Help and advice for the Celtic Cross staff

Enchanted

I am finding it difficult to interpret the staff side of the celtic cross. The cross part, no problem, I think I read that quite well but the staff that is where I start to flounder and I know I am floundering so I panic and it gets worse, total block!

I assign the position meanings as:

7. Present/Querent
8. Environment (what surrounds)
9. Hope/Fears and advice
10. Probable outcome

I persevere with this spread because I get so much from the cross side of it.

Any thoughts on how I can begin to get some sense from the staff side of this spread would be much appreciated! :)

Debra

I see it as

7 The person (your position in the situation)
8 their environment (your surroundings)
9 experiencing specific emotions (hopes & fears)
10 and what they might expect

The key words I memorized were "self" "home" "hopes and fears" "final outcome".

I've never really seen this part as a problem! Is it the vertical "staff" that's confounding? Maybe simply laying the cards out in a different physical configuration would help!

Sulis

I change the position meanings in a Celtic Cross depending on the question.

I think it's important not to get bogged down and stuck with positional meanings that are static.

For example:
7. How you see yourself in this situation (it may be completely different to how the situation actually is or how others see it).
8. Could be someone else (the other in a relationship).
It could be how others are thinking of you with regard to the situation.
It could be the surrounding energies.
9. I usually have this as a general guidance or gate or key card -it's important
10. Probable outcome

Alta

I also alter the staff meanings a bit:

7. Present/Querent: not the 'present' so much as how the querent is reacting to or handling the current situation. Or what impact it is having on him/her. Very related to the question, not the querent 'in general'.

8. Environment (what surrounds): This is often what the people near the querent are saying or doing that is impacting how the querent acts. Could be an interfering MIL in a relationship question for example. Could be that high stress at work is keeping the querent from handling the real issues etc.
In general, what impact are those not directly in the issue having?

9. Hope/Fears and advice: I read this as 'hopes', then I read it again as 'fears' and find that very revealing. Yes, same card, gives a balanced viewpoint.
I have never read it as advice, but if you do, be consistent.

10. Probable outcome: This I read as 'outcome if nothing is changed and events continue along their current path'. If the querent makes even small changes as suggested by the cards, this is the most mutable card in the group. (The least mutable is the 'below' card. Always watch that sucker, it'll bite him/her in the back!)

MeeWah

I usually use these associations:

7. Querent, fears & concerns: Do not see this so much as related to the present as to prompt an examination of self. & towards providing perspective regarding the interest or issues on the subject.

The first 2 positions describe the present status or situation, & this provides context & perspective in relation to those positions.

8. Relationships; environment: The particular relationship or atmosphere either personal or non-personal within the context of the reading which could be affecting the situation being examined or has a bearing on same.

It can describe the prevailing condition like a weather report & also another person's intent &/or action as related to the personal or non-personal. Such as, if one seeks to ask for a raise, it can suggest if this an opportune time or not. Or to whom to best address.

9. Hopes & dreams: This offsets or balances out position 7.

It not only can provide information &/or insight regarding the immediate means towards a goal, but contain advice towards the longer term as to how to achieve that most desired.

10. Outcome based on the above: The possible to probable result if no changes wrought because an outcome/result based on that foregoing; thus, of a cumulative effect from all that thought, projected outward or done towards the most likely.

In effect, a reading isolates the most 'active' aspects in a situation to provide a view of that most pertinent at any one time, which may address something other than the stated query. & since an outcome not set in stone, even a slight variation in choices or routine can influence an outcome change. It represents a 'superficial' summation of all the prior cards.

In addition, I see it to be capable of encompassing the 'future', both the short term & the long term.

Edited to add: it can augment or support position 6 (3 o'clock), which I see as the near future *or* a new situation developing.

Enchanted

Thanks for all these great responses it has certainly given me a lot to think about! :)

My intial reaction is that I over-reacted a little. The staff has been a problem for me of late in my own personal readings. But I didn't hesitate to use it when reading 'live' for another person as the problems I have in my personal readings don't, for some reason, tend to follow me into readings for others.

Now in this case it did, hence the panic, but they are a few other variables to take into consideration. Firstly, 'live' readings take me out of my comfort zone, this could also be a reason for the block.

What MeeWah said about the reading addressing "something other than the stated query" made a lightbulb go off. As in this instance, the querent (who is also a friend) wouldn't tell me the question. The cards spoke of a work issue, and I proceeded as such, with my friend nodding in agreement, then at about card 5 they said "I did actually ask about a relationship".

I guess that stumped me, as what had originally been a clear work reading I was then trying to see a possible relationship as well, which to be honest wasn't there. This was a work reading, about working relationships and a recent promotion and my friends feelings and fears about that and the reactions of collegues.

I like what you said Marion about the 'below' card being the one to watch. Ah yep, learnt that one the hard way and think I still have the teeth marks to prove it! :D

I am going to try Debra's suggestion about laying them out differently as when I thought about it, other spreads I use I do read mainly horizontally, so that may help. It could be something to do with it being vertical.

I'm going to note down what you all said about how you read the positions, where it differs from mine and what other cards that you relate that back to in the spread and hopefully for my own readings this will help unblock the block. Fingers crossed! :)

Thanks again for taking the time to help with my query! :)