardening, growing, etc?