Reading for Yourself

Mordraenen

Hello All,

I was just wondering, how do you all do when reading for yourselves? I've heard you get mixed results most of the time.

Mordraenen

Lysh

I read for myself, but I still find it hard to trust that I am seeing the connections clearly. The major aspect to reading for yourself is being able to disconnect emotionally. It is hard not to want to see what you want to see or look at the meanings of the cards as you want to see them and interpret them as such. So what I have been doing is practicing....I conduct shorter readings...usually two weeks in length, make my interpretations and then go back and journal what has transpired.
So I guess the ability to read for yourself is also your ability to disconnect emotionally as if you are reading for a stranger. And that can be hard to do, especially if it is a question that is close to the heart or already emotionally charged (like the most popular relationship questions!)
Lysh

celeste

If you could find a "tarotbuddy"to share your personal readings with, you should be able to get a more accurate take on those readings. We tend to see alot of negatives in our own readings. A fresh perspective from someone else can be very helpful. They can point out the things we may overlook or miss when reading for ourselves.

raeanne

Hi all,
When I was first learning to read for myself, I would write two different questions down on separate pieces of paper and then put each paper in a separate envelope. I would mix the envelopes up so I couldn't remember which question was in which envelope. Then I would take one envelope and do a reading for it without opening the envelope. I would write everything down. Then I would do the same thing for the other envelope. After I had done both readings I would open the envelopes and see how well I did. It was good practice. Since I didn't really know which question was which, I had to rely only on the cards.

Schehrazada

Great idea!

Hi everyone,

I think that Raeanne's idea about the envelopes system is excellent! I will put it in practice right today and see what happens.

To be honest, I'm usually extra positive when reading for myself and this is a big limitation of mine. Having a good tarot buddy as Celeste mentioned really helped me many times. Sometimes they can confirm or add to what you saw.

Best,

S.

Summersweet

I love raeanne's idea :)

I have real problems reading for myself, mainly because I don't listen to the cards or dont want to actually see what is literally screaming at me. There have been many times I've read back on my journal and been like hmmm why didn't I take on board that advice etc etc