Rose Quartz & Absorbing Negativity

SaMoon912

I just bought myself a Rose Quartz (and a heart shaped sodalite) at a psychic fair this weekend..my very first two crystal purchases. I've been noticing my Rose Quartz getting a little darker...does that mean it's absorbing the negative energy or does it become lighter the more negativity it absorbs?

And how do I cleanse my Rose Quartz and Sodalite crystals?

Thanks! Sorry if there's a post on the same topic!

Sophie

No, it becomes lighter in the sun - rose quartz fades.

I don't think rose quartz absorbs negativity - not in the way the black stones do, for instances - rather, it brings out your feelings (all of them) and allows for gentle release. It's an emotional stone, so you can find yourself crying more! But it's the type of emotion that is healthy and allows for healing. It's a very reassuring stone.

As for why it's getting darker - crystals are living things, and will be influenced by their environment, and how they are handled. Just make sure it's regularly cleansed and charged, especially if you are going through an emotional time.

SaMoon912

Thank you :) So I'd have to cleanse it in order for it to go back to it's pinkish color?

wizzle

You can physically clean your rose quartz by using any mild dishwashing liquid. Rose quartz is actually pretty tough. Wash your stone in the same way you'd wash a plate. Then dry it thorougly and you are done.

However, do NOT use water to clean your sodalite. THat will end up a pile of mush. So figure out how to use it very carefully. Sodalite contains a lot of salt. So it will literally melt if immersed in water.

All the best with your stones.

avw

Sophie

wizzle said:
However, do NOT use water to clean your sodalite. THat will end up a pile of mush. So figure out how to use it very carefully. Sodalite contains a lot of salt. So it will literally melt if immersed in water.
Same with selenite if you ever buy any - no water on that one. And don't put any pyrite in water or in the sun, it's poisonous and starts emanating poisonous fumes.

In fact, if you are going to be working with crystals, best get yourself a good mineralogy primer, which includes what you can and can't do physically with various stones.

wizzle

Dear Fugz..

Pyrite poisonous when in sunlight? If so I should have been dead ages ago. I have tons (ok maybe only pounds) of marcasite jewelry which I wear a lot, in the sun and out. As you know, marcasite is the common name for pyrite when used in jewelry. And I've owned and worn the stuff for at least 30 years. It is my favorite, favorite, favorite stone for jewelry.

Why would any of the iron compounds become poisonous in sunlight? This bit of information has me really puzzled. Where did you learn this info??

I also have a lot of hematite jewelry, also pretty old. That ought to be deadly as well, don't ya think??

I'm re-thinking my cast iron pots here as well, lol.