Astrology for Tarot Readers

dadsnook2000

I have to assume that participants here on AT are highly interested in the Tarot. Those who come to this forum also have an interest in astrology. My question or questions are:

1) From the strictly Tarot view, what do you feel you need to know about Astrology that will make you a better tarot reader?

2) If you had some capable level of astrology, or indeed do have those skills, how do you or how would you use astrology in concert with your tarot practice?

3) What specific portions of astrology are useful within the practice of tarot?

4) Do you, or would you, use both Tarot and Astrology together in a reading?

5) Do you see astrology as better for somethings and tarot better for other things? If so, what is best where?

When you answer, please note the numbered question you are refering to as some answers may apply to more than one question. Thank you. Dave

isthmus nekoi

Great questions!

1) They're different systems so when I use astrology in conjunction w/tarot, it's a different kind of astrology, a Tarotized/Golden Dawnicized astrology. That vein of astrology is heavily elemental/sign based, draws from the Qaballah etc. It's really a different animal. A lot of the traditional astro stuff does NOT cross over successfully into tarot I think.

2) I never have mixed traditional astro and tarot. The GD vein of astro all the time, esp if I'm using a deck like Thoth.

3) Symbolism of signs and planets. Related mythologies and esoteric systems e.g. alchemy.

4) I'd rather not do both a tarot reading and astro chart reading. Too time consuming considering you should be able get all the info you need from one source.

5)

Tarot's strengths
- it's portable
- its symbolism is highly flexible
- highly interactive readings (e.g. all querents can connect to tarot imagery to some degree while a chart is totally meaningless for most)
- it can be a syncretic system, prompting greater study
- is open to various levels of study and methods of reading
- can serve as a good visual basis for reflection and meditation, e.g. scrying

Astro's strengths
- incredibly precise timing. Astro is far superior to tarot in this aspect, there's no contest. This is a major plus imo, for predictive work.
- standarized, well tested methods of interpretation
- strong traditions (e.g. horary astro, mundane astro)
- requires committment and discipline to learn

Overall, I'd say I prefer astro for precise predictive/practical purposes while tarot for me is more meditative and internal. Tarot can definitely be used for practical things, but I just find it more condusive to intuitive thinking etc.

Enchanted

Great questions! But hard questions! I'll have a stab at it but some I might have to answer some questions with I have no idea!

Astrology actually led me to Tarot and I have had an interest in it since my teens. I am able to calculate a birthchart using an Ephemrides but it takes me a long long time, and is pretty useless knowledge in a way now, with all the software that bing, bang, boom does it for you. What I am trying to say is that my knowledge of astrology is quite basic, symbols, basic meanings and never got as far as to forecasting, so this is a beginners perspective on your questions.

1) I don't think that knowledge of astrology will necessarily make you a better tarot reader. I feel that it is like another string in your bow, like knowledge of kabbalah, alchemy, myth, literature, art, history, music, all these things and more add to the individuals repertoire of knowledge.

In saying that, coming to tarot from astrology, it certainly helped that I knew the symbols for planets and signs and had a basic idea of what that meant.

2) First I would need to be capable! :) But I do use it for timing sometimes with the Golden Dawn correspondances. The WHEN question. Sometimes the WHO, with court cards, but as there seems to be debate on what sign is what, I find that unreliable. I often think that the WHO, if that is what is represented by a court card, might be representative of the individuals ascendent rather than sun sign, which makes sense if you consider that to be the face they show the world, and that information is not so easy to ascertain. Personally, I haven't had great success with that. I think it might be useful more in terms of personality traits rather than a precise sun sign.

3) As I mentioned before I think it is useful to know the symbols and basic meanings.

4) No, only in the way mentioned above. Too complicated for me!

5) I honestly can't answer that question as I don't think I know enough yet to say. :)

franniee

dadsnook2000 said:
1) From the strictly Tarot view, what do you feel you need to know about Astrology that will make you a better tarot reader?

I believe astrology helps me communicate with the querent better. I don't think it makes me a better tarot reader per se - but I think it aids communication.

dadsnook2000 said:
2) If you had some capable level of astrology, or indeed do have those skills, how do you or how would you use astrology in concert with your tarot practice?

I use it to help me figure out time frames - to describe a person/general personalities or feelings of what will be..... like the wheel is jupiter to me so I draw on my knowledge of jupiter when explaining the effects of the wheel in a reading... but if I did not know the wheel is jupiter I could still read without a doubt.

dadsnook2000 said:

I don't know enough of astrology to be able to discuss a person's chart with them in conjunction with a tarot reading.... I can give them a broad idea of certain personality traits given a natal chart but I can't progress it and give them detailed info on what will be given certain aspects.

dadsnook2000 said:
5) Do you see astrology as better for somethings and tarot better for other things? If so, what is best where?

I don't think they are mutually exclusive - I think they can be combined. My knowledge of astrology limits the way I can use it - but I do use what I can - all of the time. :)

:)

Sinduction

I'm so having a go at this since I've begun to merge the two. I started with tarot though.
dadsnook2000 said:
This is the same as #3 so I put it there.

Astrology really helps to understand dignity and the relation of the cards to each other. If you have to elements that don't merge well you can better see how the cards will relate to each other.

Knowing the different signs and their qualities, ie fixed, mutable, cardinal. It also helps to know the element and planet associated with each card.

Yes but you don't have to worry about your querent's qualities, other than their sun sign if you wanted to. Each card of the tarot is linked to a astro sign, planet, and element. It really is easy to do.

I don't do astro readings. I only use it in relation to tarot.

If you are looking for more info there is a wonderful easy to read book called "Tarot Decoded" by Elizabeth Hazel. I got it for cheap at a half priced book store. It is so easy to understand and it has really helped explain astrology in relation to the tarot. I don't know if her interpretation is correct, as I don't know astro except for what I've learned there. It really has made my reading click more.

sunstallion

I want to know everything about astrology, be an expert in astrology. However, astrology is such a complicate subject that I cannot learn it myself, and I havent had time to invest to invest in a class with a professional astrologer.

Understanding about the person I read tarot from an astrological point of view would definitely help. However, some people dont know their real birth time.

Sometimes, I want to know about something that involves people. It's hard to ask for their birth info. They may not give it out or they make it up. Like in the recent Miss Universe Pageant, before the competition. How can I tell whether Miss Japan is going to win or Miss USA is going to fall without their birth info.

All of them, but I think sun sign and rising sign are the most useful.

I would, if I know astrology. All tarot readers I have been to ask me what are my sun sign and my rising sign.

No, I think astrology is a complement to tarot because every tarot reader I went to. They tell me somewhat about my astrology in addition to the cards.

Whereas, every astrologer I consulted, none used tarot.

ravenest

1) As much as possible.

2)As another system of classification of the querant's influences (Tarot; 4, 10, 22. Astrology 7, 12.) also as a modifier. One lot of cards means something different to one person (or can 'effect them differently') than the same set sith another. The astrological influences effecting a person can modify the card arrangement (and visa versa).

3) I have my own system, one important difference I like to use is that between their tropical astrological sun position and the astronomical Sun position (if more follows from this I go to the same with Moon and planets).

4) Yes.

5) Yes. Generally people seem to accept an astrological reading as more of as long term work on the self project while they mostly want tarot about the here and now.

Baccus93

I think Sinduction said it all and said it best, but I'll add my two-cents.

dadsnook2000 said:

You need to know every thing you can. I think this is just simple uncommon sense. You need to know every thing you can about every thing there is, every thing you bother with. Driving a car, for instance. Now, you don't need to know how to fix a carburetor in a vehicle in order to drive it, true - but suppose you're on a trip to granny's home 800 miles away and something goes wrong. You'll be damn grateful you know what you know.

You should at least know the Signs, their qualities, and where they fit in the order of things - dignities, rulerships, fall, etc. You should also learn the house system - what each house stands for. And how the whole scheme generally works. In short, the overall basics. Read "Astrology for Dummies" and that should be what you need (require) for a minimum.

dadsnook2000 said:

That depends on really what this question is asking. Does it mean I am using astrological information about the here/now of a reading, like erecting a chart for the querent as well as giving a reading? That's not necessary. Or are you asking how am I using my astro (astro - taros - rotas : ooh, cool) knowledge while giving a reading? I'm applying the information to add to the depth of meaning in the cards. I'll also know where to emphasis certain points - like if I have a good number of Sagittarius based cards in a reading, I'm going to start thinking 9th House terms about the situation - if I happen to know the querent's nativity, i might also be able to place it where ever their Sagittarian influences are and answer with even more specific information.

dadsnook2000 said:

I see no limit.

dadsnook2000 said:

Please read the above. I'm not entirely sure what you mean. If I knew a querent's nativity already, and was already versed in his/her use of the aspects in life, of course it would just be one more very valuable tool to get the clearest picture possible. I have used Tarot and Astrology together in this way. Say for instance a client is about to face a very interesting configuration of transits to their natal chart - we've used the Tarot to best determine how to get through it.

Imagine for a second a room with singing bowls all around here and there, various glasses filled with various amounts of liquid, stringed instruments about the place, some crystals and wind chimes and all sorts of pretty noise making things. Strike a cord with any one of them and then suddenly we have this harmonic resonance thing happening all around the room. This is what happens when you play with symbols like we are discussing here. And that's the way I like it. :)
dadsnook2000 said:

Just the short answer - Astrology is better for "Know thy self", Tarot is better for "Know thy way." It is, after all, the Royal Road.

But in all

Toras
Astro
Taros
Rotas

These all be wheels.

dadsnook2000

Thank you

Thank you all for your response. I have been asked to write a column that addresses the basics of Astrology for those who are practicing Tarot. Not to blend one into the other but merely to provide a grounding point as to what Astrology is, how is can be practiced, and how to get started in studying the subject.

The answers given help me in one portion of my consideration to take on this small project. Thank you. If this moves ahead I will let everyone know the whats and whens. Dave