Tarot Spells

PsychicWitch

Does anyone know any spells using the tarot cards? If you could help me and tell me some, that would be great! Thanks!

Teheuti

PsychicWitch said:
Does anyone know any spells using the tarot cards? If you could help me and tell me some, that would be great! Thanks!
There are quite a few books on the subject depending on what you want:

_Tarot Spells_ by Janina Renee - for a cookbook approach. Pick a need and follow the instructions.

_Tarot and Magic_ by Don Michael Kraig - a little more sophisticated approach that helps you build your own spells.

_Portable Magic_ by Donald Tyson - build your own ceremonial magic spells.

I think there are a couple of other books out there now that follow the cookbook format where you are given a list of applicable cards, candles, other symbols, relevant colors, chants, etc. for specific purposes.

The kind of spell you do depends greatly on your intent and the kind of magic you feel comfortable doing. If you were more specific about what you want then people might be able to recommend some specifics.

Mary

Skydancer

Donaldson has a book out called The Tarot Spellcaster, if that helps any!
Plus there are books using spells and cards for inner growth like Tarot for the Healing Heart, and Tarot Shadow Work.

*S*

[edited to add: recently got Portable Magic and it's well worth the reading.]

Also wanted to say that not only be positive in your approach, but like what's been said already, watch what you ask for. And choose your words very very carefully. If you "do spell work" for, for example, "I want more money" -- you might get it because a loved one is killed. Or you have a car accident that pays out because you're horribly hurt. Ever read The Monkey's Paw??

The Great Magus

tarot spells never worked for me. guess either tarot spells are bullshit or i'm a bullshit tarot spell caster...whatever.

wytchwood

Excellent thread, Psychicwitch. The simplest spells are sometimes the best, so by using a tarot card (it also works well with runes or ogham/trees) which crystallizes the issue to meditate on as a backdrop, you would be adding a lot of extra 'oomph' to an ordinary candle spell. Another way I find it very effective to choose a few cards which tell the 'story' of your success in whatever your endeavour, place them on your hearth or altar and go with a simple incantation to 'activate' the events symbolically represented in your chosen cards. Always incant with the attitude that it's already happened, it's a sure thing, in the bag etc. rather than one of hope that it will happen in future, as this is a weaker message. Yet another way which is better suited to correcting a poor state of affairs, is to have the 'story' as it stands represented by a few cards laid out, and change the cards (left hand is best for this) to a more favourable outcome. I'd be happy to help further if you have any questions, in the meantime, I hope this is of help.

zoe

Vadella

Teheuti said:
_Tarot Spells_ by Janina Renee - for a cookbook approach. Pick a need and follow the instructions.

I have used this a few times. Works very well. :) Always be positive about it... the true magic involved starts with that.

Teheuti

The technique I've used the most is to select cards & place them in my favorite spread such that the cards I've chosen (face-up) depict everything coming to pass as I'd ideally like. Then I look at the spread as if I had just drawn the cards at random. I interpret the spread, saying things like "Oh, Wow!" and "Right on!" and "Yes!!!" (and other emotionally energizing affirmations).

One caveat: cards have many layers of meaning, and they tend to pull somethings that you hadn't consciously intended into the significance of your magic spread. Usually you are blind to these until somewhere down the line when you notice certain things coming to pass that you hadn't expected. Often if you look back at your magic spread (always write them down!!!) you'll find the seed of these "somethings" were there right from the start. So, be careful what you ask for and don't do this if you aren't willing to own all the consequences. This is serious stuff you're getting into.

Mary

Mellifluous

Janina Renee has lots of them in Tarot Spells. Good for focusing and meditating on what you want, which helps with a more hopeful, positive frame of mind and probably/possibly with taking actions to make these things happen. She puts a nice emphasis on the pyschological aspect without going overboard about it. Not too out there in misspelled-magic-land either.

That said, I'd take the whole concept with a grain of salt. You can light candles and meditate on cards or pray without a book. Sometimes it's fun to have a book though. :)

Good luck!

wytchwood

Teheuti said:
The technique I've used the most is to select cards & place them in my favorite spread such that the cards I've chosen (face-up) depict everything coming to pass as I'd ideally like. Then I look at the spread as if I had just drawn the cards at random. I interpret the spread, saying things like "Oh, Wow!" and "Right on!" and "Yes!!!" (and other emotionally energizing affirmations).

One caveat: cards have many layers of meaning, and they tend to pull somethings that you hadn't consciously intended into the significance of your magic spread. Usually you are blind to these until somewhere down the line when you notice certain things coming to pass that you hadn't expected. Often if you look back at your magic spread (always write them down!!!) you'll find the seed of these "somethings" were there right from the start. So, be careful what you ask for and don't do this if you aren't willing to own all the consequences. This is serious stuff you're getting into.

Mary

I loved this post, thanks Mary! :D I liked the 'affirmations'. I am quite into using everyday language for magic work rather than pseudo ye olde English, for new spells (rather than older spells for which the original old language is usually used) and I find the use of 'normal' words extremely powerful!

I have never tried interpreting the spread like that, but it seems like an interesting technique. I can see how it would work on the presumption that these events are 'in the bag' and success is assured.

I also agree with your words of warning, as we must always be careful what we wish for in case we get it! Still, I think we all learn the hard way however many words of advice we receive!

Zoe

Teheuti

wytchwood said:
Still, I think we all learn the hard way however many words of advice we receive!
I thought about writing a book about all the magical mistakes I've made and what I learned from them! ;-) I treasure my mistakes, although I usually try never to repeat them.

Mary