Checking your readings against another method?

Miss Reesha

Do any of you check your tarot readings against oracle readings/rune readings etc to look for accuracy? I'm really new to tarot but quite proficient with runes so I have taken to doing another reading using the same spread with my stones after a tarot reading to help me with my interpretation. Is that bad? Runes are much simpler than tarot, I find... a lot less detail but I find that the general feel of the spreads are very similar.

tarot4fun

Whatever helps your reading is a good thing~

Miss Reesha

No, I definitely understand what you're saying. My runes are well used and very very connected to me at this point and I trust what they tell me. They have been a wonderful reflection of my life for many years now. With tarot my deck is new, my experience is small and I am still uncertain of how to read the cards so I think doing a rune reading beside it or after it helps me see things I am not seeing. (I think anyway!)

Pao

runes are simpler? wow I never really looked into runes thinking it looks sooo complicated and Ill never fully get it or learn it well. how interesting. I do use my oracles with tarot though, its always a good way to clarify things for me :)

Miss Reesha

My friend had a set of runes and I asked to borrow them. My very first reading I did for myself was so overwhelmingly personalized and accurate that I felt instantly bonded to them. The rune meanings are less specific than tarot cards which has its pros and cons. One of the reasons I've decided to take up tarot is to enable myself to perform more detailed readings for myself and others. All in all though, there are 24 runes, 16 of which can have reversed meanings. This would seem to limit, but like I said there is a lot of room for interpretation. I really love them and would highly recommend The Book of Runes (not the one by Ralph Blum, but by Francis Melville). It has a really wonderful history section, many beautiful illustrations and photos, detailed meanings and some great advice on how the 'stones' were traditionally made in ancient times.

dadsnook2000

Astrology and Tarot

Down on the Astrology forum I ran a series of readings to those requesting them that involved a 3 card tarot reading and the use of the Sun and Moon (by house location and phase relationship) and transits to those two bodies. You might think that this was very little grounds for doing readings but the results were quite good and detailed. It was gratifying to see how each system told the same story in its own way.

I had been thinking of doing these forms of readings on the web but my work on a book right now is taking up all of my time. Dave

piscesjill76

I'm pretty new to Tarot, and I had only done a few readings on myself. One night I was surfing MySpace and stumbled across an Astrologer. He offered to do a free reading for me, and I was STUNNED as to how similar his reading was to what my cards had been telling me. It only further solidified my beliefs.

Umbrae

I've often used Runes and Tarot together for readings. But I never check 'Accuracy'.

The whole Accuracy argument is one that should be avoided IMO.

If I’m really really accurate, is my sitter going to just think, “Oh my, it’s fated” and sit on their hands and not attempt to bring more happiness to their own lives? Usually – that’s what happens.

I remember once hearing Mary K Greer, and Rachel Pollack discuss the dangers of accuracy in readings.

That said – I do find that combining oracles in one reading (Tarot + Runes), can provide complementary contextual readings and give solutions that can provide opportunities for the sitter to implement positive change in their lives.

Miss Reesha

That's a really good point to hear. I was thinking of accuracy in more of the present and past sense as a way to feel good about the tarot readings that I am learning to do.

Josipa

I have to agree with Umbrae here. I've had a couple of readings were my past and present interpretation seemed to ring such a bell with the querent that when I mentioned their future tendencies (this is how I see future cards), especially if very positive, like getting a job or something similar, they would actually do absolutely nothing in the next couple of weeks and then call me to ask if I could read for them again, because something most have been wrong with their reading since the job didn't knock at their door! So, I'm not that keen on actually hearing that I've got it absolutely right because it often limits people in actually getting out there and going for it.

Josipa