Splinters Are Good For You

CalypsoTea

I admit that I've been on a Harry Potter kick for about a week or so, but it has piqued my interest in the metaphysical personalities/properties of wood. Not just petrified wood, but wood wood: Maple, Cedar, Ash, Oak, etc... It makes sense to me that trees can and do have as much in the way of healing powers as stones and crystals. I found a website that was incredibly interesting ( http://www.unfading.net/treesym.html ), but I'm afraid I haven't been able to find other useful information anywhere else as of yet.

Does anyone have any information on this, or can point me in the right direction? Perhaps a book on this very topic? Many thanks in advance! ^_^

CalypsoTea

Thank you, Bodhran! I'm definitely going to look into those! ^_^

MCsea

Oh I do love the lore of trees too, I just love feeling that for myself in a garden, I must find my book - I have one that explores trees, and of course the Celts astrology uses trees as well..

hmm off to look for that book!

MARINA

Sophie

I'm a tree hugger, and have been all my life. My favourite place as a child was in a tree. Last year I spent a whole week learning to feel, "meet" and interact with the spirit of plants and trees. It was a wonderfully moving experience. I never meet a beautiful tree nowadays without greeting it :)

Likewise, I love beautiful wood, though I don't really use it magically.

Elnor

Sulis said:
I have 'Tree Wisdom - The definitive guidebook to the myth, folklore and healing power or trees' by Jaqueline Memory Paterson http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tree-Wisdom...222586-6606341?ie=UTF8&qid=1179833018&sr=11-1
It's a wonderful book - very detailed.
Sadly it seems to have gone out of print but I'm sure with a bit of searching you'd be able to find a copy.

I can vouch for this book... the author is the Archdruidess of Glastonbury, and she really knows her treelore; she covers both historic uses as well as magical uses and legends of the most well-known British trees, (but these would related to American species as well: oak, poplar, willow, pine, etc.)

My copy is second-hand; it's well-worth a search for it.

elnor

wizzle

Check out Dion Fortune's description of a Fire of Azreal in her book "Sea Priestess." You need cedar, sandalwood and juniper to burn.

I'd be interested in what other sacred fires ya'll burn. Do you add herbs?

P. S. while important, the American BBQ is NOT a sacred fire, at least in my opinon. I'm sure there are those who will disagree.

CalypsoTea

Thank you, everyone! I've been to looking into all of those, and though I haven't gotten a copy of anything yet, I shall persevere and continue the search.

Hmm... I'd consider the American BBQ a sacred fire if you were burning it in tribute to the fire/food/summer gods. But you'd have to do the ritual completely: the fire-poker dance, dressed in a swimsuit (birthday suits are acceptable, but more potent on your actual birthday), and chanting along with whatever music you have playing (but there must be music). ^_^