Can you do this??

Heavensent

Okay, so I know there are technically no "rules" to Tarot, I was wondering something. Last night I bought the Golden Tarot by Kat Black and did my first spread asking a simple question of what can I expect in the next few days. I get my answer, but when I woke up this morning, having left the cards I layed out the night before, I shuffled the deck again and asked the same question to continue which clarified a little more. So my question is, can I do this? Is this 'legal' in some sense? I know the Tarot police isn't going to arrest me :laugh: (what would they look like by the way?) but I just wanted to know. Thanks in advance for all of your replies:)!

Pao

are you asking about asking the same question twice on a different day? from what i was told here we should stay away from that bad habit which is harddddd for me lol but Im getting used to it. the answer i get is the answer i get whether i like it or not. but sometimes i dont understand the answer and in those times I ask what that card is trying to tell me, which doesn't help me much either.

is that what you're asking? sorry Im a bit out of whack the last few days lol :D

Heavensent

Not quite Pao. I wasn't asking again to get a different answer, but to expand on it. Just a continuation of sorts.

glaive

I don't see this as being different from drawing clarification cards. If you have the same concern two days in a row, or more, and focus successive readings on it, you will start to see the issue from different angles. It might help to throw different decks and spreads on the same issue for contrasting viewpoints.

Pao

hmm...I've done that before, tho I dont know either if its "legal" per se. I know that I usually read at night since there's no noise (minus the neighbors screaming) but sometimes i get tired so I wake up in the morning and "finish" up. i guess its ok as long as we dont keep repeating the same question over and over....hm...food for thought! :D

I did that once tho and didn't understand the answer too well so i tried it the next night and 9 cards jumped out that answered that question and every other one i could have on the subject lol kinda like telling me "this is the answer we've been trying so desperately to share and just in case you have this other question to follow here it is. plz dont bug us anymore! go to sleep!"
lol

i would think you can expand on it as long as its not repetitive and the same thing over and over.

Moonchild1721

I don't think there is anything wrong with continuing a reading one day to the next. I think in some cases it would make the reading more productive. If you do the first one at night, right before bed, and then have the whole night to sleep on the results and do the second one when you wake up your mind will have had the chance to really absorb the results from the first reading. You don't have to ask the same question either. Maybe ask questions about different aspects of the same situation.
Samantha

Baroli

When you read a book and put it down and the next day take it up, aren't you doing the same thing with the spread you did the day before? I have done that several times. Sometimes you just need 24 hours or whatever for a little more clarification. Nothing in the rules (what rules???) that says you can't. Do what cha feel is right for you.

Baroli

gregory

I think if it feels right, go for it. The kind of person who keeps drawing and drawing in the hope that they will eventually get the answer they want knows they are doing this really, and knows they are being silly and the cards will get silly too. You aren't doing that; you felt a sudden need for clarification. That's different.

Now if you find you feel that way EVERY morning - maybe it's time to draw in the morning and forget about bedtime draws, maybe ? A matter of the timing that works best for you (I get crap results first thing....!)

Schehrazada

Hi Heavensent!

I agree with all the comments that were posted here. I read once in a book that it is actually a very useful methodology for many readers to ask the same question over and over again. It makes you think about the situation and it tends to aid to your personal development, as well as it can help you improve your reading skills by looking at the same topic from different angles and at different times, even if you get the same cards.

If you also keep a journal on the different readings, with the names of the cards, you can go back and look at the spread many months down the road. This can show you how your perspective changed, or not. I did this a couple of times and I couldn't believe how many more meanings I was acquiring from the same cards along time.

Best,

S.

Alta

Not one of my personal practices, but on thinking about it, it seems like a good idea. You laid out a line of cards, and slept on them. Then, having considered them, drew some clarifying cards. Probably deepened the reading I would think.

I am an advocate of taking time over readings, especially ones of real personal significance. If the situation was confused enough to cause you to do a reading on it, often (not always) it will take some time and thought to peel back the meaning.