Do your decks hold special memories?

Keldor

Do you have any special memories attached to your decks, maybe they were a gift from a friend or something along those lines. I know mine do.

A few years ago, I met this girl online and we became good friends (we both loved the Phantom of the Opera, and both of us wanted to go to Paris some day), well as my birthday drew near she began to talk about getting me a gift (she would send me all sort of neat stuff all the time, she even bought me a watch once) I didn't want her to get me anything expensive so I asked for a Tarot deck (I was curious about it at the time, and she knew all about it) so she asked to pick out a deck I like, I finally settled on a Tarot of the New Vision) we were such good friends she would call me on the phone. well after awhile I lost contact with her, and yes, I miss her. I still think about her and if destiny will make our paths cross again.

Annabelle

Most of my decks don't hold special memories for me - but the Hudes is an exception.

At my old job there was one co-worker (who became a close friend) that I used to read for on a fairly regular basis, and she loved the Hudes. She looked very much like the Queen of Wands, and that card came up frequently when I read for her.

So whenever I'm using the Hudes, I think of her . . . . haven't seen her since I moved and changed jobs, but we exchange emails from time to time.

Moon mind

Do you have any special memories attached to your decks, maybe they were a gift from a friend or something along those lines

I do. Maybe that's why i don't like to use RW deck it is attached to peroid of my life i don't want to be reminded of.
And I have great memories attached to fortuntelling cards that i love to use all thetime. interesting.
you would think that the deck should be free of any vibration to get clear reading ... i guess it doesn't work that way.

room

My memories of decks are related to the reference books I buy for them and the art I create in response to books or cards.

For instance, tarot history for many involves studying Gnosticism or Neoplatonism. I learned of these things through studying language history and the history of the alphabet, plus the lives of the Saints and general history. The knowledge doesn't come from "approved" tarot tomes, but a wider scope of human history.

Likewise, if I buy a deck featuring an artist like Da Vinci, or Bosch, or Klimt, I buy books on those artists, their lives, and the social history of the time they lived in and knowledge of their contemporaries.

Sometimes I draw a card and make my own art using those colours, or I might draw a mandala and use some of the symbolism from the card in my mandala. I also write essays on cards when relating them to other cards and keep them in a journal. I write poetry about cards and characters.

All these things are what make special memories for me with my cards. Often if I have a memory of a particular reading, it will be a memory of the light in the room or where I was sitting and my feelings. Sometimes a visual memory of one particular card, like when I did the Fool card from the Hallowquest Arthurian deck and my small journal for that deck.

I suppose the memories come from the action I take in using the decks, which isn't necessarily related to using them for readings.

Different strokes.

SunChariot

All my decks have special memories of the readings I have done with them for myself and loved ones. One in particular stands out though, because that deck changed my life in such a good positive way, forever. That would be my Lovers' Path Tarot.

In a reading I did for a friend who believed strongly in angels, I kept seeing the message of her cards as a message from her angels telling her they were there by her side....I just felt it, that that is a good part of what her readings was saying. Which was rather exceptional at the time as I did not at all believe in angels at the time I did the reading. Yet there it was. I just felt sure for some reason that that was a good part of the message of the cards.

The next reading I did for myself indicated angels in my life helping me along. And I felt sure again. That set me off on a long period of study about angels, as I had knew less than nothing about them before, and that was enough to convince me. They are now an important part of my life.

I always smile when I see that deck or even just when I think of it. The imagery is so conducive to seeing that kind of thing, not to mention stunning. For that reason that deck is the one that most improved my life.:heart:

Bar

Keldor

That's a lovely story Sun Chariot, it shows us just how much they become part of us.

Astraea Aurora

Keldor said:
Do you have any special memories attached to your decks, maybe they were a gift from a friend or something along those line.

I do.

I got my Old Path just because the Majors were once printed in a girl's magazine when I was younger. My first tarot deck ever, so to speak. I haven't used it for ages, but I will always remember why I bought it.

With my DruidCraft it's a rather sad story. One day I was reading for my ex-best friend, about her relationship. In her boyfriend's future the 5 of Cups were lying and I haven't told her, nor him, about that. A couple of weeks later his mom suddenly died. I haven't used it since then, I'm somehow scared although I really love the artwork. Maybe some day ...

Astraea Aurora

Keldor

I can understand the fear if something like that happened, I would be cautious about using a certain deck, but you really shouldn't be afraid of it, it wasn't the cards themselves and the result would be same no matter if you used Astrology, I Ching, or some other divination technique.

Little Baron

My first deck, the Rohrig.

It reminds me of warm summer evenings, the windows open to my bedroom. A massive red bed and bright fire-red muslin blowing from the windows. Insense and candles burning. And friends sitting on the bed with me as I read, intuitively, big clock spreads. Didn't have a clue and it was great. I took them everywhere and they were so special. I used them exclusively for a couple of years. On the floors of bathrooms while friends had had too much alcohol. In caravans perched on the side of cliffs in the howling wind next to a slaughter house [yes, that wasn't quite so nice]. Fortelling arguments with friend in her flat and was correct. It really wove through my life.

And then there is the Winged Spirit. From an ex.

The Morgan Greer, which my mum bought me when I was very, very down - it helped me move forward as I studied it on [another] my bed during the summer holidays.

LB

Emily

None of my decks really held any special memories or significance to me - well until I took delivery of the Renaissance Tarot. I've only had this deck around 2 weeks but I'm convinced something looked out for it LOL

I went away for the Bank Holiday weekend and came back on the Tuesday. I've worked out that this deck most likely sat in front of my front door since the Saturday morning, 4 days, in the pouring rain.

When I picked it up the outer cardboard packaging fell apart in my hands and I took what I thought would be a damp and ruined deck indoors. I had to wipe the plastic dry that covered the outerdeck box but as I did this I realised that the plastic was fully sealed with no holes - I took this plastic off and then tried to get the stiff two card box off the cards, this I had to pry off - a symptom of getting so damp I thought - I did get it off in the end by running a knife around the edge of the box (its a really sturdy solid two part box) and pulling gently. Then I realised that the cards inside were also fully sealed with plastic with no holes at all.

Actually I was pretty amazed that when I finally got to the cards, the only evidence of them being out in the rain was that they were really cold and it took about 24 hours for the deck to warm up to room temperature.

This deck really was bought on a whim but I've really took to it and it does have a very special place in my heart mainly because of how bad I felt for it sitting out there waiting and its such a good deck.