Medicine and Sacred Path Cards

Bat Chicken

I just got my Medicine Cards in the mail today and I was looking over my Sacred Path Cards over the weekend. There several spreads that suggest working with them together...

Has anyone tried this?

Does anyone use either set - and what have you found?

I am going to try the mixed spread tonight and see how it goes..... :) I'll post when I have .....

Bat Chicken

I just did a wonderful spread from the Sacred Path book and used both decks - the Sacred Path cards to set the stage of what is needed, so to speak, and the Medicine Cards to set the direction for action. I was planning to post it - but they were SO ACCURATE it was scary and far too personal to post.

They are a push in the right direction for anyone who is interested in a shamanic path. Amazing.... I think I am going to like these as much as my favorite tarot....

I really like these cards.....

blackstormhawk

I only have an original edition set of the Medicine Cards. I keep thinking about getting the newer (expanded) edition, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I may piggyback it onto an order with the new 2013 Oracle, though ...

uh oh.

Bat Chicken

I am amazed at well the two sets work together - and I fear I will be turning this into an enabling thread when I say - get the Sacred Path while you're at it... They add a whole other dimension....

I am beginning to think there needs to be another Animal/Shamanist Oracle or Tarot with some more engaging art though..... that seems to be the biggest weakness these decks and many in their genre have IMO.

There are a few things I have found to be a little 'out there' for me - not to say that they are wrong - I wouldn't presume - just not something I would expect to find in a Native American Spirituality inspired deck. Her 'sky beings' are described as extraterrestrial characters. I am not saying that it isn't possible, but is a little too specific for my world view. Kinda like Atlantis - I am not saying it never existed - but the mythology doesn't resonate, not with me anyway.... I hate to judge!:)

I am off the the Animal Wise thread to make some comments there about art and content as it brings other Tarot to mind that I need not mention here...:)

Logiatrix

Hi, Bat Chicken!

Yes, I have used these decks together with successful results as well. I've used the Medicine Cards for years, and added the Sacred Path a few years ago.

For some reason, though, the Sacred Path deck lost its spark for me last winter...I finally passed it on in the trade forums. Now I just use the Medicine Cards, with which I still enjoy a strong connection.

Have you seen the Sacred Path Workbook? In case you don't know about it, here's the Amazon.com link to it.

I found that workbook to be especially complimentary to the cards, with more information on combining it with the animal medicine, too.
:)

Leo62

I used to have both these decks. The Sacred Path Cards never clicked with me, but I used the Medicine Cards for years. I think the strength of both these decks were the books - Jamie Sams is a wonderful writer.

I think the SP would definitely appeal to anyone on a shamanic path - but to anyone else they might be a bit impenetrable. The Medicine Cards have a more general appeal IMO.

But...what let down both decks for me is the rather amateurish and old-fashioned artwork. It's such a shame, because the writing and the concept are so well-done.

BodhiSeed

blackstormhawk said:
I only have an original edition set of the Medicine Cards. I keep thinking about getting the newer (expanded) edition, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I may piggyback it onto an order with the new 2013 Oracle, though ...
Blackstormhawk,
What is different between the old version and the new version of Medicine Cards?

Bat Chicken,
I have had the Medicine Cards (older version) for many years now and really enjoy them. I purchased the Sacred Path, but like several others, I never really clicked with this deck so I gifted it to someone else. I'm glad you're enjoying both together though!

Bodhran

Bat Chicken

bodhran said:
What is different between the old version and the new version of Medicine Cards?
8 new cards, I believe...... Does yours currently have blank cards?

shadowdancer

I could not and would not part with my Medicine cards or the Sacred Path cards, albeit I use predominantly the Medicine cards.

It is worth buying the revised edition as you do have extra cards as well as 8 blank cards to use in any way you wish. I added animals to mine which I hold as special:

Tiger
Organutan
Gorilla
Penguin
Leopard
Mole

This makes for a lovely 58 card deck now.

I was also able to buy through e-bay the mini version of the 44 card deck which I use at work along with a mini tarot deck. They sit in a box in my top office draw, always ready for a quick reflection if needed.

I just love the gentleness but honesty they give when using for readings. I understand the concern regarding the artwork, but for some reason I do not see that as an issue.

I also like the lightening streak on the back. It does remind me of the markings used by Crazy Horse.
I have a box to house these full sized decks, and I have put some messages of homage around the sides of the box to some of the greatest warriors and leaders from the Native American nation. This always reminds me that there are character traits I should always strive for, which were shown by these great people.

I think Jamie Sams really created something special, particularly with the Medicine cards.

Davina

Milfoil

Whilst in Brazil recently, I met several people who were either on a shamanic path or sympathetic to it. Its a long story but suffice to say as we were driving to the airport for our flight home, I was given a set of Sacred Path cards - what a wonderful gift!

Trouble is, its in Portuguese and has no book with it so many of the cards are a mystery to me.

If someone could help with the card titles etc I would be very grateful.