Readings not giving me insight or direction

aurorarose

I have been working on and off with tarot for a few years and most of the time when I draw the cards, I don't get any aha-ness from the reading. It just describes what's going on.

I guess I want the cards to tell me something I don't already know, how do I do that?

AJ

Welcome to AT!

How are you forming your questions?

Schehrazada

Hi aurarose,

From first sight, it could be two things: you are either using a deck that doesn't fully speak to you, or you need to try other spreads.

What do you think it could be? If you give me more specifics, maybe I can help you.

Blessings,

S.

aurorarose

to AJ and S

My questions tend to be What's going on/what do I need to know/what's going to happen in some general area?

I use the RW deck, because I'm a beginner and it seemed like the most understandable, I consider it my learning deck. Sometimes I feel like the deck has the same feeling toward me, like we are learning this stuff together.

I am interested in getting the mythic tarot- I already have the book and I am attracted to interpretations that tell stories, and the herbal tarot- since I am interested in herbalism.

Again since I still consider myself a beginner I use simple spreads, a daily card, romany draw, and if I am feeling really ambitious the celtic cross, though I have seen a few threads on this site that I am interested to try.

I also have a medicine card set that I do daily cards from which I think "speaks" to me a bit more, it gives me lessons to focus on during the day.

Thank you for your insight it has already given me some clues to my blah readings

rebecca-smiles

You say you find they tell you stuff you already know. Well how about reading for someone for feedback (or something if you're not that confident) that you know nothing of?

i just started to read to see next weeks headlines he he! it ain't half bad, if you are prepared to wait. I'm sure you will get lots of feedback here on all sorts of ideas.

I'm pretty new to tarot, and stuff that i (or the stranger sitter) already know is the first to surface. If i want to get something not apparent to either of us, or predictive, it takes a relaxation from focus, and just letting my mind meander through the cards. patterns and relationships appear that weren't there when i first looked.

Isarma

hey :) try more specific questions, use your own imagination, create your own spread! it's always good to define past / present / future, or negative side / positive side. for example sometimes I use my own spreads and the cards closer to me are more present, and the ones on the top, future see the idea?

AJ

I'm newish to tarot too aurorarose, that's why I wondered about your questions. That was one of the hardest things for me to get my mind around, I'm such a straightforward person my mind always went to yes/no questions. Tarot shines best when we give it job to do, I think it yawns at yes no :)

You might try one or two different decks, but I think any deck is readable if you put your mind to it.
Do join in on the reading circles, it is a great way to learn to read for strangers and you will get feedback. Which seldom happens when you read for friends/neighbors etc.

Sulis

It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things: taking things slowly, getting to know your deck, doing small readings...

I think that the thing that will help you the most at the moment is to read for other people (in person if you can) but if not try the one of the Newbie reading circles here.

You won't be told what you already know because you won't know the person you're reading for.
Everyone in the newbie reading circles are in the same boat as you.

In my opinion, the only way to learn how to read is by reading....

Once you've been a member for a week and have 25 posts (or if you decide to subscribe to the forum) go to the Reading Cirlces (part of the Reading Exchange) and look for 'Newbie Exchange' http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=105

aurorarose

I look forward to participating in the reading circles. I have already had some good experiences in the Your Readings folder. It is fascinating to see how a new interpretation of one card in a spread can add so much more depth to the reading and that the interpretations are so subtle that multiple interpretations can fit into the one reading. I have pretty basic books right now, I am thinking of getting a book that might go a little deeper like a 201 level versus a 101 level. I learn best from a book, which is good for being in law school. :) Thank you everyone again for your wonderful insight and advice.