PDA

View Full Version : Help with Quoting

blackairplane
26-04-2007, 05:52
Can somebody help me understand how to isolate a statement in a post as a quote and reply to it? I try everything and it does not work - and worse there isd no place to practice to see if you are doing it right without screwing up a forum. I am EXTREMELY computer illiterate- warning.

Sulis
26-04-2007, 05:58
Hi Blackairplane,

There are 2 ways to do it.
Either click the 'quote' button at the bottom of the post you want to quote and delete what you don't want in there.

OR

1. Highlight the text you want to quote with your mouse then 'right click' on it and choose copy.
You will now have the highlighted text copied.
2. Hit the 'reply button and type [ quote=name of person you are quoting ] -but leave no spaces between the square brackets and the 'quote' - I left spaces so I wouldn't get a quote box.
3. Right click again and choose 'paste'
The highlighted text that you want to quote will appear.
4. Close the quote box by typing [/quote]

Forgot to mention - to highlight text hold down the left click button and move it over the text you want to quote.

Does that help?

blackairplane
26-04-2007, 06:02
Hi Thanks for helping me with this. To let you how bad I am with computers- I have a laptop with a touchpad and never have used either of the click buttons on the bottom right or left- don't know what they are for. I don't know how to highlight.
The first method seems easier to my mind- When I delete the other persons info do I leave the brackets? the word QUOTE, their name.?

Sulis
26-04-2007, 06:04
Hi,

I've just edited my post to tell you how to highlight the text.

And yes, when deleting the text you don't want, make sure you leave the brackets and the 'quote=whoever' - also make sure you leave the forward slash, the brackets and the '/quote' at the end.

blackairplane
26-04-2007, 06:04
Does that help?

I am trying this out. In this case I have deleted everything but [Quote=Sulis Does that help? [/QUOTE]

blackairplane
26-04-2007, 06:06
I've just edited my post to tell you how to highlight the text .

I am trying again Thanks. It seems to have worked last time.

blackairplane
26-04-2007, 06:07
Ok now what if I want to quote three or more parts of their post. Do I just surround each statement with the brackets and quotes? Will this work?

blackairplane
26-04-2007, 06:10
Hi Blackairplane,

There are 2 ways to do it.

Lets see if this works

1. Highlight the text you want to quote
Am I getting two boxes?

[QUOTE=Sulis}Does that help?[/QUOTE]

This seems weird

blackairplane
26-04-2007, 06:12
My last one did not go in a blue box because I typed the wrong bracket behind the word Sulis?

blackairplane
26-04-2007, 06:31
Thanks sullis! I am good to go now with your help!