How to start?

Kenny

I would like to start a serious study of my tarot deck(s) however I'm not sure of the best way to do this.

So I'm after tips/hints/stories from you peps.

Thanks.

jmd

...how about joining some of us in the 78 weeks study?

franniee

jmd is right

but if you want to do it on your own pick a deck and immerse yourself in it - study each card, read zillions of people with it - ask for honest feedback and make notes of what you said so you can track the outcomes and see if you got it - if not then tweak things...

pick a card a day and concentrate on it... see everything you can about it.

learning a deck takes time. and I have found you need to focus and concentrate at one at a time. Right now I've been enjoying the victorian romantic to the exclusion of all of my other decks but for many many years it was the mythic tarot. LOVE mythology - so it was a natural for me. Besides I love stories. I am also slowly going thru the fairy tale reaquainting myself with the stories.

With me I will study and then leave it alone for awhile and in that break things truly sink in. :)

:love:

coyoteblack

I would like to second what was said before but would like to add meditation to a way of learning a card.

You can hold a picture in your hand and kind of picture your self walking through the card and talking to it.

Astraea Aurora

You could try Joan Bunning's Tarot course on learntarot.com. It's good and for free. (Or you could buy her book which has the same content I guess.)

Astraea Aurora

HonestPuck

Do whatever works for you. Since the connection to your deck is something personal, how you reach that connection or deepen it should be unique as well.

For me, I usually just get right into it, doing readings(mainly for myself at the beginning), reading books, but mainly looking at each card and finding what parts of it really speak to me. I like to find meanings that are not in the books, but rather in myself.

wytchwood

Hi Kenny,

There are some excellent suggestions here! Just spending time exploring the meanings of each card- write your impressions in a journal if you like- it's very helpful. I still find it useful to look through new decks over and over again to familiarize myself with the cards. If I'm unsure where a card is 'coming from' when I'm doing this, I have a look in the book for more insight on the creator's background idea, otherwise I just think about how it might fir in with a 'traditional' meaning. Also, there's us- the forum. Discussing and sharing ideas is hugely valuable I think. If it helps to go through methodically as in the 78 weeks, that seems like a plan.

Zoe