insight

r0sered1ster

The last few days I've been getting frustrated and a bit down on myself for feeling that there is SO much to learn about tarot and that I'd never "get it." I decided to ask which card could I use to help me better (with interpreting and retaining meanings of the cards.) I use the Baroque Bohemian Cat's tarot second edition, which has "The Tarot Reader" in it. I decided when I got this deck that I would keep the Tarot Reader in it because to me, she represents learning, studying and contemplation. Anyhow, I shuffled my cards and cut them then chose a card. When I flipped it over it was the Tarot Reader. I was really suprised because right away my little inner voice told me that this card was trying to tell me to look at the whole picture when I read, to use my instincts and listen to what they tell me, to spend more time when I try to think about what they might be saying. All of a sudden, a feeling of relief spread through me and I knew that it would be ok and I just need to not push myself so hard and try to "learn it all" at once. I guess my question would be, does anyone else have thier two cents to put in about this? I'm still really new to tarot and I wanted to get feedback so I can continue to improve.

Alta

Hi r0sered1ster,

Back in what seems a long time ago (1971) when started tarot, it took me forever to figure things out. At the time there was internet and scarce resources so right off the bat you are ahead here!

It is a complex system, don't underestimate that. There are cards in themselves, the cards in suits, in Major or Minor, reading them in groups, as a whole, as a story.

The trick is to not figure you have to learn the whole thing at once, because then it becomes daunting and unfriendly. Master it a bit at a time, as inspiration or guidance comes.

If it was simple to master, who would want to learn it? Only something complex that slowly reveals itself is worth the journey.

imo anyway. :)

Marion

r0sered1ster

cards

I've always been able to learn things very easily but there is a LOT of nuances to reading them that I need to learn. It's definately not just "this means this and that means that."
Is anyone using the Baroque Bohemian Cat's tarot? What are your interpretations of the Tarot Reader, do you use it in your deck?

Alta

I really really like the Tarot Reader image. So much that I ordered a copy of the print and it watches over me as I read. :)

Don't leave the card in the deck for reading though. Nor any other 'extra' card that comes with any deck. My problem is that if any of cards come up, it stops the reading because I don't know what to do with it.

coyoteblack

HI r0sered1ster
Like you I learn things kind of fast but Tarot is taken me forever. I I love it! everytime I learn new trick 10 more thngs pop out.

I figure what ever i learn now is what I am ment to learn at this moment and I will work with that.

Maybe the plan is to not learn all things at once but be happy with what you did learn.

r0sered1ster

tarot reader

Oh, thank you! I'd not thought of it in that way, sometimes it takes me a little longer than others, hee, hee! I am noticing that I'm remembering or doing something correctly and I guess it just hypes me up to push myself even harder. Hmm, I'm thinking frustrated perfectionism maybe, I'm going to meditate this week on improving my patience!

rebecca-smiles

I like to think of learning to read as getting to know 78 people. I know this sounds trite, but really, that is how it feels, like marion said; you got the whole cards in themselves, cards in groups/spreads etc. and they can be as changable and complex, so just like peeps; talk with them and enjoy their company...it takes time and persistence.

r0sered1ster

talk

Oh, believe me, I talk to them! Ha, ha my kids think I've gone round the bend but when I did a new deck interview with the kitties, I distinctly got the impression that they were a lot like me. I knew right then we would be working quite nicely together. I marvel at how uncanny their answers are!

Skysteel

r0sered1ster said:
The last few days I've been getting frustrated and a bit down on myself for feeling that there is SO much to learn about tarot and that I'd never "get it."

How many cards do you use?

AJ

Welcome neighbor just to my south!

So much to learn is what brought me to tarot in the first place. I love to learn new things, and there are so many avenues to tarot I'll never run dry and think "hey, I know it all"...because that isn't possible.

There is a study group for your BBC deck
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=463573#post463573
and some of the threads that had Baroque Cats in the title this past year
http://www.tarotforum.net/search.php?searchid=1115173

Enjoy, and again, Welcome!!