Tarot evil? Tarot myths- split from 'deck recommendations' thread in Tarot Decks

wytchwood

I have a disinterested husband and this is not a problem for me- I don't need for him to share absolutely all my interests, we have lots in common. I do, however have one of those Moms who thinks they're evil. I doubt she would say anything now I'm oh so very grown up at 32 (lol) but I prefer to put them away if she's coming round as I don't want to give her the heebie jeebies. I used to try to convince her that all my occult interests etc. are not evil etc. etc. but now I'm a bit older and wiser, I prefer not to get into it with people who will never agree.

Zoe

Jewel

On a clear day said:
In fact my niece believes it to be 'bad' and scary, shouldn't have them in your home, you can never throw them away, keep them wrapped in the dark in the loft never to see the light of day!. I think her worries have somewhat coloured my own wishes to have my first deck...what if she's right, perhaps it is 'bad' etc .......you know the sort of worries I am sure!
AHHHHHHH Tarot myths .... I am sure if you do a "search" in the Talking Tarot Forum you will find some nice threads about these. Tarot cards are pieces of card stock with images on them. They only differ from regular playing cards in imagery, number of cards, and they are down right prettier and easier to read :D

Tarot cards are tools. Think of it like going to pick out the right book to study a certain subject, or the right canvas for the type of painting you want to do, or the right pen or pencil. The magic of the cards is in you, not in the tool.

My mom is a staunch Catholic, and she was mumbling about how she worried for my soul because of my tarot deck and vampire books .... well I went to my shelf and pulled out the "Tarot for Cats" (she loves cats) and showed that deck to her, and she could not help but laugh. She felt quite reassured when I told her "mom these are just pieces of card board with cool images on them!, I like telling stories with them". At the time I was much more into short story writing and studying them than reading.

Most people fear them because they are tought to fear what they do not know or understand ... that is how our society works.

But anyway, you get the drift ...

On a clear day

Thank you for your words of reassurance everyone. I do agree especially with: Most people fear them because they are tought to fear what they do not know or understand ... that is how our society works-Jewel.
I like crystals too and my husband just thinks they are bits or rock which collect dust...oh well I am sure he will get over it. Lol!

Kind blessings to you all x

Nevermore

From what I know about the Thoth deck already, it has a "mysterious" reputation...it's okay for beginners sometimes but not for all, I guess. It's one liked by experienced readers. I'm drawn to it but as I'm a beginner I've decided to first learn the basics before getting the Thoth.
I have the LS Manga deck and I really like it. The images are not too abstract and for me I find them somewhat easy to understand. The genders are switched though and sometimes it's hard to connect the meaning for a Queen to the King, etc. using traditional meanings from books/internet. Still it's a very nice deck.
The Shadowscapes is really beautiful! I can't wait to see it finished and I hope I can get it.

wytchwood

Actually my husband loves crystals, but not in a magical way, more in a 'ooh they look like sweets' way. He has his own tarot deck somewhere which he never looks at, he says I ca have it when he finds it, but it's nowhere to be seen. I think he just liked scaring people by stacking the deck with the Devil, the Tower, Death etc. lol

Zoe

lilacwino

I can be a bit "sensitive", too, and my very first Tarot purchase was the Thoth deck. I wound up getting spooked and throwing it away, lol! I'm now married to someone who has three of them lying around, not to mention countless books of that ilk... that was a long time ago that I was so easily spooked, lol. ANYWAY... I have been trying to learn Tarot for many years and have tried several different decks. It never really clicked for me until I got the Morgan Greer deck. I can't recommend it enough! I know at least a few other people feel the same way. Now I am off like a rocket - it's so great! I wish you well on your journey.

Emily

Ahh I have a completely disinterested Hubby too - He keeps asking why I need so many decks LOL - But he spends alot more money on his hobbies than I do on mine. We have alot in common too so his lack of interest doesn't bother me, he soon wants to know if I've done readings for him.

My Mom doesn't understand or like my tarot hobby. She once asked if it was evil then I had a lecture on how it was a waste of money and I had better things to spend my money on.

I also had one sticky moment a few years ago when she called round unexpectedly and I had the Rohrig tarot spread all over the dining room table, I didn't think she was ready for some of the cards of this deck }) - I never realised I was so nifty with a tablecloth LOL