Postcard Oracle

room

I finally received my package of 200 different postcards from Pomegranate that I am planning to use as an oracle. I've wanted these for two years but the cost of shipping to Canada put me off ($14.40 USD!!!) I finally just decided that at a total cost of $45 USD they were worth it, and this broke down to 22.5 cents USD per card or 24 cents CAD. These are beautiful art cards on good card stock.

I received one extra card--fortunately for me a favourite type of architectural painting--love this stuff. This is by Alexander Jackson Davis of his house "Wildmont Lodge" in Eagle Rock New Jersey, and the picture is owned by the Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. I will buy a tabletop frame for it.

I also received a free bookmark featuring American artist Laura Wheeler Waring on heavy cardstock.

The pile on the left are photographs, mostly in black and white with a few colour photochromes. The rest are bromide prints, gum platinum, platinum prints, chloro bromide prints, carbon prints, platinotypes, albumen prints--a whole array of early photographic techniques. Some stills from silent movies are included and portraits of celebrity actors, artists, jazz musicians, composers, and writers. Some of the prints are by Eduard Steichen (later known as Edward), Alfred Stieglitz, Fred Holland Day, Gertrude Käsabier, and even Lewis Carroll--all noted and respected early photographers.

Having recently read large biographies of both Lewis Carroll and Edward Steichen, I found this fascinating. The woman on the top of my photographic pile is Kady Brownwell, a Civil War soldier who was connected to the Fifth Rhode Island Infantry and the "Heroine of Newbern." Interesting stuff--never heard of her but hopefully will read of her in the huge history of the Civil War I am currently reading.

The art cards are in colour and feature Art Nouveau stuff, illustrations, modern art, Impressionists, posters, even some Kliban cats and some paintings by Susan Seddon Boulet.

Now, I have to consider how to use it. Maybe split it into two oracles or just try to manage with all 200 cards? If I get up the courage, I might offer readings with these--just have to think about technique for a bit.

AJ

I'll buy a ticket to see these readings!

room

AJ said:
I'll buy a ticket to see these readings!

You can be my guinea pig if you want. You know me, I've always got 549.7 things on-the-go, but I'd like to have a whack at this.

For me, the artist, and the subject/technique might matter too. I had originally thought to do these straight by intuition, but upon seeing them, I might like to incorporate both things, depending how I see it. I always read a story into pictures, but I like my research and rationality too, that's part of my dual approach to cards in general.

If you are game I will start a thread in the Oracle Readings forum.

blue_fusion

good idea. how bout just reading them like reading the pictures in tarot? letting your mind wander free over the details and just say whatever first comes to mind. :) i like the fact that you've also done some background research on the images. maybe these can show up subconsciously while reading, or you can consciously utilize them as parts of the card's interpretation.

(and: 200 postcards?! wow. that's one big oracle deck)

room

blue_fusion said:
good idea. how bout just reading them like reading the pictures in tarot? letting your mind wander free over the details and just say whatever first comes to mind.

Yeah, I'm going to do that first and then augment it with extra information if I sense I need it. I am doing a 4-card spread with spatial relationships between cards but no assigned meaning to positions.

I think one of the reasons I don't often do readings for people here is that we all get hung up on archetypal vibes. If I pull the 6 of Cups and go with my intuitive response, someone might say, "But the 6 of Cups means. . . "

So I am hoping by using something totally different that I can get away from that expectation.

Here is the thread where I offer 3 readings with this deck:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=82213

AJ

room said:
I think one of the reasons I don't often do readings for people here is that we all get hung up on archetypal vibes. If I pull the 6 of Cups and go with my intuitive response, someone might say, "But the 6 of Cups means. . . "

Here is the thread where I offer 3 readings with this deck:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=82213

I know what you mean, I turned off the leave a message utility on my blog because I didn't want to hear that. Funny how we hear so often to leave the keywords behind and then when we do folks fall to the ground expecting lightning to strike us dead.

I'd love a rain check on the reading offer, I can't think of anything to ask that I don't know the answer to already whether I want to see it or not...

room

AJ said:
I'd love a rain check on the reading offer

Okay no problem AJ. I've got 3 people lined up so we'll see how I get along with that.

People reply to your blog to take issue with meanings? See, this is why I'm afraid to post readings. I did do a reading in one thread for a contest and I've been afraid to do a reading since!

Since then, I'm just going with my own stories instead of what something's supposed to mean.

BodhiSeed

Room,
You've got some great pictures there to use for an oracle! Have fun (and ignore the naysayers :D)

Bodhran

moderndayruth

Room,
these are wonderfull pictures! I made an oracle from pictures too, i love it and it prooved really accurate in AT exchanges :)
I used 50 pictures first, but i'll include more :)
I am sure you'll enjoy your new oracle really a lot and... i hope to catch the next offer for the reading with it :)
Love,
mdr xx

MeeWah

Room: Love postcards, & these are gorgeous! What a wealth of inspiration to work with. & what a genius of an idea!

Hope to catch your next Postcard Oracle readings.