going through the abcs

isthmus nekoi

I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in doing an informal study group exploring the three foundational areas of astrology: planets, signs and houses? I think it would be fruitful to have discussions beyond the brief, keyword based stuff you get in a lot of beginner astrology books/sites.

Minderwiz

That's a good idea Isthmus, AG would be the best person, if she is able to fit it in and I'd certainly look forward to her slant. Otherwise I would be prepared to do it if she is unable. But in that case its a bit of a Sorceror's Apprentice scenario!

Minderwiz

isthmus nekoi

Thank you for offering to support the group, Minderwiz. I honestly don't think you give yourself enough credit! I'm sure many of us have learned a lot from your posts already!

If more ppl are interested, I hope the objective of the group would be to get a firm mental grasp of the basics in order to *synthesize* that knowledge in a greater context of planet placements in a chart, transits and suchlike as much of what I've read is a tad too deterministic or brief for my taste.

Natalya

Im definetely interested :)

Minderwiz

Thanks for the vote of confidence Isthmus. I'd love to support a group if it gets going - I still feel however that AG is the best person if she's willing. However definitely count me in, either way.

Minderwiz

AquarianGoddess

Unfortunately with my schedule, I'd be unable to give this study group the time it deserves....but am certainly willing to chime in with my 2 cents now and then.

Minderwiz, you'd make a wonderful instructor!

Isthmus, you always have such good ideas!

AG

zorya

isthmus, i am so glad you suggested this. i really look forward to learning the basics! i read this forum regularly, hoping to pick up on things by osmosis i guess, lol.

..and a great big thank you to minderwiz!

ladycj

Hip Hip Horray! I've been wanting to learn, I even have a astrology program I can send to anyone, that a friend of mine sent me. It is shareware and you only need to register it if you want the full version. The program plots the houses based on the dates entered. You can even do a comparison on two sets of dates.

Just let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Minderwiz

Well there seems a fair amount of interest so I think we should go ahead. As I see it, the fundamentals are Planets, Signs and Houses, so perhaps we could work our way through them.

Its eithers signs or planets to start with - I'll go along with whichever peeps would prefer.

Minderwiz

isthmus nekoi

Sounds great! I was personally thinking of simultaneously going through each house/sign and the planets who rule them ie. Capricorn, the 10th and Saturn. One group a month was the time span I had in mind - hey, maybe we could study the topic in conjunction w/ the duration of the sign so it's most relavant! If this sounds good, we could start w/Scorpio, 8th and Pluto/Mars although we'd be late. If not, I am open to suggestions as I realize doing all 3 at once might be biting off more than we can chew :p

As for the actual topic itself, I think we could break down different aspects of the planet, sign or house ie:
1) basic description
2) the history (ie. astrology didn't always include pluto so that will be interesting when we get to him)
3) the application (how does the energy manifest itself?)
4) links to other systems (mythology, tarot, psychology, alchemy)

If I've forgotten anything, or if there's another aspect you'd like to cover, pls post ^_^