Solar Return....

Indigo Rose

I am trying to get an understanding of the significance of this in our lives.
What is the overall importance of this to us?

I looked at my next solar return chart on Astro.com and it looks very strange...lots of 8th house stuff. :(

Any words of wisdom on Solar returns?

:heart:

dadsnook2000

A chart for the year

A solar return occurs when your Sun returns to its natal position. There are two types of Solar Returns:

1) A TROPICAL zodiac solar return which is most probably the type of chart you cast. This chart presents a culturally-based definition of one's current life situation and the type of growth or developmental challenges that are likely to be faced. It is not an overly useful or precise tool for predicting events in the coming year.

2) A SIDEREAL or a PRECESSION-CORRECTED TROPICAL solar return permits us to use different methodologies that help us to be quite precise about the timing and definition of events that will occur over time.

Effective use of either of these types of return charts requires some study and experience -- not as much as the study of natal charts that is required when we first learn about astrology. So, like all things astrological, the answer to your question is both simple and complex.

There are a number of good books available for the first type of solar return return method because its use is built upon what has already been learned by astrologers. The second method requires some re-learning of basics and is used by a much smaller number of astrologers. There are few books available which is why I am just now finishing a book on this topic.

So, you need to learn about the method that will best answer your interests. Dave

Indigo Rose

dadsnook2000 said:
A solar return occurs when your Sun returns to its natal position. There are two types of Solar Returns:

1) A TROPICAL zodiac solar return which is most probably the type of chart you cast. This chart presents a culturally-based definition of one's current life situation and the type of growth or developmental challenges that are likely to be faced. It is not an overly useful or precise tool for predicting events in the coming year.

2) A SIDEREAL or a PRECESSION-CORRECTED TROPICAL solar return permits us to use different methodologies that help us to be quite precise about the timing and definition of events that will occur over time.

Effective use of either of these types of return charts requires some study and experience -- not as much as the study of natal charts that is required when we first learn about astrology. So, like all things astrological, the answer to your question is both simple and complex.

There are a number of good books available for the first type of solar return return method because its use is built upon what has already been learned by astrologers. The second method requires some re-learning of basics and is used by a much smaller number of astrologers. There are few books available which is why I am just now finishing a book on this topic.

So, you need to learn about the method that will best answer your interests. Dave

Thanks Dave. Yes, the one on Astro.Com is a Tropical chart. However, they give no interpretations on it. How is the Sidereal different? I mean is the actual chart itself different....or is it the way in which it's viewed different?

Perhaps I'm in over my head...not unusual for me. :(

I want advanced understanding...but sometimes have a hard time knowing where to study...or how to study...so it's a bit like bulleted fragments of learning for me in Astrology. Sigh~

Any pointers on how to learn the Solar Return Sidereal Charts? What resources do you recommend?

:heart:

dadsnook2000

A re-reply, where did the other one go?

I had replied earlier, but it appears that the posting got lost somewhere.

You won't get printed reports on Solar Returns from a free charting service, at least not that I know of. Purchased software often has purchasable options which can include natal, relationship, progression, transit and return reports. These are about as helpful as the typical natal report is.

Tropical S/R charts are different from Sidereal or precession-corrected charts in their orientation, timing. The Tropical Solar Return can occur 10 hours or more earlier than the other form of Return for someone in their 30's, as much as a day later for someone in their 70's. This is because the Aries Point is regressing or moving backward at the rate of about one degree each 72 years. The end result is that the MC and ASC angles are quite different and the Moon position can differ by quite a few degrees.

At the risk of offending someone, I would say that Tropical Solar Returns are read similar to a natal chart reading with the focus being on the near term and not the life potential. In general, the methods of trying to define future events as to what they are and when (date) they will happen is the big perennial problems with Tropical S/R's.

Sidereal or precession-corrected Tropical S/R charts are read with the emphasis on angular natal and transiting planets (the Solar Return is basically a transit chart) and any natal angles that are at or near the S/R angles. There is a MC-Solar cycle that can be tracked using progressed angles that is highly useful for determining exactly what will happen when.

Again, you have to make a study of these methods in order to use them. And you have to decide what you are looking for from your Solar Return chart. If you want a broad picture of how you'll approach the areas of your life where strife and opportunities will occur, then choose the Tropical version. If you are looking for event definition and timing of events than choose the other type of chart. Dave