Getting frustrated... still can't get too deep!

SarahRose

I have a general tarot problem of not being able to dig deep enough for big insights or actual real-life application. It always seems so... general. So much like it can apply to anything or I'm just repeating the question in answer form, etc. Do you know what I mean? I just feel like I should be beyond that already.

The other day I was in a situation at a party where I was asked to read for someone who is a friend, but a very "low level" one. And I didn't know the situation or people involved in the situation/question, but she said it was accurate.

And this makes me beg the question I've been begging lately - if something is accurate, then what are we doing the reading for? Don't they already know the information given if they can judge its accuracy?

Does anyone know what I mean?

zannamarie

SarahRose said:
And this makes me beg the question I've been begging lately - if something is accurate, then what are we doing the reading for? Don't they already know the information given if they can judge its accuracy?

Does anyone know what I mean?
Consciously knowing something and subconsciously knowing something are two different things. So sometimes people don't realize what they know.

Or they don't want to admit to themselves that what they know is true so they look for someone else to confirm what they know or what they don't want to admit to themselves.

Or you present them with a truth they know is accurate but never thought of in terms of the question they ask. So it presents a different take on the situation that gives them a new way of looking at their issue.

Does that help?

SarahRose

I suppose I think of it like that too, but it just seems too... "easy" sometimes. "Too good to be true," so to speak, ya know?

inanna_tarot

too good to be true?

I find the hardest thing to do sometimes is when you have a client that is no way on EARTH dealing with the truth of a situation, usually because you've hit a nerve and they throw a wobbly at you. I had this at a reading party once and thankfully a few days later I had an apology. But it can really shake your reading skills when the truth is there and they wont accept it.

Sometimes people see tarot readings as another message from the universe, so even though they might be thinking of something, getting confirmation in a reading is the icing on the cake from them to do something with that message.

Perhaps you are trying to hard to be deep? To plunge into peoples lives and psyches in a reading when being concise and brief gives people a chance to work it out for themselves?

The crowned one

SarahRose said:
I suppose I think of it like that too, but it just seems too... "easy" sometimes. "Too good to be true," so to speak, ya know?

Yes this is true. A general reading is a cakewalk, I feel, as these cards have iconic images. All we know and feel is in 22 cards more or less, and the left over in 56 more. That makes generalizations quite easy. It is the details that separate a good reader from an average. Try going for facts and details over generalities and you really start to get a handle on what it is about. It takes time and mistakes for most of us, but some are naturals. The cards are a potent but simple tool. Anyone can use a pen to write with, but some create with it, the same tool but the end result can vary from a scribble to a historical work of art....the cards are a bit like that I think. Using them is easy, mastering them takes skill and much more..

They do work best as a guide for self-discovery and growth according to most of the latest new age stuff. I think that can be under-utilizing the cards.

SarahRose

The crowned one said:
Try going for facts and details over generalities and you really start to get a handle on what it is about.

That's just it - I can't seem to grasp how. At all.

Raya

SarahRose said:
I have a general tarot problem of not being able to dig deep enough for big insights or actual real-life application. It always seems so... general. So much like it can apply to anything or I'm just repeating the question in answer form, etc. Do you know what I mean? I just feel like I should be beyond that already.

I know what you mean. I had (and still have, sometimes) the same problem. What I found was that for me, I was really afraid of going too deep. I was afraid of being wrong. So I started practicing giving detailed readings with good friends. I warned them, "Look. I need to start taking some leaps of faith and pull out some specifics from the cards. But I've never really done that much before, so I might be waaaaayyy off." Then I just tried to give specifics. Anything that came to my mind. At first I wasn't confident, but I asked myself "Why is this going to happen? How are the people feeling? What's most important to them?" It was hard and didn't work well, but little by little I've gotten better, and recently I've even been eerily on target in a few readings.

So what I guess I'm saying is trust that what you think is right, and just make a leap of faith. If you're with good friends, then they won't mind being guinea pigs, and you will get better, I promise!

Sulis

Hi SarahRose,

I know exactly what you mean.
How long have you been reading?

Unfortunately I think that depth and understanding just comes with time and practice. It's easy to learn how to 'read' but not so easy to really learn how to read.
I'm often amazed at how many folks tell me that they can read tarot, usually after they ask what I do and I tell them I make bags for tarot cards and I'm a reader... Loads of people say 'oh I can read tarot'....
A couple of them have read for me and yes, they can read tarot but they aren't fluent in Tarot, there is no depth.

I'm not saying that you're at that stage but I am saying that to read well, it often takes a long time and a lot of readings, it's not something that is learned quickly.
It took me YEARS before I felt like I was actually 'getting it' and was reading well.

Just keep at it and it will come but it will take time..

frelkins

SarahRose said:
That's just it - I can't seem to grasp how. At all.

hey, sarahrose: just really look at the cards. for example in the newbie circle, i read for a nice ozzie lady and got the mantegna venus card -- this shows venus with her son, cupid.

and indeed this lady is a single mother with boy.

balenciaga

Trust Yourself

SarahRose,

Do not let the querent lead you so hard. They might be pulling you towards an interpretation that they want instead allowing you to concentrate on what you see and feel in the cards.
Try to ignore the querent (!) and zone out into your own "reading space". It is the trust you have in your own intuition that makes you a good and better reader.