Younger Readers Unite!

Anathematically

Now, I don't want this to be a shot at anyone's age -- age is something I think is in need of respect that has been lacking these days -- but one thing that I've noticed is that a lot of the people on these forums tend to be older, 30+ years old.

I was wondering about the younger crowd of readers. No matter what your opinion of age is, I think that it's safe to say that someone who is 18 or 19 is going to have a much different view of the cards and what they say than someone who is 35 or 40.

Myself, I just last week turned 23, and I've been reading for a few years now. My perceptions of the cards have most definitely changed over that time.

So then, how about it, young adults? :D

PS: I may have to start a Male Readers Unite! thread next. ;D

coeur

I have been studying tarot for 7 years now and I am 20 this year. I think one of the problems with tarot reading as a younger person was not wanting to understand the message. I am a very rebellious person who has issues following directions--divine or human--and I tended to switch back into the "I am reading the cards wrong" mode whenever I get a bad reading. Yet, time has allowed to be better accept the bad along with the good; maturity has helped me accept and understand the benefit of advice. In addition, personal security, which can be lacking as an adolescent, helps in the process of accepting what the cards have to say.

Heavensent

Wow, I have now crossed over into the older crowd :bugeyed:. Damn Mercury Retro:mad: lol..... 30 is older now **Heavensent just snickers, shakes her head and continue shuffling cards**

Anathematically

I don't think anyone, regardless of age, wants to hear bad things, but I think you're on to something with that, with being more open to accepting the bad as well as the good. Or at least understand that wherever there is good, there is also bad.

If I were to peg one "shortcoming" about reading cards at a young age, it would be in that, a 14 or 15 year old who picks up a deck of tarot cards, if they haven't been much exposed to tarot outside of Miss Cleo and what they see on TV/video games/novels/movies/etc, they're probably going to lay cards and expect a concrete, "This is the way it is" kind of answer.

Sinduction

Heavensent said:
Wow, I have now crossed over into the older crowd :bugeyed:. Damn Mercury Retro:mad: lol..... 30 is older now **Heavensent just snickers, shakes her head and continue shuffling cards**
You read my mind! I'm gonna go pick me out a coffin!

I'm actually quite interested in seeing where this thread goes.

Anathematically

Heavensent said:

10 years is a long time, especially when you're in your late teens/early 20's. I don't think that it would necessarily be prudent to flippantly dismiss the kind of experience, paradigm changes and insights that occurs during that time period.

Sure, in the grand scheme of things, 30 years isn't that old -- if you live to be 70 or 80, you're not even halfway there yet -- but it's important to realize how much happens in that time span between 20 and 30.

I'd be willing to say that between the ages of 18 and 25 you go through more personal societal, political, religious, spiritual and lifestyle changes than you ever will in your life.

coeur

Anathematically said:
I don't think anyone, regardless of age, wants to hear bad things, but I think you're on to something with that, with being more open to accepting the bad as well as the good. Or at least understand that wherever there is good, there is also bad.

If I were to peg one "shortcoming" about reading cards at a young age, it would be in that, a 14 or 15 year old who picks up a deck of tarot cards, if they haven't been much exposed to tarot outside of Miss Cleo and what they see on TV/video games/novels/movies/etc, they're probably going to lay cards and expect a concrete, "This is the way it is" kind of answer.

I had already been studying the occult when I picked up my first tarot deck, so my exposure to esoteric thinking and alternative philosophy exceeded the general understanding of the mystical. I loved reading myths as a child and I was very interested in areas of magic, witchcraft, and neo-pagan religion. Given that interest, I was never under the impression of "this is it"--on the contrary, I was under the impression that all things could be changed through the course of intervention.

I would hesitate now to say that all things can be changed at any given moment, but I will still say I have learned timing is very important in how things play out. If you have the foresight to understand when you can change things, it is possible to avoid really large explosions of your own making. Let's say the tarot has taught me a lot about strategy and tact haha.

Pao

wow Im part of the old folks home too! IM 26 :laugh: oh hell lets face it Ive been using a cane since I was 19! :p

Little Baron

Anathematically said:
I'd be willing to say that between the ages of 18 and 25 you go through more personal societal, political, religious, spiritual and lifestyle changes than you ever will in your life.

Just personally, I would say I disagree. I don't think I had enough life experience to take any of those things on fully in that age bracket. I did most of my real searching, maturing and changing between 25 and 35. And I am still changing.

LB

6 Haunted Days

Anathematically said:
10 years is a long time, especially when you're in your late teens/early 20's. I don't think that it would necessarily be prudent to flippantly dismiss the kind of experience, paradigm changes and insights that occurs during that time period.

Sure, in the grand scheme of things, 30 years isn't that old -- if you live to be 70 or 80, you're not even halfway there yet -- but it's important to realize how much happens in that time span between 20 and 30.

I am pretty sure she was referring to those major preception and paradigm shifts that occur in your late 20's when she referred to the Mercury Retrograde. As far as changes, oh yea I changed a lot from 20-25. But one changes even more in your late 20's. I was shocked.