I can't shuffle the druidcraft

Eilan

I received yesterday the druidcraft tarot. I can't shuffle it: in two days I have destroyed many angles (the paper splits), I don't know if this is because my hands are very little and this deck is larger than usual or because the quality of the paper is not good, it never happened with the other decks I own... I tried to shuffle it in a more "delicate" way, just putting half the cards on the other half and letting them sliding togheter, but in this way all the cards fall everywhere and I feel really stupid.
I know that many of you have this deck, please tell me how do you shuffle it without destroying it (if it's not only my problem of course!)

Emily

Hi Eilan,

I have the DruidCraft too, its not the thickest of card stock so I shuffled them top over top. I have small hands.

Take the short deck end into the palm of your hand and shuffle them top over top, using your fingers to control the rest of the cards.

Its an easy shuffle to master and you'll never have a problem with the large decks again. :)

Sulis

Like Emily I shuffle cards top over top and this works really well with larger decks.

With the DruidCraft though, my advice is trim it.
Take a look at the index thread at the top of the Talking Tarot forum, there you'll find threads about trimming decks, I think the DruidCraft is a favourite for trimming: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57517

It looks excellent trimmed and the cards are just the right size to handle.
I find that trimming a deck really helps me to bond with it too and you end up with a deck that feels very much like your deck.
Here are a few pictures of the trimmed cards:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/tarotsulis/Druidcraft Tarot/DruidcraftAceofSwords.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/tarotsulis/Druidcraft Tarot/druidcraft-Ace-of-Wands.gif
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/tarotsulis/Druidcraft Tarot/DruidCraft8ofCups.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/tarotsulis/Druidcraft Tarot/DruidCraft---KIng-of-Swords.gif

AJ

I trimmed mine, love them this way!
Trimmed them twice actually.
First just the outer border, then again the 2nd border. I left the thin stone border and the titles.

This was the first deck I trimmed and to get over my fear of cutting good cards I practiced on a old standard deck of cards.

Nice sharp scissors and a corner rounder (craft stores or on-line) is all you need. It takes about 1-1/2 hours to do a deck and it's good quality time with your cards.

edited to add: beat by Sulis ;)

Attachments

• aaa 047.jpg
    aaa 047.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 562
  • corner rounder.jpg
    corner rounder.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 204

Marua

A craft knife or scalpel, and a metal ruler is also good. Then you dont have to worry about cutting uneven, you just slide the knife down along the ruler, and you get one straight, even cut. Then do the corners with a corner punch and you're done.

EarthAngel2911

Ooohh... I have to say, I've never really thought about trimming a deck because borders don't bother me, and the size of the DruidCraft doesn't seem to bother me either. But Sulis, the images you posted with the cards completely trimmed are just gorgeous! Of course, if I do decide to trim, I know I'll end up getting a backup deck to keep whole. :)

MeeWah

I shuffle the larger decks by splitting the deck into two piles & shuffling them width-wise, using the narrower part of the deck. This can be done without bending the cards.

Or just cut the deck as many times as the number of cards needed.

The advantage to both methods is that not only easier for small hands, but they also minimize wear on decks, especially those with thin cardstock.

Eilan

Thank you for your replies.

Until yesterday I didn't want to trim the cards because
1. I like borders, especially the stone borders of the druidcraft because they give me the impression that I am watching the scene through a window
2. I feared to regret after trimming and I've waited for this deck more than one month...
But... this morning I was going crazy with the shuffle and I destroyed other angles, I was even thinking of repairing the angles with glue but then I decided to ask the cards what I should do. Answer: 3 of pents-a man chiseling a stone. I took the scissor and began trimming (only the white borders because I like the stone ones too much) and... the cards are much much better now :D and I enjoyed it and now I want to trim other decks!

Which decks have you trimmed? I want to trim them all :D

AJ

I've trimmed the Baroque Bohemian Cats, Miss Cleo, and Druidcraft, and I think I've done the Druid Oracle. I really like all my decks, but if they aren't working for me or look odd to me I'm all for some judicious trimming.

If you couldn't see over the steering wheel or reach the pedals of your car, you wouldn't just try drive it anyway, you'd make adjustments to get the best use for your needs. Cards are just paper and carbon and ink and trimming is fun!

BodhiSeed