what is it with me and water/earth signs?

lonefrontranger

before i start, here's a link to where i posted my birth data:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1075084&postcount=66

ok so for most of my life i've thought i had aquarius rising, when in fact it seems it's capricorn (my mom probably made a math error, cos i know the time/place is correct for that listing). i only found this out a few months ago when i built a chart on astro.

so that changes a few outlooks, obviously.

my question mainly has to do with interpersonal relationships tho, and i have a feeling it may be due to all the mitigating planets i have, and that they may be in some way 'overwhelming' my sun sign.

i guess my question boiled down to the simplest is: despite being a leo (fire) sun sign, why do i find myself most drawn to friendships, stable careers and long term romantic relationships with primarily earth and water signs?

i'm currently engaged to a scorpio (could be freudian? my dad's a scorpio...) and most of the stable love and friendship relationships throughout my life have been with water or earth signs, including an 8 year LTR with a taurus that ended amenably and we're still close friends to this day (and i adore his wife, who's a cancerian).

my boss (whom i get along with better than any boss yet) is a scorpio. my best friend in the world is a taurus. my second best friend is a pisces. these last two i'd say are the sort of people i'd lie down in front of a moving train for, and they reciprocate this trust and loyalty.

on the other hand, i can't for the life of me seem to get along *at all* with fire signs, tho 'traditional' compatibility seems to indicate we'd get along fine. logically i know this is pretty foolish, but on a 'gut response' level, i'd have to say that leos, particularly leo men, tend to trigger an almost instantaneous reaction of dislike and/or avoidance for me. my gemini mother and i are estranged. i tried to date an aries to whom i was intellectually attracted but all we did was fight. my ex boss is an aquarian and i found i just could not trust him - he gave me a weird feeling from the start and i ultimately discovered that he could not be trusted.

I am not a very good interpretive astrologer, at all, so i really don't know on more than the most basic shallow level what all the chart positions really mean. it's something more that my mom was into.

my main reason for asking this question is to be more understanding of what has become almost a gut level instinct response of either affinity or distrust / dislike on my part. i usually *don't* know someone's sunsign right off the bat (i don't ask, as it tends to squick people out) but upon later discovery it's almost always a 'yeah, i was right' sort of thing.

thoughts? insights? tell me i'm smoking something?

dadsnook2000

The basics

The basics of your chart tells a lot about you. You have 4 points in Fire, 4 in Water, 4 in Earth -- and 0 in Air (which is why you can't relate to that boss).

Your personal experience axis is Capricorn-Cancer, Earth and Water. Although you have 4 Fire planets, they are not as strong as the Earth and Water planets. Venus trines Saturn (attraction to stability and/or older people) which you may not have had much experience with yet. Venus squares Neptune and the MC so there is a challenge here that fogs up the Saturn influence because Mars squares Saturn -- stop and go situations, which add to some confusion as to why Saturn and Neptune are having a hard time being constructive.

Sun and Mercury are near your Descendant -- suggesting that your clear thinking mind is often tuned to bouncing ideas off of others. In this case, the "others" tend to be Water Sign people who feel things rather than think things out. Again, this takes the edge of things. You are so close to being in control of your life, just a little more work will get you to your goals. But, the Fire people and Air people aren't there for you just yet. Dave

lonefrontranger

this is good

Venus trines Saturn (attraction to stability and/or older people) which you may not have had much experience with yet.

this in particular stuck out for me... i've recently begun to view my 20s and 30s as sort of an extended childhood / adolescence where i felt somewhat 'stuck' or just didn't want to move on and become more of a mature responsible adult. ive been coming to terms with that, and definitely have had my ups and downs. i think i was more lashing out AGAINST stability and responsibility, if anything, which seem a good way to go nowhere much in particular in US society.

as a datapoint, most of my friends and partners in the past ten to twelve years have been younger, not older. my fiance and i are a mere 9 months apart (he's 11-2-67 to my 8-1-68)

most of my friends and colleagues are still mid 20s or in college. this is mainly due to my job, i work in a biotech field with a bunch of interns and moonlight as a collegiate intramurals coach, so hanging out with a lot of 'kids' is kind of an unavoidable part of work (that i actually very much enjoy).

dadsnook2000

Saturn and Venus

When this pair of planets come together it almost always comes down to two issues: either there is an age difference in those we relate to (us or them or older) or the Saturn person chills or restrains the Venus person in terms of that relationship (as seen from the Venus person's perspective).

This isn't exclusionary to any other interpretations but these two effects seems to be the most common. Dave

.traveller.

dadsnook2000 said:
When this pair of planets come together it almost always comes down to two issues: either there is an age difference in those we relate to (us or them or older) or the Saturn person chills or restrains the Venus person in terms of that relationship (as seen from the Venus person's perspective).

This isn't exclusionary to any other interpretations but these two effects seems to be the most common. Dave

That is fascinating, I wonder if the effect is similar when it is Mars/Saturn instead of Venus/Saturn? I'm so glad I clicked on this topic, it really led to an ah ha moment.

dadsnook2000

For .traveller.

I would say that you could substitute Mars for Venus relative to Saturn. With Mars and Saturn you get a "stop or go" type of situation. Mars tends toward activity, showing passion and haste, being physical -- while Saturn tends to be cautious, conservative, restrictive and structured. These and other keywords for each of these planets essentially boil down to "stop or go" conflicts.

In terms of how we express these in life, this depends upon how these two relate to each other in a chart. Consider these positive expressions:
** Conjunctions; disciplined actions.
** Opposition: tug-of-war, indecision, need to compromise with others.
** Square: haste, starting over, starting often (very little room for "positive")
** Trine: alternating, being active followed by a period of retreat (more effective than the opposition in terms of accomplishment)

These are only generalities. You have to factor in other aspect patterns and house positions. Dave

.traveller.

So these influences are both felt in an individual chart, as well as manifesting in relations with others. This just cleared up a major mystery concerning my "stop or go" behavior in various levels of my life. I just never understood why I do the things the way I do. I wish I knew more about astrology so I could ask intelligent questions.