Introducing myself to Psychic Fair organizer

buddhagoddess

My friend who is a long-timer reader thinks I should contact her friend who organizes a "psychic fair" during October in Salem, MA. She said I should call him and she could follow up with a phone call. I have never done this before and I feel like I should do it more like a job interview. Should I send him a letter with a list of my decks and perhaps a few examples of my readings on AT (with querents permission of course)?

I know the term "psychic fair" can turn some people's stomachs here, but I am just trying to get beyond that and see it as an opportunity to do some readings face to face. I have only been studying since October and I know I have to be truthful about that, but how can I word it in a way so I don't sound like a complete novice?

OK, I am ready for flaming, but I hope I can get some constructive feedback.

Thanks.

BG

Grizabella

You're not going to get any flaming here, buddhagoddess. :) It's not allowed. And besides, we like helping newcomers to succeed.

It's exciting that you're going to be able to apply to read at the psychic faire. Even if you aren't accepted, just the fact that you've put together a sort of resume' and applied for it is experience that will be valuable to you later on when you do it again in the future. It gives you more courage for doing it again. :)

Nobody's stomach turns at the mention of a psychic faire, by the way. I'm not sure how you got that impression, but we've got lots of members who take part in them and find them very enjoyable.

rebecca-smiles

I have only been studying since sept and i did a fayre in Jan and was invited back to do one in feb. they were both nerve racking and very rewarding. I was suprised not to be interviewed or anything, i just hired a table there, and turned up. it had 9 readers all together + other stuff.

I think the general attitude of organisers is that they will sense you out when you are doing your thing; if you are not good they won't ask you back- but you are paying for your space there so it is no loss to them. they seem to take it in their stride where i would be worried about the customers, and the reputation of the fair. the likelyhood is they have so many stalls/tables there, and although there will be regulars, there is always a turnover of pro's that they just don't have the time to interview; its a one-off not an ongoing job.

I say go for it; be honest but confident about your level of experience and ability and have loads of fun!

buddhagoddess

rebecca-smiles said:
I think the general attitude of organisers is that they will sense you out when you are doing your thing; if you are not good they won't ask you back- but you are paying for your space there so it is no loss to them.

Actually, I don't think I pay for a table, but the organizer gets a cut of each reading. If I remember correctly, they charged $20 for a 15 minute reading and the reader got 1/2 of that. Not bad. That works out to $40/hour if you get back-to-back readings. I really love doing readings, but my experience is almost exclusively via email or here on AT and I have concerns that how I express myself in writing will not be as eloquent when I am speaking to someone face to face. The whole "edit factor" is not available when you are doing it face to face.

In terms of a "resume", is a list of decks and examples of my readings enough? Should I include a little blurb about subjects I have studied (yoga, chakras, buddhism, herbalism, crystals, etc...). Again, I am new at this so I don't know what the best way to present myself is.

BG

P.S. Thanks to Solitaire and Rebecca-Smiles for the opening encouraging remarks. : )

poivre

Go for the experience!
If you don't, you'll always wonder about it. :)

I've always joked about readings at the fair. I always say
"I'm going to the fair"
and all the replies are "you're going alone!" :laugh: I have a couple
friends that would like to go and hand out flyers for me.

Here, it sometimes close to $500. a booth for the weekend.
(this is what I have heard anyways)
I am going to one tomorrow and already have my appointment.
I will pay $65. for 30-45 min reading.

I would love to read at the fair and someday I just might...
just to drive everyone here crazy!!!!!!!! :laugh: And to
finally read at the fair, for myself. :)

I am going to say that I am a card reader, not a psychic and
this way it will take some pressure off, for the first time.

Good Luck to you, go for it.
Be courageous...it's the only place left uncrowded! :)

ros
:)

satinangel

Hi buddhagoddess,

I work the psychic fairs, it sounds like yours are set up the same as they are here. The split is the same...no fee for the table, etc.

I would just call the guy and be ready to read for him on the spot. He may not require it, but be ready just in case. Have a deck that you are MORE than comfortable with and a quick spread, that you don't have to think about.

Give it a try! You might find that you JUST LOVE IT! :heart:

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further!

Briar Rose

I'm 5 hours away from Salem. Put me on your list for October. I'd love to come up and get a reading, and spend a day in Salem.

Please remind me. If you can, send a flyer my way.

PM'ing you address.

Thank you.

Abrac

I can't really see where you have anything to loose. You already have several things in your favor. Your friend suggested you make the call so she must have faith in you. The event is a psychic fair so you should fit right in. Very often it isn't what we know so much as who we know. Don't take that the wrong way. I don't mean to imply you don't know anything, I'm just saying that getting your foot in the door is 90% and I would say you're already 50% of the way there. Give him a call and enjoy the fair. :)

Major Tom

The only way it will happen is if you do it. ;)

You don't need a letter. Make the call.

Make sure you take plenty of water with you to the fair.

rebecca-smiles

No need to worry that you wont have the eloquence that you do online...you wont, but it wont matter...sitters are generally very patient and keen for you to 'get-it-right' so if you struggle they will likely be encouraging :)