i got ripped off!

jayem

even though i am a reader, i do have a small under-the-table business, and i do trust what my cards tell me, i usually visit a reader about three times a year. i tend to visit different readers to (given their prices are not insane--thats one of my first hints at a bad reader). i do this because, A.) im a firm believer in the 'get a little, give a little' philodophy--if somebody was kind enough to me to pay me to use my talent to help them, id like to share some of this with another reader and help them out aswell. and B.) sometimes i feel i shift the readings unintentionally so it fits my views.

well anyways, friday i visited a new reader i saw driving back from school. called her up, scheduled an appointment and came in later that day. the reading was $30, which i thought was modestly priced... aslong as it wasnt no 3 card draw type reading. so, i show up. first thing i knew something was up was that the place smelled like cats. now listen, i know its hard to get the smell of cat out of anywhere... but if you got a business you should sure as hell try your hardest! so, we go into this small seperate room for a reading. but, i noticed she brought her phone. when i do readings i turn my phone off as to not interrupt anything. its rude to your customer. i figure we might as well go on with it. in the room, we sit down at a table and she shows my 2 sets of cards, one is the thoth deck, and the other is the large RWS deck. i chose the RWS because the images were more familiar with me. she didnt know i did tarot aswell, and i didnt feel like telling her. one thing i noticed with that the cards seemed thinner, like some were taken out. also, some were already reversed. now i usually dont work with reversals... so i knew itd be a little confused. while shuffling, i managed to flip a few but thats it. now, she splits the deck into three and asks me which pile id like to read with. this is where i kinda got confused. i know we all have different styles of reading, but wouldnt it be best to use the WHOLE deck? she lays the card out in a celtic cross position which i guess was fine since she didnt know me or anything about me, but she used wierd, almost humerous meanings. for example, when she saw the 10 of swords she asked me, 'do you get back pain?' i almost had to stop laughing. in my reading, i got the devil and the tower and when she saw this, she almost dramatically gasped. then she proceeded to tell me how i had negative energy bestowed upon my life. okay, whatever. after that, she asked me to ask a question and i did. basically anything i asked went back to the 'this negative block is affecting everything in your life and nothing ca happen or be seen unless its removed.' what?! instead of reading every card equal (with exception of ALL the major arcs) she emphasized on two 'negative' cards. i cant remember exactly what all the readings were, but the devil was crossed by the lovers, and the tower was crossed by the king of swords. i would never interpret ANY of these cards as a 'negative block'. she gave me a candle, told me to recite some bible psalms, and then told me to come back today with a donation... of $50. needless to say, i called and cancelled.

Sheri

Wow, jayem!

A few readers like this are probably why Philadelphia is cracking down on everyone. I am sure that is how we are all viewed by the unknowing public.

How sad - but how GOOD for you to be able to smell out the phoney!

valeria

Sinduction

I so would have called her on it. But good for you for keeping your cool. I would not have been so nice.

I'm sure most of us have run into people in the biz that we know are full of it. It is sad that people like that are out there. I'm sorry for your read, I know how excited I get when people read for me, I'm sure you were looking forward to it. It is such a let down when they have no idea what they are doing.

I did have a reading once, a few years ago. The guy told me all kinds of things that were supposedly going to happen to me. For instance, he said I would meet my husband and be married with a daughter on the way within two years. I thought he was full of it because I am not impulsive, especially when it comes to marriage. Then I met my current fiance and we will be married within two years of meeting. And believe me, I am now terrified there will be a daughter in there somewhere. I've been dying for another read but I can't seem to find him. Mostly because I want to see if he brings up the kid.

At the time I thought he was the worst reader ever and swore I'd never return. Not that I think that's what happened to you. This lady was obviously a scammer with the "come back later with more money." I just hate to hear it when people do that.

Kahlie

Jayem,

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. "Negativity/Curse"-Talk is a common theme of fraud... I've written about it on my website as I keep hearing the same story over and over again...

Glad you didn't fall for it!

Kahlie

jayem

oh, i forgot to add..
the kicker was she made me promise to not tell anybody about what was spoken between us.
and she also wanted me to ask my mother to come in to 'get to the rood of this negative force.'
and lastly, she gave me a speech about how she was a firm believer in karma and shed never rip me off in order for her own gain because itd only come back to get her.

Sinduction

I have no idea how you held your tongue through all of that. I would have laughed in her face and given her what-for.

The crowned one

The three piles is a teeny tiny part of the BOTA system if I remember correctly.

I would have asked for my money back based on the rest of what you have told us.

Abrac

Maybe you didn't actually get ripped off. It may have been the best $30 you ever spent.

jayem

Abrac said:
Maybe you didn't actually get ripped off. It may have been the best $30 you ever spent.
ha, how so? besides maybe a learning experience and a free candle, i dont see any good from it.

lilangel09

hmm how funny, I had a dream about a candle last night. This probably has nothing to do with it though. I'm glad you didn't fall for it. I probably would've started laughing if nothing. :)