Okay, now I'm totally confused....

Heavensent

Okay, I just read somewhere here on AT that oracular devices are just a reflection of the sitters spirit. So does this mean that Tarot and everything else doesn't work? Ahhh, :confused: I'm so confused. Is this all just a hobby that I was taking seriously? How can the readings I have had echo the same thing? Is it me (my feelings & emotions) controlling the outcome and not a higher power along with the spirit world? Was all of my readings a lie? Were they not for guidance and the people reading for me were just being polite? Please someone help :(.

Abrac

Heavensent said:
Okay, I just read somewhere here on AT that oracular devices are just a reflection of the sitters spirit.
This is a good question and one that gets to the heart of mystical teaching.

According to mystical doctrine, our spirit is one with the Source, or higher power which is in everything. When we practice divination, we are consulting Source via our own spirit that is in us. This concept can be difficult to grasp, especially if a person has been taught from an early age that Source is outside of oneself.

Furnacechant

Hey, ANYTHING posted here or anywhere else can only be considered as one person's opinion. I know, I get upset by people expressing their overly skeptical viewpoints as inevitable fact, too( one would think that would be at odds with the original idea of 'skepticism'), but ultimately, you have to remember that no one, no how, ever truly KNOWS anything. Every moment, we take it on faith that we are where we think we are and not simply hallucinating on a morphine drip in an institution somewhere. This is no less an unprovable belief than that in a higher power.

Skysteel

Heavensent said:
Okay, I just read somewhere here on AT that oracular devices are just a reflection of the sitters spirit. So does this mean that Tarot and everything else doesn't work?

Depends what you mean by 'work' - under the circumstances given, if the goal is to gain a greater awareness of ones spirit then the Tarot does work.

Kenny

If it was all a load of rubbish do you think it would have lasted so long?

I-Ching (or Change) has been around for around 3k years, Tarot for 500-600 years (give or take), and there are lots more divination methods (Oracles have been around for about 3k+ years too). I feel that it is faith that makes them work and for me they do work.

So basically it is all a matter of faith.

Skysteel

Kenny said:
If it was all a load of rubbish do you think it would have lasted so long?

The idea that the Earth is flat persisted for quite a while (and some people still believe it, I think).

Kenny

Skysteel said:
The idea that the Earth is flat persisted for quite a while (and some people still believe it, I think).
Yes we have photos of Earth from space but from our viewpoint Earth is flat. The higher one goes the more curve can be seen.

Maybe that is like divination, at the level we are at it works, but the higher we go the more off we are.

Skysteel

Kenny said:
Maybe that is like divination, at the level we are at it works, but the higher we go the more off we are.

The question is then to what extent relying on it undermines our efforts to attain said heights.

Kenny

Skysteel said:
The question is then to what extent relying on it undermines our efforts to attain said heights.
Good question and one I do not have the answer to! I would love to know what you think of this.

Maybe I will come back later and post a full answer on what I feel.

kwaw

Skysteel said:
The idea that the Earth is flat persisted for quite a while.

So they say, the earth as sphere is a far older concept, and a common one too in that period in the western world we are told people were supposed to believe the 'earth was flat'.

When, where and who exactly believed the earth was flat? In what period and place was it the accepted opinion? Who proposed / opposed it? I ask because most of the medieval sources I have been studying describe the earth as a sphere?

Kwaw