Oregon Tarot Readers....

Indigo Rose

Hi I have some questions about being a Professional Tarot Reader in Oregon.
My mind and heart have been changing about charging money for readings, as I have explored this and wrestled personal issues with it. I'm still not convinced, but in the exploratory phase right now. It's something I am seriously considering, but a bit nervous and uncertain; not to mention clueless as to how to start around these parts.

For anyone who knows here are some questions I have:

What are the laws regarding charging for Tarot Readings in Oregon? I've searched and found nothing.

Are you certified?
Does it make a difference in Oregon if you are versus if you are not?

How do you market yourself and make contact with Querents?

What's a reasonable rate for readings?

What do I need to know about income taxation issues?

There is a local Pagan bookstore in town which has only been open a year. They are doing OK, but not as well as they could...especially since the owner's Aunt opened her shop just down the street with the same focus. :( The woman mentioned it to me, and I could tell it bothered her. She is a really nice woman who has a great vision for wanting to expand her store to cover a broader Metaphysical scope. She doesn't read Tarot, but sells some decks. That would be so fantastic...this town needs to broaden it's horizons...and I feel we are on the verge of a major shift with all the growth and changes in our community. After visiting her store, I wondered if she would be interested in offering Tarot readings through her shop. It could bring her additional business, and readers could give her a percentage...which would also be beneficial to her and the readers. I have no idea if she would consider it, and haven't had the nerve to ask...but it's been on my mind for over a month now.

If anyone has an information or tips regarding being a Tarot Reader in Oregon, I would love to get your advice.

:heart: indigo rose

Grizabella

I'm not the final say on this topic, so I'll just tell you from my own point of view and then maybe others who are real tarot business types will add their voice. I've put my comments in bold to highlight them.

What are the laws regarding charging for Tarot Readings in Oregon? I've searched and found nothing.

I'm not sure what they are, other than to know it's evidently legal.

Are you certified?
Does it make a difference in Oregon if you are versus if you are not?

No, I'm not certified and never will be. I don't believe in it. It's not required in Oregon and I don't believe it makes any difference. I certainly hope not.

How do you market yourself and make contact with Querents?

Usually when they find out I'm a reader, they make contact with me. But I know others do it through booths at fairs and things, handing out business cards and flyers.

What's a reasonable rate for readings?

I do it by donation, but if I were to charge for it by the reading, I think probably $20 for a 20 minute reading would be fair.

What do I need to know about income taxation issues?

I haven't earned enough to warrant paying any taxes on the income, but the people I hang around with in the fairs, powwows, etc. often operate on a cash basis and that's kind of a no-fuss income, you might say. :p

Indigo Rose

Solitaire* said:
I'm not the final say on this topic, so I'll just tell you from my own point of view and then maybe others who are real tarot business types will add their voice.

I have thought about doing it only for donations; especially because it's not money that I am seeking. What I really want to do is read for people...broaden my scope of experience...hopefully make a difference and enjoy the work. However, it seems pretty odd to just go and offer to read for people...there has to be some connection or reason for it. That's why I wrestle with doing it at all, because of not knowing how to go about making contacts with Querents. Hearing how you do it is very intriguing to me.

Thank you, Solitaire. :)

:heart: indigo rose

Umbrae

If you hang out a shingle, or accept any credit cards, paypal, or checks - you'll need a business license in Oregon.

When I did a Body Mind Spirit fair there they included the 'business license' as part of the table fee.

But when I read on a cash basis, and took only money 'under the table', I didn't worry about that.

Stay under the radar and you're fine. Start making money - and you'll need that license, an accountant, and tax forms.

edited to add: As for Certification - never have been. Don't believe in it and never will. We're Tarot readers...what are they going to test me on, what books I've read, how good of parrot I am? I'll stay outlaw thank you!

:smoker:

Red Emma

Oregon Tarot readers

There are several metaphysical stores here in Portland, I only know about two of them -- Healing Waters and Sacred Spaces on NE Broadway at about 24th St, and New Renasaince which is in the NW area. Can't think fo their address. Both sell cards. HWSS has tarot readers which people may make appointments with, and New Renasaince usually has someone giving classes. I haven't been there for a long time and I'm not sure what they're doing now.

It would seem therefore, to be legal.

About income taxes, Oregon has only income tax, no sales tax. It's my understanding that all income, from any source, needs to be declared. One should also keep track (as well as sales slips, invoices) of any business related expenses so they can be deducted from the total income.

I'm not sure about marketing such an esoteric business, except through the metaphysical stores, and various Pagan groups. There are quite a few of the latter here. Portland is a Pagan rich community.

If you're outside Portland, the above names of the stores won't be much help. But that's all I know about.

Well, that and Eugene, with its University, also has quite a few.

Lots of good luck.

Emma

Also, there's a quarterly Pagan publication, "Open Ways, which lists many of the groups state-wide, and carries ads for people with 'esoteric' services for sale. It's available at HWSS and New Renaissance.

Grizabella

Rose, you say "there has to be some connection or reason for it". I think you stated your reason for it quite clearly and the most important is that you want to be of help to others.

I prefer to work by donation. In doing that, I'm able to help anyone whether they can "afford" a reading or not. And I find that I'm probably much better blessed financially by Spirit by doing that than if I were to set a price and try to turn reading into big bucks. I'll always want to just freelance that way rather than make money my focus.

Bonnie

Tarot in Oregon

Indigo Rose:

It does sound as if you need to decide if you want to be a professional reader, or an occasional reader in venues such as Psychic Fairs, Metaphysical bookstores, etc. A professional reader does regard what they do as a profession, and charges accordingly.

The laws of any state are best addressed with that state. When I checked out moving to Eugene, OR, I wrote to their licensing bureau, and found out that I did not need to be licensed. I would get a license anyway, because there are other things that I want to do, and t hey can be umbrell'ed under one license. As for taxes - if you are making a significant income, I would work with a tax consultant to see what forms I needed to file, and what I needed to pay. This would be aplicable to both state and federal taxes.

I am a bit biased as far as certification goes, as I am currently on the board of the American Board For Tarot Certification. I do feel that certification has its place, but that it is also not for everybody. I don't believe that any state, at this time, requires certification for Tarot readers.

In your place, I would sit down and write out my vision for (a) where I want my Tarot studies and work to go, and (b) how I would want to set up my Tarot business, what I have to offer, and what I would expect from it.

There is a wonderful lady that is co-founder of the Portland Tarot Society. Her name is Leisa ReFalo, and I am sure that she would be of great help to you. She can be contacted through her site "www.tarotconnection.net".

Wishing you well on your Tarot journey, wherever it takes you!

Blessings,
Bonnie

Indigo Rose

Umbrae said:
If you hang out a shingle, or accept any credit cards, paypal, or checks - you'll need a business license in Oregon.

When I did a Body Mind Spirit fair there they included the 'business license' as part of the table fee.

But when I read on a cash basis, and took only money 'under the table', I didn't worry about that.

Stay under the radar and you're fine. Start making money - and you'll need that license, an accountant, and tax forms.

Yep all this talk of business licenses, accountants, and taxes makes me queasy. Money seems to complicate life more than anything else; truly a necessary evil. :( I think I'll stick to just either donations or free.

Red Emma said:
I'm not sure about marketing such an esoteric business, except through the metaphysical stores, and various Pagan groups. There are quite a few of the latter here. Portland is a Pagan rich community.

If you're outside Portland, the above names of the stores won't be much help. But that's all I know about.

Well, that and Eugene, with its University, also has quite a few.

Lots of good luck.

Thanks Red Emma for the information, and the encouragement.:) I live north of Eugene about an hour, and this community is still kind of a Fundie controlled area...but....I'm very excited about the growing diversity I'm seeing of late. It gives me hope. :)

Solitaire* said:
Rose, you say "there has to be some connection or reason for it". I think you stated your reason for it quite clearly and the most important is that you want to be of help to others.

I prefer to work by donation. In doing that, I'm able to help anyone whether they can "afford" a reading or not. And I find that I'm probably much better blessed financially by Spirit by doing that than if I were to set a price and try to turn reading into big bucks. I'll always want to just freelance that way rather than make money my focus.

Yeah Solitaire, I have to agree with you here. I toss ideas around in my head and wrestle with the whole thing; but in my heart I feel as you do. If I've been learning anything over my years on this planet, it's to follow my heart. Thanks for the clarity. :)

Bonnie said:
Indigo Rose:
It does sound as if you need to decide if you want to be a professional reader, or an occasional reader in venues such as Psychic Fairs, Metaphysical bookstores, etc. A professional reader does regard what they do as a profession, and charges accordingly.

Yes, this has been the big question mark for me. However, the feedback here has helped me clarify my thoughts.

Bonnie said:
I am a bit biased as far as certification goes, as I am currently on the board of the American Board For Tarot Certification. I do feel that certification has its place, but that it is also not for everybody. I don't believe that any state, at this time, requires certification for Tarot readers.

This whole certification thing is another area of question marks for me. I see the argument from both sides, so I don't really have a solid position on this one.

Bonnie said:
In your place, I would sit down and write out my vision for (a) where I want my Tarot studies and work to go, and (b) how I would want to set up my Tarot business, what I have to offer, and what I would expect from it.
Wishing you well on your Tarot journey, wherever it takes you!

Blessings,
Bonnie

I like your suggestion Bonnie, and I'm going to spend some time today writing down my vision. Thank you for your wisdom and blessings. :)

I have much to think about, but at least now I feel some clarity on what I don't want regarding being a reader.

Thanks to all of you for the input. :heart:

:love: indigo rose

Bonnie

Clarity

Indigo Rose:

I loved your statement about clarity! For myself, I often find that defining what I don't want in something sets me in the right direction for defining what I do want. Life works in rather strange ways sometimes. :)

Blessings,
Bonnie

Leisa

Reading in Oregon

As far as I know there are no laws regarding Tarot Readings in Oregon. Certification has no legal implication at all at this point.

I market myself by website, fliers, and a party directory. I used to read at a shop.

For rates, I'd say $50-$100 per hour is the range for professional Tarot Readings.

In Oregon, if your business name contains your real name you don't need a license. I list myself as an entertainer for tax purposes.

Cheers,
Leisa