loose incense burning

Guiding Cauldron

ok silly me again but i need to ask advice on how to use and burn loose incense please. i've become a HUGE fan of this recently but have never used it before.

i've got my burner, charcoal blocks and loose mixes already just guide me in the proper assembly of these items in the burner please and how to use the charcoal!!

this has probably been talked about before but i just cant find a thread about it. thanks in advance to your help xx

Sulis

Hi sunshineluvr,

I love burning loose incense.

Make sure you keep your charcoal blocks in an airtight container - they attract moisture to them and are difficult to light if they are at all damp (they won't seem it but if they won't light then they are).

I have some special tongs for holding the charcoal blocks and I light them by holding them over a gas flame.
It will crackle and spark then it will glow red.
I usually put my charcoal block in a censer on some salt of sand to insulate the heat - they get incredibly hot, make sure you stand your censer or bowl on something heat proof, I use a ceramic tile.
Just sprinkle on the incense and let it burn.

Moonbow

Once you get used to how to burn the charcoals they are easy but it takes a knack, and finding out the best way to make sure the charcoal blocks are very very hot before adding the resins. They spit a lot at first and I found them quite messy compared to the sticks as it involves fiddling about and topping up the resins, and this was too distracting to my meditation.

I love the idea of them and will probably have another go one day but for ease of using nothing beats the sticks.

Guiding Cauldron

oh ty!

thats what i was doing wrong.. i think i wasnt waiting long enough before adding the incense mix on the charcoal.

ok so light charcoal, wait until it stops fizzing/ sparking, THEN add incense. I'll give it a go, ty so much :)

i was using the sticks and cones too, but to be honest theres very few out there that the scent doesnt bowl me over. they sound great until you light them then they reek! the loose mixes just seem purer and are less aggrivateing to my nose :) bless xx

sharpchick

I've found you can even split off smaller pieces of the charcoal if you won't be burning long. Looks kinda funny, but it still works.

I'm glad to see no one is holding the charcoal with their fingers when they light it. I always use tongs too, but one of my associates says I'm a wuss.

ravenest

sunshineluvr said:
thats what i was doing wrong.. i think i wasnt waiting long enough before adding the incense mix on the charcoal.

ok so light charcoal, wait until it stops fizzing/ sparking, THEN add incense. I'll give it a go, ty so much :)

Sulis and Sharpchick hve it pretty much down. I'd add to the above; wait a bit longer until it stops fizzing and the block starts to glow red all over. To facilitate this blow gently with 3 long breaths on the charcol.

Deffinatly be prepared to insulate the censor, thurible or whatever it is, Either on a little stand or coaster or have sand in the bowl, or a little pad to hold it with if the handle gets hot. I had a lovely censor once but it wasn't designed for that purpose, the heat melted the solder that held the handles on :(.

I also used to use a steel plate with holes in it, or some H.D. metal mesh in the bottom to rest the charcoal on so the air could flow around it and keep it burning.

I dont like the charcol tabs they sell in most shops, the larger ones, they are hard to light, go to a Greek othodox church supplier and get rolls of the smaller ones (sometimes you can get a whole box of charcol rolls at these shops for a few dollars. They catch and burn very well, sometimes too well, they can explode and break apart if a few are set together).

Here is a hint for dramatic ritual (some people think this sort of thing is a wank but dramtaic ritual should be just that - dramatic - but not wanky posing) if you are lighting the charcol for a ceremony, do it in the dark, the charcoal makes great light patterns as it catches, like infectious electricity, (also blowing three times on it adds a bit of drama).

Some disagree with this approach but I have been to rituals where people couldn't even get the candles gong properly - pathetic, how are they going to be competent in ceremony or magic if they can't lean something as simple as that (and they weren't newcomers!). A competent practioner that knows their element and tool (and the surprises it might have in store for them) is a pleasure to watch. And chances are they are going to be able to deal with the rest of the ceremony and any unforseen events that may arise.

Some people don't seem to care about this, but ....if I went to the dentist and he kept dropping his instruments .....

Sulis

You can also put some aluminum foil on top of the charcoal and then put the incense on that. If you do it that way it isn't as smokey.

Guiding Cauldron

:)

sharpchick- your not a wuss! Just highly intelligent :) Tell your coworker to get a grip lol

ravennest- ty for your insights, lovely of you really. lol i agree with you about knowing how to use your instruments- hence why i asked for help! It may seem silly to some but I'm NOT that proud lmao. to be honest i would LOVE to see a great ritual in person with a group atmosphere but alas i am a solitary right now so i make due with nature and me :)

another FUNNY note and i do know better but this is what i get for being silly i used to much powder on my charcoal and the alarm went off- even though the window was open it just blew the smoke more in instead of out!! what a chaos at 6:30 am this morning!! but all is calm and the fragranc eleft is divine so its achieved its purpose anyway :)

i think i like breaking the charcoal disks in 1/2 for indoor use and useing a whole one for outdoor use in my sitting garden- a lil messy but it works well. i LOVE the idea of a wire mesh for the charcoal to sit on, i'll look into that too. or perhaps even the aluminum foil trick i'll give that a go too.

i understand the useage of tongs i may get some soon as well. i've been just laying the lit match in first then placeing a charcoal on top of it to light- so i dont burn myself- then adding the incense after it stops sparking :)

for being so new at this i think i'm getting along quite well thus far, thanks for all your posts blessed be xx

thinbuddha

Moonbow* said:
...involves fiddling about and topping up the resins, and this was too distracting to my meditation.

Well- to me it's sort of like tending a fire- very medatative in it's way once you get to the point where you aren't fighting with it. When you get the right amount of smoke emerginf from your censure, you can scry with it and turn the whole thing into a medatation aid.

-tb

Shade

I know this is two weeks old but thought I might add some input.

I have found that the best way to keep the charcoal moisture free was to include a couple of saltine crackers in the ziplock bag i kept the charcoal in.

The best burner I have ever used was a little brass one with "grill." By placing it on the "grill" you allow air to get underneath it and it will burn better.

That being said, the problem with the charcoal is that every few minutes you have to add more incense back onto it. You also have a noticable charcoal smell in the room competing with your incense. The alternative is to add a generous amount of finely powdered sandalwood (or other sweet smelling wood) to the mixture and just lighting it up without any charcoal. You don't have to divert much of your attention to the incense and thsi is very helpful in rituals and readings where your focus is better spent elsewhere.

Ok that's my 2 cents.