How To Tell A Reading Works

Apocalipstick

Since I started doing readings online, I've had to adjust my reading style. With face-to-face, or phone, being able to tell right away if I what I say makes sense is pretty much unavoidable.

With online, not so much.

I have noticed, however, that as I write some readings I'll just get a sensation of it "clicking," for lack of a better term. In varying degreees, most readings with positive feedback have fallen into the "clicking" category.

Then there are those readings that, even when I know I have a perfectly workable interpretation going, I'm nowhere near the mark with the reading. Again, for lack of a more precise term, I just don't "feel" them as I write. And these are the readings that, predictably, garner feedback that ranges from neutral to "I just don't get it."

Granted, I never expect a reading to succeed or fail, and I'm nearly always at least a little surprised when the sitter responds positively, but that's beside the point.

Anyone else experience something similar in regards to online readings? Where there are readings you feel, and you just "know" they'll turn out, or readings that say nothing to you, and you're not surprised when the sitter tells you what you're saying doesn't quite make sense?

The crowned one

My blood pressure goes up I think...as my head gets warm when I get on a roll. seriously.

Sinduction

You know, I was just thinking about this after I posted in the newbie readings group. The cards were hard for me to read this time. I prefer to do my online readings through instant message. It is easier to ask questions to clarify. I do a lot of readings in a certain chat room, I actually am in between readings there right now, and I am so right on. I get bombarded as soon as I sign on for reads or for people saying how their read came to pass.

I don't know if it's an online thing or not. When I read I kind of become a therapist and help my q's to work through whatever the cards are telling me. I wonder if it is that lack that makes it harder.

It also might be that these im reads I do are 4 cards and majors only. I really don't know. What a great discussion! :)

shadowdancer

I have done over 220 readings online and know exactly what you mean.

You often get a really good flow going, the typing is fast the words come onto paper quickly and you just 'know' you have got it right.
Feedback usually reflects this. You also find straight away you have hit the right area for examination, and all the cards seem to back up and support the one theme throughout the reading.

You then get other readings where you have to work a bit harder. You sometimes read back and tweak what you have typed.
This often indicates to me the issue is complex and difficult for the querant to really get a handle of, but again the reading is deemed accurate. My feelings just seem to mirror what they are feeling and experiencing.

I have never yet had a reading (touch wood) which has been off the mark to be deemed as inaccurate, but I will say I have had a handful where I have had to work incredibly hard to just make what I have typed make sense.

I don't know if you have read my previous postings but with online readings I also use a pendulum the following way:

Most readings I have no idea who the querant is other than their name and the fact they want a reading (most don't even ask for a specific area to be covered).

I then dowse for the right spread (I have 400 in 4 indexed sections on a card system)
I then dowse for the deck

and of I go.....lol

I then dowse at the end ascertain the following answers:
"Is this accurate, clear and detailed enough?"
Does anything need either amending, deleting or adding to?"
"Is this in order to post now, as it is typed in front of me?"

Only then to I post the reading. It only happens possibly 5% of the time have to add something or change something at this stage.

But yes, your gut feelings as you type are a good indication of how 'good' the reading is.

Hope you have a lot of future successes with the online readings. I have had to put mine on hold for a while as my energies are not really up for it, due to a serious family illness which is reaching a head. This is taking my priority for now

Davina

caridwen

Since I am in fact a vampire hunter I thought I'd chime in here:p

I look at the cards and wait until something comes to me and much prefer the reading time and space when online rather than face to face. However, that is now after a couple of bad incidents rather than forever, I imagine.

Yes sometimes I hover over something and need further clarification from the querent whether or not I'm on the right track but knowing that I'm hovering usually means I've hit something relevant.

I'm also sometimes waaaayyyy off track but that's usually with face to face stuff for some reason, possibly because I need the time to look at the cards and feel uncomfortable doing so with someone breathing down my neck...unless of course they are a vampire:D

celticnoodle

oh yes, Apocalipstick, I feel much the same way when I do online readings too. I recently did some readings online, and the cards I dealt, I felt were not hitting the mark, and wondered if I should just pick them up and start over again. But, I don't do that, because I would never do that face to face. I try to make my online readings like my face to face readings.

however, a few times, when the cards did not seem to speak to me in an online reading, the client came back with feedback that said things like "Wow! You hit that one right on!", so I don't know. No-one ever said Tarot would be right all the time. I guess you just have to go with the flow, and when you hit the mark, be pleased. If you miss the mark, just move on with your losses, hopefully learning something in the process.

Just recently though, I did do a reading for someone online, that did not seem to be right & they confirmed that they could not identify with it. Later, someone else called me for an online reading, which I did. It turned out "okay, but not great". When they explained the reason, it was wierd, because the first reading that the client could not identify with would have been right on for this client! Now, has that EVER happend to anyone????

edited to add: I must admit though, I'm more at ease with the online readings then I am with a face to face reading. I get very nervous with the face to face readings, though I have a better record of hitting it right on with those readings!

Sakura Murasaki

I do a lot of my readings online because it seems that most of the people around me are not interested in readings. I'm sure if I put myself out more, I'd find more people, but right now I'm in college and find that online readings are less stressful.

I agree, though, that there are times when the readings just "click" and times when I need a bit more clarification from the other person. I have yet to be completely off before, but there's a first time for everything. :)

Alta

Hi Apocolipstick, and my reply is also 'yes, me too'.

Sometimes I literally feel as if I am fighting the cards for meaning. Like they are being recalcitrant and turning their little backs to me. And yes, those are the readings where the querent is either extremely polite and bland in feedback or outright is puzzled or says the answer isn't relevant.

Of course that can happen in any venue, not just online.

The crowned one

The crowned one said:
My blood pressure goes up I think...as my head gets warm when I get on a roll. seriously.

I should add I actually hand write mine as when images,words and idea's start to flow I use a sort of short hand to get it down as fast as possible. I type at about 2 words per minute.

I take the question and write it on my writing pad, sit in the living room and lay out the cards, then I start to write, only some cards make my head warm up & tingle in every reading, I concentrate more on these.

Apocalipstick

This is all very interesting. Especially since I don't get this on or off type of feeling when I read face to face.

There it's usually something along the lines of how quickly I can see patterns of interaction between the cards, so I'd have to say it's more of an analytical process.

Must be one reason why I don't get flustered or uncomfortable ftf. I get into the puzzle the cards present a little too much to feel self-conscious. On some level, I don't think I'm particularly aware of me as I read.

Online, the puzzle is still there, but my engagement woth it is not an indication of how the reading will turn out. That's all in the gut reaction I have to the cards as I type.

Can't say I've used a pendulum for this. Interesting method. The times I've wanted to double-check a reading, I used a different deck. Pretty much the same cards usually show up.

celticnoodle said:
When they explained the reason, it was wierd, because the first reading that the client could not identify with would have been right on for this client! Now, has that EVER happend to anyone????
Yes! Except the reading fit my situation rather than my sitter's. And that's a weird feeling. Turning over the cards and attempting to tell the sitter what's what even as the story of what's going on in my life just now stares me in the face.

The first time it happened, I finished the reading, but only just barely. It was no success. As it happened, I was reading for a friend; after the reading he said, "This fits you more than it does me."

LOL. You should've seen the look on my face.

I've learned to pay attention to that since. If it happens, and it has two-three times since, I'll politely tell the querent to hold on, and I'll reshuffle. That yields much better results.

Of course, I don't read professionally. I assume it's easier to stop and restart if you don't. A client may find it off-putting if the reader just stops and starts over.