PDA

View Full Version : Yes or No Questions

Roewyn
02-06-2007, 08:50
Hello! I am posting this because I have seen many questions regarding how to answer yes or now questions with the tarot.

I found this in the "Power Tarot" by Trish MacGregor and Phyllis Vega.

For any yes/no question, use the major arcana cards, the nine of cups, and four aces. The aces are for timing, all others are for yes, no, or can go either way. If the nine of cups comes up, it's a resounding yes. Otherwise, use the list below as a quideline.

YES
Fool
Magician
Empress
Emperor
Chariot
Justice
Star
Sun
World
Nine of Cups

NO
Strength
Tower
Temperance
Hermit
Hanged Man
Death
Devil

CAN GO EITHER WAY
High Priestess
Wheel of Fortune
Lovers
Hierophant
Moon
Judgment

Hope this helps!! :)

:love:

starless
02-06-2007, 15:16
Thanks Roewyn, I read about this somewhere but have never gotten to try it out. I'll keep this in mind.

zach bender
02-06-2007, 16:15
coming at this from the perspective
that tarot is not really for yes/no

it strikes me that this is loaded toward yes
10 of 22 yes plus one definite yes
7 no and 6 maybe

reducing the card to dice

zb

also I tend to see nine cups
as a kind of complacency

Sophie
02-06-2007, 17:41
Temperance and the Thoth Lust (Strength) has often come up for me as a "yes", so from the start I'd be making modifications to this list. 9 of Cups goes either way for me. Sometimes it simply means "you wish!", and sometimes it means "what you wish is coming true."

I do have success with yes/no questions with tarot, as long as I remain fluid, rather than categorical. "Yes, but", "No, and". That is, yes/no questions often yield complex answers. If you have a look at a reading Al Si'ra did recently, you'll get the idea - the answer was "yes", but a lot came with that yes, that made the answer complex, and of course humanly more interesting, and more useful to the querent.

Like ZB, I think trying to use the tarot for straight-up "yes/no", disregarding the complexities of human life, is reducing the cards to dice.

shadowdancer
02-06-2007, 18:13
I too am aware of this, but if asked a yes or no question (which I would always try to re-word as I don't like this as a question)
I would prefer to use the Quest deck. This does give yes or no possibilities but the card would also then go into detail as to why, why not etc.

Davina

Al Si'ra
02-06-2007, 20:34
Thanks for sharing this..!!

The list is helpful to me because for instance i sometimes do not know what to make of these majors and it gives me a clue..

Star and 9 of cups are a definite yes i agree but then they bring along some surprises as well-mostly meaning you will get what you want but not in the exact way you have expected it..that type of thing..

And i totally agree with the cards that go both ways..Tell me about the moon..it never gives me a clear answer lol :)

And my cards have a different way of telling me things SUN and ace of cups can mean death while death can mean something else..For instance yesterday i asked my cards if i had passed my project thing..i know i highly likely have passed there is only like %5 chance i failed..
I pulled Death Emperor and 10 of swords

LOOKS REALLY BAD..but ..there is one thing.. if i pass this course..it is going to be over and done with-that page will be closed..makes sense..

But on the other hand..i would also see death as a no..don't know will see..if something different comes up i will let you k n ow.
xx

Kenny
02-06-2007, 22:15
And my cards have a different way of telling me things SUN and ace of cups can mean death while death can mean something else..For instance yesterday i asked my cards if i had passed my project thing..i know i highly likely have passed there is only like %5 chance i failed..
I pulled Death Emperor and 10 of swords

LOOKS REALLY BAD..but ..there is one thing.. if i pass this course..it is going to be over and done with-that page will be closed..makes sense..

In the Thoth 10 of Cups is Ruin. Ruin can be bad yes, but it can also mean cutting off or destroying the past ready to move on with the future. :)

Roewyn
03-06-2007, 03:19
Interesting takes on this idea!!

I love how different cards mean different things in different decks, and it all depends also on how the meaning presents itself to its readers, as well as the cards surrounding!!

Awesome!! This is why I love the Tarot so much!!

Temperance and the Thoth Lust (Strength) has often come up for me as a "yes", so from the start I'd be making modifications to this list. 9 of Cups goes either way for me. Sometimes it simply means "you wish!", and sometimes it means "what you wish is coming true."

I love this!! 9 of Cups as "you wish".. lol.. I totally agree.

I have done many yes or no readings and have trouble with them often myself.. sometimes I can totally see a yes from the readings, but other times things can get a bit confusing, as someone stated regarding Al Si'ra's reading..

This is also why I love this forum so much, we all have different ideas and personal preferences on how to read the cards, and thats what makes it so majikal... :D

I personally try to read the surrounding cards if I pull three, because also like stated previously, the other cards can indicate why or how its going to happen, how you will get your "wish" and whether it will be exactly as you expect or not..

You may ask, "Do I have a future with so-and-so" Well, your answer can be yes, but it may not be in a romantic sense, more of just a friendship, or even could end up being a future meaning, you have a kid with them but not in a relationship.. lol.. of course, that lends to asking the appropriate question as well, hehe

Thanks guys for your takes on this.. Ill keep watching to see what other ideas and preferences come up here.. I know there alot whom do not use the tarot for yes or no for these reasons exactly.

)))))))))))Everyone((((((((((((((

Roe

starrystarrynight
03-06-2007, 03:25
One of the main reasons I obtained the Quest Tarot was its capacity to answer yes-no questions (its court cards have tiny daggers at the tops pointing up/down/one up one down/right/or left which you read as yes, no, maybe, or the answer lies in the future or past.)

I've been working with it diligently for about five months, often asking yes-no questions. I can't say that it is foolproof or accurate in answering yes-no questions, though. I still think that tarot doesn't do very well for cut-and-dried yes-no questions.

Sophie
03-06-2007, 08:36
You may ask, "Do I have a future with so-and-so" Well, your answer can be yes, but it may not be in a romantic sense, more of just a friendship, or even could end up being a future meaning, you have a kid with them but not in a relationship.. lol.. of course, that lends to asking the appropriate question as well, heheI learnt this the hard way. I remember I was waiting for a response on a job I was going for, which I really wanted. I asked "will I get this job?". And the cards seemed to be saying - yes, you will, but you are going to hate it because xxx (I'll spare you the boring details). Well, that's what happened. I got it, and quite soon hated it because of xxx. To come back to the 9 of Cups, and the famous saying - be careful what you wish for - and what the universe says yes to! :bugeyed:

That's why I try, once I get my yes/no, to probe a bit more deeply. In the example you gave, Roewyn, I would ask: what kind of future? How will it make me feel, how will it make the other feel? What will be be to each other? All this can help you decide on a course of action (if you follow the advice, of course, and don't do as I did with my job!!!)

cutiecutie
03-06-2007, 16:47
Interesting thread... so it's agreed that 7's mean no?

I'm crossing my fingers that that's the case... I got 2 7's in a yes/no Q:

7 of pentacles rx, 7 of wands rx

cutiecutie
03-06-2007, 17:59
I did find a good link that gives different techniques for yes/no :

http://www.tarotmoon.com/articles/Yes-No_Decisions/yes-no_decisions.html

Roewyn
04-06-2007, 04:44
Cutiecutie.. thanks for the link!!!

I hadn't found that one yet!

Roe

marablu
05-06-2007, 01:38
I use a yes-no spread I found in Mary Greer's book on Reversals, with a good degree of success. The beauty of this 3-card spread is that you can also assign meanings to each card, such as past-present-future, beneficial factors-obstacles-advice and so on, so after you get your yes, your no or your maybe, you also get more information about the situation. One yes is not equal to another in this way.

So, seeing as I'm quite happy with this spread, I would have to disagree with zach bender, as I don't think asking yes or no questions is 'reducing' the tarot to a game of dice at all. One of the reasons we use tarot is to get answers, and, inevitably, a lot of us have yes or no questions that we need answers to. Sometimes more detailed spreads (Celtic Cross, anyone?) can be confusing, especially when you're still starting out. A simple yes or no, besides satisfying your curiosity, can help you to build your confidence in your card-reading skills. But yes, I do agree that any yes-no spread should not be weighted towards either a yes or a no.

balenciaga
06-06-2007, 00:11
I agree with the 3- card method for Yes/No. I do not use it often, though, because I sort have broken the habit of asking.
The 3-card method gives tarot room to answer, for example, Will the King of Wands do x, yes or no?
"no, the King of Wands will not do x (he will be reversed), but the King of Cups will"(he will be right side up, looking straight at you). The third card will be whatever the context of the question was.

Seafra
06-06-2007, 01:19
During a recent quest for new employment I got the 7 of wands as the conclusion in a CC for the result of an interview for a job I was very interested in. Sure enough, two more interviews, a change in "hiring status" (went from new hire category to replacing a promoted staff member which included corporate mumbo jumbo paperwork on their end) and a urine test later it is mine. Was a long and tough path to this job, but the 7 of wands let me know I could stop sending out resumes. - Sea

Aladdin
17-06-2007, 11:14
Whilst attending the tarot evening class we were told that if the Sun appears in the spread, "the answer is yes". No other cards were ever suggested for this, for what this is worth.