strange venue for psychic fayre

shadowdancer

I live in a suburb in Lincolnshire UK. Nice place, only a few shops, little post office etc.
We have two fish and chip shops, one of which also has a tiny restaurant where you can eat in. (As long as it is fish or sausage and chips though! :) )

They are holding a psychic fayre in the restaurant next month £15 a ticket which includes your 3 course meal and a reading with one of the psychics.

I think they have 3 or 4 booked for the evening but I always get put off by the claims on the adverts for these things.
"internationally known"
"appeared on radio or TV or both"
"7th generation clairvoyant"

you know the sort of thing. This advert followed the same format. Why is it I have a problem when I see this sort of advertising? For some reason it is a real switch off for me, and although I may well not have gone to the event anyway, I just really want to give it a miss now.

I have 3 relatives who live in US and one who lives in Australia. Can I put internationally known on my literature?

Sorry if this is pedantic. I have no idea why it gets my defences up, and wondered if anyone else feels similar with these claims.

Davina

Mellifluous

lol Yeah, plus a lot of people who talk themselves up are just plain lying. In any situation, not just this psychic type of thing... Really makes it unduly stressful for people just starting out and unwilling to lie, too.

I find that kind of stuff funny and irrelevant, personally - especially when it's someone no one's ever heard of... lol

Little Hare

Hi Davina,

heheehe it grates me to, we have a local clairvoyant who is quote"psychic to the stars" it took me three years to acutally go and see her (she didn't charge that much) and is a reverand... and she was spot on in everything she said, but her energy grates me! i used to come out of the readings (i've had two ) so depressed! so now i won't go and see her...

The thing is i find that advertising so irratating! But i guess it proves in our society (and by this i mean a white western dominated one) that people are attracted at some level to that sort of advertising

Great topic

Disa

I see what you mean. It sort of reminds me of a circus or carnival show designed to wow the audience and appeal to the masses. "See the three headed boy" and the "Bearded Lady". That type of thing.

Astraea Aurora

I'm feeling with you, I don't like this sort of advertising either. It isn't not only lying to possible querants but also to "co-workers". I think those people are trying to get attention, they try to prove that they're better than the rest of us simply by saying "Look, you can trust me. I'm 7th generation clairvoyant, I have been handed down the business by my mom / grandmom / XYZ. I'm way better than the rest cause my knowledge is older and therefore better." These people are just lying and they have no feelings of guilt or shame to do so. I could imagine them to think a querant wants such a reader.

BUT ... I think, a querant deserves a reader who is 100 % honest and authentic, not only in his service but also as person. The whole package has to be honest. Sure, a querant wants an accurate reader but honesty is important. You don't want a friend who is succesfully and accurately telling you the weather forecast to be gossiping behind your back about your marital problems, do you? :D

And if those readers can hold what they are advertising has to be proven.

starchild

tarot and packaging. it annoys me sometimes also. i went to a pychic fair last week and one tarot reader there had a huge board up saying.

international tarot reader.
crystal ball gazer
rune stone reader
crystal healer
rieki master
spiritual healer
astroleger
spell caster
medium
numberolagist
dream interpretater

pychic to the stars..
rituals made on demand.
angel expert.

this was so off putting to me that i didnt have a reading from anyone there in the end. and she was so young she must have studied like crazy to learn all that.
im 30. ive been a medium all my life. as ive always seen dead peaple but ive been studying the tarot since i was 10 and the normal playing cards previous to that. i have had very little spare time in my life to study anything else. and im still learning the tarot. its a never ending path of learning.

what came to mind after reading her large board was. "to much knowlage is dangarous"

(i was also left wondering what an angel expert is? )

HearthCricket

I am right with you. When people dress themselves up with ridiculous titles I just completely avoid them. It is fake, phoney and downright tacky! Who cares how many generations of tarot readers you have in your family? The question is....are YOU any good at it? Just because Granny might have had a knack for it, doesn't mean you do! As for the Stars, the Angels, the Jack of all Trade, Master of None....well, why bother? I would rather pull out my own deck and read for myself!

"Tarot Reader". Keep it simple, keep it honest. Those are the people I will pay to see. If they have other qualifications or assets, then they will shine through without the advertising. If they play on attributes they don't have, they simply look foolish and destroy themselves and the good name of those who are truly psychic.

ZenMusic

I often to go concerts where performers, or conductors or ensembles have been advertized as "world renowned" , "just back from a Royal Performance", and "World Premiere".. even "the greatest xxxx of our time"

they always perform wonderfully, well worth it, and it never occurs to me during the performance, or reduces my total involement in their performance.... I don't think they are inhibited in any way by the advertising before them...

and music is the most spiritual of all human activities to me.. ... the fact that they make a living performing is not even an issue for me to think about.. some musical events are the best memories of my life..

last week. I went to a book signing... "Number One Best Seller on the New York Times.." etc.... etc...

so? for a psychic reading... most psychics are not real, and most tarot reading I've seen (and I've documented hundreds) are worthless... so I'd be inclined to appreciate any information about the psychic/reader ... but have to evaluate each individually

tabbycat

Woo! Tarot and a greasy fish supper! Who could resist that? I may go!
Seriously, do they really have room to run an event like that in that fish & chip shop?
Criticism aside, if it's being run by the guy from the crystal shop, it might be okay. He always struck me as being a very genuine person.

shadowdancer

re the fish place....

no pun intended :D

It is at the Boundary fish and chip shop. (about 50 yards from Steve's shop).

Not sure if he has any involvement in it. the restaurant part is quite small - cafe sized but who knows eh!

I agree about Steve - he is a great guy. When I teach on my crystal healing course I always point my students to his shop for their stock. The only things I look to supply are smallish quartz points and smokey wands. Otherwise he is the man to see.

Heck if you go let me know what you think...lol. I am giving it a miss because may well be away on holiday.