moon sign and rising

nina

Hello,
I know this is a very elementary question, but can somebody give me a clear explanation of what your moon and rising represent? It seems each book I read gives me a different definition.
-Nina

AquarianGoddess

Hello Nina,

No astrological question is ever elementary!

The Moon ALWAYS represents our emotions...how we feel, act and react emotionally. It's responsible for our moods and subconscious (sp?). For example, Moon in Aries can react very passionately to situations while Moon in Cancer can brood, cry and want to be left alone if something is bothering them. The house where the Moon is placed and the aspects it makes to other planets in the chart further modifies the emotional nature of a person.

The rising or ascendant sign is how the world sees us, or what we choose to show the world about us. A Gemini rising can walk into a room and begin socializing and joking, whereas a Scorpio rising will walk into the same room quietly and stare, hoping not to be noticed! Usually when we meet a person for the first time, we're meeting their ascendant.

AG

meatbox666

WoW!!
I am scorpio risiong and I hate people looking at me. I am always hoping no one notices me. I am a scorpio sun also, but everyone notices me....Everyone Notices me. Everyone notices me.

I kind of like it too at the same time. Leo Moon.

nina

Hello,
See, that short, plain English explanation is a lot easier to understand than a lot of the deliberately obtuse stuff i've read lately. I'm a Cancer with a Scorpio moon and an Aquarius rising, which I guess explains why everyone I'm close to says they had a totally different impression of me when we first met than they have now- also I notice I'm always very drawn to Aquarians as friends, I feel like we "speak the same language".
-Nina

Minderwiz

Hi nina,

You will also find that Aquarians are drawn to you - the way you behave and your body language will send out familiar signals to them. You for your part will find that initially the way they behave is in tune with how you want to project yourself and how you see yourself fitting into the world.

However you also have a need to act on your feelings and emotions - both consciously (Sun) and subconsciously (Moon). You might have noticed that Aquarians are actually a bit analytical and often don't seem to have emotional attachments to things. Your Cancer Sun is probably quite happy to hide in the Aquarian shell but you will surprise your Aquarian friends with the strength of your feelings and your desire to protect friends and family. Your Scorpio Moon will gives you intense and passionate feelings - there are things and people you care about with a real and deep passion.

Its likely that the first time they see this side of you your Aquarian friends are going to say something like - 'I didn't know you had it in you!'

Exactly where these feelings and emotions express themselves depends on your house placements.

best wishes

Minderwiz

nina

those crazy Aquarians

Hello,
What's so fitting with what you're saying is that while I've had many close associations and friendships with Aquarians, I always end up frustrated with what I percieve as their lack of feeling. I love to let my mind go on crazy trips but I never lose sight of what's important (to me), meaning the issues and people that touch me emotionally. Everyone I know constantly tells me how smart I am but I always know I have to FEEL my way.
A close Aquarian friend put me in my place recently. I was frustrated with what I saw as her lack of empathy.
I said, "Sometimes I think you don't have any feelings."
She said "No, I do, I just don't have yours. How boring would the world be if everyone felt just like you? You're heart is just bleeding. I don't know how you have time for a clear thought."
I had to admit, I don't have clear thoughts. I can't think without emotion.
-Nina

Minderwiz

I have an Aquarius Moon and therefore I can empathise with much of what you said about Aquarians - for me it pushes me towards emotional independence, a tendency to analyse my emotions rather than simply reacting and when I do react I feel a need to be objective or at least to make an attempt to be objective - even when I should be being subjective.

It's taken me some time to begin to accept that my deeper emotions are valid even if they are not rational and that independence and objectivity are not always what is needed. I still find it difficult to react to someone displaying strong emotions - not only because of my Aquarian Moon but also because of my rising Saturn - a planet of restriction - in opposition to my Aquarian Moon. I do try to draw on my Scorpio planets to try and give some balance, not easy but worth the effort.

You might also look at some of the other placements in your chart and draw on those when you feel that your usual reactions my not be quite what you need in the circumstances. Our charts give our natal potential, they don't determine what must happen - you just have to work at it.

Minderwiz

meatbox666

LOL,
Your friend said she has feelings but not yours. LOL, man thats deep!!

ladycj

Need a good Resource

So where do you find a book that explains all of that in plain English? I've looked a several books, but always feel like I still have no clue how it works.

Blessings.

Minderwiz

As you say there are lots of 'introductory' books which can often leave you even more confused. I like Alan Oken's Complete Astrology as an introductory book.

Astrology takes a lot of reading and thinking and re-reading to get to grips with. This is partly because there are so many ways in which it can be used and partly because some of the techniques, especially House meanings, are to say the least hotly debated. However I have found it an extremely rewarding pasttime.

Minderwiz