Computer Tarot Journal

Keldor

This may seem like a silly question, but do any of use keep a Tarot Journal on you computer (ie: using a word processor to keep your Tarot journal), I was thinking of starting a Tarot Journal and was considering using my computer to write down the entries. Any help on this subject is apprciated.

Thank you

Gayla

I started out using Microsoft Word...then I started doing a blog, but I haven't been consistent with anything I tried.

I thought about doing a scrapbook...:)

dadsnook2000

Another approach

Several of us here use a product called TreeDBnotes. This is like a word processor but with an "explorer-like" side-bar or tree where you can create topics, chapters, sections, pages, sub-pages and then write text, notes, paste pictures or diagrams, copy and paste content from web-sites into your pages, etc.

I have a Tarot Journal for cards, spreads, etc. in addition to a very extensive Astrological Journal. The good thing is you can pop this up anytime and copy and paste into it and out of it into other on-screen projects.

There is a free version on-line and a pay-for version that costs only $29 US. This is well worth the price and I purchased it after using the free version for about a year. The full program comes with templates for various projects but I just make up my own structures to suit my tastes. Dave

Mellifluous

For me personally, it's better to use something that allows the use of tags. Otherwise, it would be too much to go digging through later when you want to refer to an old entry.

I keep mine on an online blog platform. It's free and all entries are set to private. I tag every entry with the name of the card, the numbers, and whatever else I want to track.

That way, if I get a card I haven't seen in ages, for example, I can click the tag and it brings up all entries where I got that card. I can see how I interpreted it in the past, how my understanding has evolved, think about how it actually played out in life, etc. Also, I can use little pictures of the cards as icons. It works for me. :)

I also have a journalling software program on my computer, but I do not put tarot readings in it for the most part. It's called LifeJournal. You can make up your own categories and subcategories of whatever you want for tagging entries and use it the same way. You can insert pictures and links. You (can) set a password and your entire journal is encrypted on the hard drive, so no one can go snooping in it.

It would be very good for tarot journalling if you wanted to set up all the tags. (Or you could just use the search function. Tags are great though.) You can also make separate journals within it, with different logins, if you want to keep a separate personal journal. Or just let them all mix together. lol It's totally up to you.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

Sinduction

I have to confess that I have spent the entire evening searching the net for free programs. I have been using Word which is horrible to keep track of this many files.

The only program I did not remove almost immediately was the TreeDBNotes. This one gets my vote. The version is free, it is easily navigated. Once you figure out how the tree works, of course. This is a great program.

Hope that helps you make the decision. I'm off to finish importing all my files.

WolfyJames

I've been a happy user of TreeDBNotes for quite a while, and I caved in and asked my mother to buy me a licence for the Pro version (which you keep for all future versions), since I use it for so many things every day. There is a free version but the pro one is so much better of course with much more. I use it for my tarot notes, tarot journaling, various oracles notes and journaling, book of shadows, diary, notes, stories I write, etc. Here is what my tarot database looks like in it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/wolfyjames/nada/treedbnotespro1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/wolfyjames/nada/treedbnotespro2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/wolfyjames/nada/treedbnotespro3.jpg

Little Baron

Maybe it is just me, but I have had trouble with the tree note thing not updating information on more than one occasion. So I scrapped that.

These days, I opened a single web-based email account, just for tarot. Wherever I am, if I am near a computer and need to save some info or make some comments or do a daily drae, I send the stuff from other mail accounts to that email inbox. All of the emails are accessible from anywhere and archived by date. I can send pictures and forward feedback there, to access anywhere at a later time. I try to give titles that make sense, like sending all of the notes I had made on my Margarete Petersen Cups cards the other day, which is in one email. I don't have to get too fancy with layout and I have no restriction on size. It is like putting little notes in a box, but with a bit more order. My email has folders to break it all up into different catorgaries. Works for me at the moment as I can just 'send and go'.

LB

Asenath

I used to use the free versions of TreeDBNotes, but I kept finding that the program started having errors occur so I stopped using it.

Now I use MS Word, and have several different documents (ie. Daily reading, spreads, reading for others, etc.) In word, if you know how to use headers you can always create your own tree and can easily find entries by title.

WolfyJames

Asenath said:
I used to use the free versions of TreeDBNotes, but I kept finding that the program started having errors occur so I stopped using it.

The first version of TreeDBNotes was made free and the subsequent upgrades are the pro version, which means that the free version has bugs that were corrected in the later versions (pro). I have no issue with the latest version which is the Pro version, it's very stable.