What Do You Like Best About Being A Tarot Reader?

Satori

I asked my four year old daughter this question. She has the Caring Psychic Family deck now and we have been doing one card readings for me with it every day. Today I got Death and she told me "someday you'll have a skull." And then we talked a tiny bit about some other meanings for the card.

Then I asked her what she liked best about being a Tarot reader. Below is her response.

"Well, being a Tarot reader is like being a circus animal."

I have no idea what that means.

Scion

Something exotic and slightly anachronistic that people come and see for a little scariness, a little excitement, and a shift in perspective?

:)

cheekyminx

haha a circus animal? That's cool. Well, let me see *thinks* then I will be the seal. Who will you be Satori?

Circus = fun, laughter, enjoyment, people of all ages go to the circus

Animal = 6th sense, they don't speak, so how to they communicate? Children love animals. Animals are in danger of us humans, being attacked, killed, harmed but then again animals are loved by humans.

*shrugs* Only your child understands her comment.

What I like best? Not sure to be honest. People in desperation coming to me for a reading, not that they take my advice, but any way. Hmm, probably the fact of knowing what will happen in certain circumstances *shrugs again* It's mystical?

Papageno

that's one of those wonderfully spontaneous pearls of wisdom only young children can provide.
she obviously enjoys the theatricality of being a reader and being the focus of attention. it's fun for her, she's honing her intuition and flexing her imagination.
you, the adult, see it as an exercise, but to her it's simply fun and exciting, as it should be.
adults tend to "think" about what they do.
young children simply "do"

Children have an extraordinary well of creativity and vision to draw from that too often gets squashed, mangled and repressed by the time they reach the age when everybody's teaching them to prepare for the realities of being an adult.
if adults have to "think" so hard about what it is they need to achieve creatively, it's most likely because they've lost that ability to be spontaneous, the vision has gotten lost and buried, the adult has to dig deeper to bring it forth again.

edited too add:

oh yeah.......OK enough of the child psychology.

I guess one of the things I love best about tarot is that it opens a door for me. it shows me a way back to that point where I can be spontaneous, creative and renewed and experience it all again through the eyes of an adult.
it's almost like that old adage: If I only knew then what I know now.

Scion

Duh! I forgot to answer your question...

I like tracing the patterns of energy on the table and in a life, I like the synaptic sizzle when the querent sees a situation with fresh eyes, I like studying something that is so refractive and bottomless and then seeing the way that knowledge works practically, I like the feeling of plugging into something bigger. And actually I think all of the above things are the same thing.

AJ

I love fooling with my cards! What part of the circus am I...what to do with the dung I suppose, as I'm newish and prone to a lot of errors :)

MysticalMoose

:bugeyed: Circus...fun?? Laughter?? enjoyment?? Not for the animals thats for sure!!!!! ~ ...sorry I wont rant! :) its just that I was involved in an investigation into circuses....& horror horror....:(

anyway........

I love your daughter's "someday you will have a skull" :) arent kids just fantastic?
My daughter has a few decks (she is 9) & often comes up with lovely little gems that me being old & cynical would never have thought of...the beauty of innocence :)

I love...all of it really, the laying out of the cards & hopefully feeling & saying something that leaves the person feeling hopeful & empowered :)
:love:

Astraea Aurora

What I like best about being a Tarot Reader?

I'm an optician. I'm able to help people. Tarot opens their eyes and lets them see things they wouldn't have seen otherwise. Tarot is like wearing glasses, they're able to see better and further than with their eyes alone.

rebecca-smiles

Satori said:
Today I got Death and she told me "someday you'll have a skull."

Quite the philosopher too! :)

One of my strongest and most meaningful memories is walking to a lesson in the dark and cold. Someone's light was on in a basement flat and i glanced down to see a young man, strumming his guitar and singing to someone across the room. There were red roses on the table. You know itnstantly what he is seeing, what he is feeling, why he is doing this, but something remains unseen; her (or him). And the entire of their lives remains a mystery. You get one glimps, nothing else.

It was a very humbling moment; to see them as central, the axis of experience, of the world, and myself as only peripheral, of no significance, just a passer by. I felt my humanity and their humanity. The only time i have recreated this feeling is when i read for strangers, every time i read for a stranger.

Also I like looking at the cards and being able to pick out an image, a situation, feelings, thoughts, events from what seems like a vast landscape of potential meanings, contexts, lives. Someone mentioned on AT before that it is like looking at one of those 'magic pictures' where you have to look beyond the surface for the image to fall into relief.

StellarMyst

The best part of Reading Tarot from my perspective is...

I think the thing I like the best about being a Tarot reader, is that I am able to help people trough a centuries-old art-form. I am an artist myself, and I have always used my art to communicate with others and help them with their problems. They come to me with an issue they need to deal with, and with this comes the need for someone to listen, understand, and just be there for them. With tarot, I am able to combine helping others with my "communications-through -art."

When someone comes to a trusted friend for help in dealing with a troubling issue, the best thing you (the trusted friend) can do, is to listen and offer comfort, and consolation (not of the fake variety...), and help. Sometimes they try to hide what's wrong; so they push the issue to the back of their mind. They shuffle *without any particular thought(s) in mind* and out comes a solution to an issue!

You can, as a reader, preserve the querist's sense of privacy and help them effectively through the Tarot. All the reader needs to do, is explain (without asking potentially uncomfortable questions -- especially in the case of trauma, and/or loss) the basic card meanings, and let the querist allow the issue to surface. If they realize that you have respected their privacy although reaching deep into their subconscious, they will come back to you for readings, and they will respect you as a friend and reader of Tarot. They will even bring new querists to the table. -- That's what I love about it! :D

StellarMyst