I just burned my deck..

Tree Sprite

My little Tarot Nova was one of my favourites - my handbag deck, my daily deck, my Friday footy tipping deck,and a reliable well humoured deck that always gave me good readings. Then it had a terrible accident involving kerosene fumes that puckered and lifted all the coating, swelled the pack to twice its size, and made it totally unreadable.

So I hung it in a tree to get some fresh air, ordered another (different) replacement deck and waited. The replacement (Visconti) has arrived and settled in, the house was quiet, it's a beautiful starlit night, so I lit a fire in the brazier in the back yard and burned my deck. One by one, I acknowledged the cards and put them on the fire until they were all gone, thanked them for what they gave me and said goodbye.

It was a good way to go out....

AJ

What an interesting story. That is the only deck I own that I've never read with, It's hard to shuffle. I'll get mine out and use it for my deck-of-the-week next. See, from your ashes a new user grows ~

Bings

I'm sorry for your loss. But thank you for the idea. My favorite deck has been damaged and I wasn't sure how to say good-bye to it. Now I know.

saoirse1561

I too have a damaged/old deck stored away in the back of a drawer. I couldn't throw it away but I never knew what to do with it ... this is a great idea!

Briar Rose

I am so sorry you lost your favorite deck like that.

But good idea about what you did with it.

Papageno

toss a bit of incense into the pyre as a sweet blessing while you send it on it's way :)

Tree Sprite

Papageno said:
toss a bit of incense into the pyre as a sweet blessing while you send it on it's way :)

Yes - I'm lucky enough to have space in the sun for a few herbs, so a branch of rosemary went along too...

~Amethyst~

I wish I would have seen this thread weeks ago before I threw out my Tarot Nova deck. I had it for years and was never able to read with it. I would have rather it have gone to a better home than the garbage.

diane drizzy

I've always had a special place in my heart for the Tarot Nova.
What a lovely story you shared-and such a dignified and respectful way to treat old friends.

sleepingcat

Sorry to hear about your deck *hugs*

but that's a really beautiful thing to do with something so personal and cherished. I'll remember it should anything unfortunate happen to any of my cards *knocks on wood*