Pro reading venues

What venue represents the bulk of your pro reading income?

• Home / Office / Private space

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Personal website / phoneline

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • eBay (or other auction site)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Online service (Keen, Kasamba, etc)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Outsourced Phoneline service

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Meta store or Cafe (which takes a cut)

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Public readings in (unaffiliated) Cafe / public space

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Fairs / Parties / Special Events

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other (please describe...)

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

Scion

Hey y'all,

This is a thread sort of following from the recent questions about online services, phonelines, and reading in shops etc. I'm doing research on professional readers and wanted to get a sense. I'v e listed options above but I'm not sure I've covered the bases. Any elaboration below is greatly appreciated.

For all those pro readers out there, where do you do the majority of your readings for paying clients? Or to put it another way, what venue provides the best source of income for your Tarot business?

Thanks in advance for any info you can add to the mix. :)

Scion

Chronata

I have become almost exclusively an event reader.

I have a number of big (two or more days) events that are staples for me throughout the year, that are based on holidays or other special ocassions (like the Mardi Gras restaurant readings, and a Florist's anniversary every October)

But I also do quite a few readings through a friends Entertainment company. He books special events,(parties, corporate gigs) and they usually want me to go overtime, which means I keep whatever I make in those hours, without needing to give him a cut.

Plus tips, or course!

I used to be much more of a client based reader...with a steady base of about 40 clients that booked me for personal or party readings regularly, and many other good references by word of mouth. I did a lot of business in coffee shops, open houses bed and breakfasts and spas.

But that was when I was in a metropolitan area. When I moved to the Wisconsin "country"(even though I am in a Lakeside tourist town) the opportunities became much much harder.

You would think, surrounded by resorts and spas, that I would have a lot more clients here. but I don't. There is a still a bit of a superstition around here!

Sulis

I voted 'Personal Website / phoneline as that is the place where I read professionally.

I don't do many readings through the website though and I think that most of my readings aren't professional readings (as in I don't get paid).

I would love to read professionally face to face but I have health problems which mean that I'm not too good at making appointments and keeping them.
I don't have anywhere to read from either.

celeste

The majority of my readings generate from either my office or home. I do about 2% over the phone, and 2% by email but only for people whom I know and trust will pay me later.

Moonbow

I read from home and sometimes by email. Also sometimes in the car at lunchtimes. :)

I would say all of my readings come about by either word of mouth or my business cards, (and a good friend in the metaphysical shop who makes sure they don't get buried!)

But reading isn't my 'real' job so whether you count this as professional, I don't know. I get paid... in sterling too... mostly :)

MCsea

I love the option personal space... thats how I feel when Im reading - home in someone elses home.. at a computer on holidays Im in my personal space...
I get most of my clients by word of mouth and I think they like I can accomodate their needs using modern technology :)

MARINA

Satori

I just found another potential opportunity for my readings. Indoor flea market! There is a huge one in a nearby town and it is in a brand new building. The rental for a table is fairly cheap, $30.00. I don't know all the details yet, but even if I book for a couple times a month...sounds like I should recoup table costs. So, that may be other.

I wish the poll had multiple options. Up until recently I would have checked home parties and meta shop together. Right now it is the parties exclusively. I'm on Keen.com now, but still haven't had a call yet.

lark

Yup, I needed mulitple choices too.
I do phone, internet, fairs, parties, and shop readings.
People like something to take away with them so I use business cards and a small flyer in which I tell something about myself and my reading style...people seem to like that.
At fairs people often use what you write on your flyer exclusively to chose you as a their reader.
At one fair I am one of 8 readers so the competition for clients can be high and what you write in your flyer makes a big diference.

How do I know this?
I ask...Why did you pick me?...if they are not a repeat client, they almost always say because of what they read in my flyer.

Elven

I have been reading at a cafe for a while now - and love it.
I dont pay them anything to read there - I do however, include a free coffee for the Querant, which I pay for, and so bring return business - and this works really well.

They involve me in thier cafe activites, such as the Magic Winter Festival, and have the opportunity to earn some extra money.

I have been asked to work two days a week now - this started in Summer - and has really helped business dollars.

I have done readings at a conference - the money was incredable! But I dont do parties.

Blessings Elven x

mac22

I voted "other" because I read in 3 day spas and have a nice growing p/t business.

Mac