Storing opals

SilverCloudedWolf

Hi all.

I have a few opals and I know they lose water and crack so I've got them in a glass jar, with wet cotton wool on the bottom, the opals on top of that then another wet cotton wool on top of them (an opal sandwich :)). I've got the jar in a dark place away from heat and light, but I was wondering how much water I should put in? Is what I've done enough or should they be submerged?

Also, is this entirely preventative or can it heal a few surface cracks on the andean opal which were there when I got it? I read in a book that it was possible, but is it likely to happen?

Thanks in advance,
Silver

celticnoodle

i've never heard of keeping them in water, however, i have heard it is a good idea to rub oil on the stone. i have opal as my birthstone, and also use to work with a jeweler for a short time. i've always been told rubbing plain baby oil on the stone is good for it, and yes, it is a good idea to keep it out of the heat as much as possible. i've had my opals for years and occasionally rub baby oil onto them. they in turn remain beautiful to behold and continue to shine and display their wonderful colors to me! I love opals!

Briar Rose

Olive oil is great for opals. Just rub it into the stone, you only use a dab.

I wouldn't keep any stones in a jar.

If you don't have a jewelry box for it, how about a soft cloth in your dresser?

wizzle

Your stone should most definetly not be submerged in water. Just keep your cotton wool barely moist. All that is needed is a moist atmosphere. Even your "sandwich" might be overkill.

celticnoodle

HeavensVault said:
Olive oil is great for opals. Just rub it into the stone, you only use a dab.

I wouldn't keep any stones in a jar.

If you don't have a jewelry box for it, how about a soft cloth in your dresser?

yes, i recall the jeweler saying olive oil is also great for this stone. you only dab a small amount of it or the baby oil onto it and rub it in gently. i do store my opals in a seperate drawer in my jewelry stand---and it's lined with nice felt. I also keep my pearls seperated from the other jewelry too.

HearthCricket

Depending on the size of your opals, you might be able to store them in a small leather zipbox for earrings, where there are little sections, nicely cushioned, but prevent the stones from hitting anything hard and cracking. The idea of constantly being wet does not sound good to me. Also the fairly airtight container for earrings would prevent them from over drying.

Briar Rose

They say that the fire in an Opal is enhanced by it's wearer.

What predominate colors are in your Opal?

Edited to add,

FloraCove, what a great web site. I can't wait to read through it. Thank you for sharing.

floracove

Thanks HeavensVault, it is not my site, I wish!
I just worked my butt off doing the research and writing all the articles, so far I haven't even been paid for my work.
But, I am proud of the articles. :D

PS, I want a fire opal sooooo bad, and have since the first I heard of them, however, I do have a fire opal for my desktop picture. ;)

edit*
BTW, the typos on those pages are not mine, my copies are typo free, those onsite were added by the site owner.

gregory

When I was given opals (it's my birthstone too) I was told that the BEST way to keep them in good condition was to wear them as much as possible.I am guessing that that is because they pick up the natural oils from your skin, so olive oil sounds like a good idea....