Oracle des Dames by Etteila?

BrightEye

I hope I spelt the guy's name right... I have this dinky oracle deck by the above name and would like some info or experience wit husing it if anyone has any. I bought it in a newsagent and it comes with a tacky year planner. It gives some information on Etteila and his Tarot but not much on the little oracle deck. Anybody heard of it?

Gavriela

Heard of it, and even salivated over it - I think.

Is this the one?

It's supposed to come with a booklet in French, but how much help the booklet might be, I know not.

BrightEye

No, that's not the one I have, although the figures look similar. The characters depicted are either dressed late-French 18th century style. There are some mythical figures, like Fortuna, and a woman with a peacock, who reminds me of Hera.

BrightEye

No, that's not the one either. The cards in my deck remind me of the Soprafino Tarot in the style of the clothes. I'm getting the feeling that this deck doesn't really exist. Someone made it up. They are similar to Kipper cards as well, which I have only seen in Germany.

MatPoint

Hi,

Gavriela, I the first deck you posted is the Oracle des Dames. It is known with that name everywhere. The second one is the Petit Etteilla which I have. Do you know that the Petit-Etteilla was the one Mlle. Lenormand used to read and that probably the Lenormand cards is a simplified version of the Petit-Etteila?

It is fascinating.

BrightEye, why don't you post a few scans, maybe the cards that you have are not the Oracles des Dames or something. Who knows ...

Gavriela

The Petit Eteilla, and probably also JJ Grandville's Parlour Sybil - another one that would have been available in her time and based on playing-card reading.

After all, with a name like that, how could she resist? :D

BrightEye

I would if I had a scanner. But I haven't! I did some more googling though and the Petit Oracle des Dames sounds more like it. I only saw one card of it though - Jupiter - which looks familiar. Does anyone know any more about this little deck?

BrightEye

Finally, a scan. Does anyone recognize the images?