Astrology & Myers Briggs

amyel

So was talking withb my career manager last week, and she told me she was certified in Myers Briggs Personality Assessments. And then, for some reason, we started to talk about astrology, and I mentioned a forum I am a member of (this one, of course)- and she wondered if there was anyone who had or knew of a study linking Myers Briggs to natal astrology.

Does anyone know?

AquarianGoddess

Hi Amyel,

Yes, I played around with that years ago and did find some correlation. The "type A" personality is always Aries; the sensitive type always Pisces or Cancer; the justice seekers always Libra. If you look at the entire chart , then their MB score, you can see how it fits.

AG

isthmus nekoi

I haven't read studies about this, but I think M-B and astrology can be linked. M-B is a variation on Jung's model of the psyche which consists of 4 functions (air/thinking, fire/intuition, earth/sensation and water/feeling), so there's a direct relationship right there.

I've found a *very strong* correlation b/w my birth chart and my M-B type. I always knew I was much more intuitive and thinking and surely enough, my chart is dominated by air and fire signs. I'm not as developed in terms of sensation, but it's not an area that causes significant trouble for me, so I have a sun & mercury in an earth sign. As for feeling, I almost never base my actions on emotion (which is different I think, than basing actions on gut instincts). I also often seem detached, however, when someone gets to know me very well, they will find me to be very intense and focused emotionally, and ah ha - I've got a singleton planet in Scorpio :p

Jung also conceived of the concept of introvert/extrovert. I'm not sure how this relates to a birth chart, but I've heard for example, if your chart is 'right handed' or 'left' that there is some relation there. Houses might have something to do w/it (the 1st 6 being self and the 2nd 6 being society) - but I've got all planets in the latter 6 houses save one, and I am definetly introverted and seeking answers w/i so I'm not so sure about that relationship.

As for the judging/perceiving, this is a M-B thing, so I'm not that familiar w/it!

jmd

It is my understanding that the person who organises the Chiron Centre in Melbourne (which runs Astrology courses), and who has a psychology background, gives the MBTI to his second-year students.

I do not know if he has made correlations between signs and types, or, for example, if the positioning of Mercury somewhat correlates. On the other hand it is my understanding that, as in my longer Tarot classes in which I also gave the MBTI, and except for a single exception (an ex-army religious minister who came out as an ESTP), no course participants have been ST.
Quite extra-ordinary!

When I tried to see if the Tarot participants had their Sun-sign somehow match MBTI descriptions, none came out clearly.

MattDouglas

I studied quite a bit of Myers-Briggs (and Enneagram, which I like even better), and ideally there are some correlations. Liz Greene directly relates: fire-intuition, earth-sensation, air-thinking, and water-feeeling. I just so happen to be predominately fire and water, and I'm an INFP, though I do havesome air and eath to balance. I've given the Keirsey Tempermant Sorter to about 80 people I know, and more often than not it does correlate to their ntal chart, but not always.

As for E/I, I again like Liz Greene's theory that there is an extraverted and inyroverted version of each sign. Some try to say that some sign have a tendency to be extraverted or introverted, but I think that comes from a skewed version of those definitions. For example, many people assume introversion to mean shyness, when that is not the case. Introverts are merely tired out from small talk, whereas extrzverts don't mind it, but both Es and Is can be afraid to initiate a conversation. This is jst one example of the differences between Es and Is, I'm not trying to define them.

Also keep in mind the turntype. This is someone who may be naturally inclined to be a particular type, but had to develop only their inferior functions due to childhood upbringing in order to survive (usually psychologically, sometimes physically).

Hope that helps!
Matt