PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Fans

Little Baron
02-05-2007, 21:43
I have had my laptop for about three years, and every year, it dies.

It gets to a point where the fans become dustyy or clogged and it needs to be sent away so they can be cleaned; otherwise, the laptop gets so hot that it cuts out continuously - especially when I am doing anything a bit more demanding than just typing. Which is not good for my design work as at it's worst, it cannot handle scanning one picture without turning off.

I have asked, over and over, the tech support people that I have sent it away to if there is any way in which I could clean these fans myself. Nobody has ever been able to give me an answer. But each time that it is sent away to be cleaned, it takes two weeks. And that is a long time to be without it - for me, anyway,

I apologise if this is not in the right place, but does anyone know how to clean these fans? I can see that there is a screw at the bottom, which holds a cover to the two of them. I don't want to release it and try without seeing if anyone else has ever done this before. I have tried using extra fans, lifting the computer so there is more air to circulate and none of this has helped. They just get hot to the point where they burn to touch.

Driving me mad ... again.

LB

Baroli
03-05-2007, 02:15
LB,

If I remember correctly, I addressed one of your problems with the heat of the lap. You are using it on a flat surface, and when the machine can't get air to circulate around the parts, it gets hot and you end up burning up your drive and everything else in the lap. All because it cannot breathe. Go and buy an inexpensive Targus Podium Coolpad. They can be found on their website as well as Tigerdirect, or whoever you want to use. I believe they are about 20.00 USD I don't know what they are in the UK, but I am telling you you will save the life of your lap. This piece of equipment was recommended to me by someone who makes their living with puters and I trust her judgement. Now to the problem of cleaning your fans. Again if you allow them to breathe they won't get so much dirt and junk collected. To clean them, I don't believe you have to send the lap away. All they do is take one of those cans of compressed air and blow it through the machine. If it is dirty they take a q-tip and gently wipe the dirt away. I don't know if that will solve your problem with the dirt, but do get the coolpad. You will be glad you did. :grin:

Baroli

Little Baron
03-05-2007, 02:21
LB,

If I remember correctly, I addressed one of your problems with the heat of the lap. You are using it on a flat surface, and when the machine can't get air to circulate around the parts, it gets hot and you end up burning up your drive and everything else in the lap. All because it cannot breathe. Go and buy an inexpensive Targus Podium Coolpad. They can be found on their website as well as Tigerdirect, or whoever you want to use. I believe they are about 20.00 USD I don't know what they are in the UK, but I am telling you you will save the life of your lap. This piece of equipment was recommended to me by someone who makes their living with puters and I trust her judgement. Now to the problem of cleaning your fans. Again if you allow them to breathe they won't get so much dirt and junk collected. To clean them, I don't believe you have to send the lap away. All they do is take one of those cans of compressed air and blow it through the machine. If it is dirty they take a q-tip and gently wipe the dirt away. I don't know if that will solve your problem with the dirt, but do get the coolpad. You will be glad you did. :grin:

Baroli

Thanks Baroli. I will go get some air and a coolpad. I hadn't considered the compressed air. I will try and get some. Cheers Matey.

LB

Little Baron
04-05-2007, 08:13
I think I have done what you asked Baroli.

My parents bought me some compressed air, which I belted through the back at the fans. I am not sure if it did anything, but I also went through the keyboard as well.

They also bought me this thing that you stand the machine on. It is still 'flat' but it has a big fan on it to cool the laptop. Is that a coolpad? It is still getting hot, but you can feel the air moving about underneath, which I guess is helping.

Hasn't cut out yet. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

LB

Tabby
06-05-2007, 22:33
Thanks for the info on Laptops, as I have barely ordered me one. And thanks for the info on the coolpad, that is going to be the next thing I get when I get my Laptop.

Little Baron
06-05-2007, 23:12
Still seems to be ok. I will report back again and let you know how things are going.

LB

Baroli
07-05-2007, 06:51
Well, as long as there is air circulating and the lap is ok, so far so good I say.

The thing with laptops are that because you have all these components that are squished down and put into a much smaller place, they tend to get hot.

Sounds like you should be ok. We shall see.

Baroli :D

Cielo
07-05-2007, 07:45
Now I have to go and order one of those coolpads, I think! I'm always having my laptop on my lap and it's always burning my legs ....lol...and I'm thinking one of these days it'll simply burn out all together! Thanks for the tip, I didn't know they had something like this! :) Cheers!

GoddessArtemis
14-06-2007, 16:14
I have had my laptop on a Targus Portable LapDesk Stand http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4217006 for the last three years. It not only saves my lap from getting hot, but it allows the laptop to breathe and not collect/breathe dirt and lint from whatever it's sitting on.

The Targus Coolpad is a bit more fancy, and looks like this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4217005

Both help the laptop breathe and not kill the hard drive through overheating.

I really recommend either/or.

GA

Baroli
14-06-2007, 21:30
I have both and they are worth the price. They keep my Laps from heating up and me having a warm lap :D They also keep the lap on a small enough angle so that the keyboard becomes ergonomically correct, or as correct as it is going to get. But they are well worth the ticket. I had no idea Walmart carried these. That's the best price I have seen them.

Baroli