Pro readers in Pennsylvania, USA: be warned

moon_shadow

Heh.. that's awful! :(

connegrl

Yuck! I wonder if this applies to readers who have up signs saying 'For entertainment purposes only'.

Jen

shelikes2read

I saw this in today's Philadelphia Inquirer.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20070427_Who_knew__Law_shuts_city_psychics.html

[size=+2]Who knew? An old law shuts psychics[/size]

Alerted to a forgotten state ban, Phila. authorities have closed at least 16 storefront fortune-tellers. One alleged discrimination.

By David O'Reilly and Michael Vitez
Inquirer Staff Writers

Philadelphia's fortune-tellers didn't see it coming.

Suddenly they're facing a very unhappy future.

Alerted to an obscure state law banning fortune-telling "for gain or lucre," the city's Department of Licenses and Inspections is closing storefront psychics, astrologers, phrenologists and tarot-card readers who charge money for their services.

Inspectors had closed 16 shops since Tuesday, Deputy L&I Commissioner Dominic E. Verdi said yesterday.

"We were not aware it was a crime," he said, "but the Police Department came to us a few days ago and showed us where the crime code prohibits psychic readings.

"We looked into it, and it's clearly illegal. I was surprised."

Fortune-telling for profit is a third-degree misdemeanor. The law has been on the books for more than 30 years.

Verdi said that he did not know how many shops operated in the city, but that he expected inspectors to close more in the days ahead.

Inspectors are not imposing fines, and police are not making arrests, Verdi said, "but they will if these people try to return to work."

Most so-called psychics, he said, "are not little old ladies with kerchiefs on their heads" but clever con artists capable of stealing large sums - even life savings - from grieving or otherwise vulnerable people.

The owner of Psychic, a fortune-telling shop at 2041 Walnut St., sat on his steps yesterday and complained bitterly about the police action. He would not give his name or his lawyer's name.

"First of all," he said, "they've got to stop the 129 murders in this city. What we do is entertainment."

He also said the police Major Crimes Unit had shut him down even though he had bought a business license from the city and paid taxes.

"Shouldn't they be cracking down on rapes and murders, not palm readers?" he asked.

He also demanded to know whether tea-leaf readers in Chinatown were also being shut down. He doubted it.

"They're discriminating against Gypsies," he said, although he said he was born and raised in Philadelphia.

Finally, he noted that critics "considered that Jesus was a psychic, a fortune-teller, and they crucified him."

He saw a certain parallel.

"Look what they want to do with the fortune-tellers," the man said. "We might be coming to the end of the world."

In the city, perhaps, but apparently not in the suburbs, where fortune-telling seemed to continue unaffected this week.

A man who answered the phone at 6 p.m. at Psychic Readings by Lori, in Narberth, was happy to schedule an appointment but wouldn't grant an interview.

He said he hadn't been affected by any crackdown, and had no opinion on what was happening in the city.

He had to go. He was busy!

Contact staff writer Michael Vitez
at 215-854-5639 or mvitez@phillynews.com.

shelikes2read

What really annoys me is that I, who live in PA, have known for several years that this law against fortune-telling is on the books. How is it that Licensing and Inspection wasn't aware of it?

Oh, that's right, because they were making MONEY from it.

I wonder if the people who paid for a legitimate business license, only to have their livelihood derailed because Philadelphia authorities suddenly "rediscovered" this law, can file a class action suit to get their money back.

Mind you, I'd bet anything that the reason for the crackdown is that they're trying to get rid of the scam artists who con people out of their life's savings to remove "bad luck" and curses and all that garbage. Unfortunately, now the decent people, of which I'm certain there are plenty, are now getting punished along with the vermin. Something's GOT to be wrong with that.

The crooks need to go to jail. I'll be the first one in line to proclaim that. But there's got to be a way to get the con artists without quashing the livelihood of the honest people and the "for entertainment purposes only" readers.

Astraea Aurora

How poor is this? :confused:

Of course, there are always so-called psychics with bad intents. But they don't do us any good. I see the use of the police doing everything they can against them. Those people are criminal in my eyes. Unfortunately the government doesn't want to see the differences. Treating everyone the same way is discriminating and degrades every reader with good intent, especially in his honor and ethics.

How poor you have such laws in the US. It's so sad. I feel with every reader who is affected by this.

Astraea Aurora

Elven

It might be an idea to rally the troops - err... readers that is ;) to get the law over-turned or reworded, changed in some way.
Im not sure how it works in the States - here in Australia we have different laws - but it doesnt sound fair.

Someone seems to have a gripe against psychics.

News coverage is always good - so is writing to the editor everytime an article is published on the subject.

Unfortuneatly the scammers - and con artist who use the industry are obviously made good with getting a large sum of money from someone, and this may have started the ball rolling to remove everyone.

Tarotbear became a Minister so he could operate legally. Im wondering if there are alternative routes to go down so you could still work as a reader - and not a psychic maybe - Spiritual Interpreter?

I hope you can keep us updated on the progress of this - it will be interesting to see how it pans out - especially if it happens in the future to other States.

Blessings Elven x

Grizabella

What a shame! But someone had to have reported it in order for them to suddenly start cracking down and once that's done, they're required by law to enforce the law, no matter how outdated it is.

I wonder if there's any way to get the law repealed now. Probably not.

My guess is that someone who got a reading that didn't come about or who went to one of the rip-off artists made a complaint.

A group of legitimate readers in the area could get some customers to band together with them and try to get the law changed.

Little Hare

I agree with Elven, Rally the troops!, hell start a petition if you want i'm sure most of us here would sign it! that is just so silly.... sending you all prayers and pixie dust

wytchwood

Would it not be possible to re-package what you are selling, so to speak? Change from 'fortune-telling' to 'psychic counseling' or something. If you could get together the psychic community who have been affected, and get a good lawyer, you could establish that your new practice doesn't break the 'law'.
It sucks by the way.

Zoe