Missing....

wumpkie

*Wail* *Whimper* I've lost my diamond out of my engagement ring. :(

Obviously it's the sentimental value that has hurt me more (as it was made for me) But I was wondering that I might be able to put a stone in of my choice, maybe a stone that I was drawn to.

I loved the diamond but obviously it wasn't meant to be, that and it was pressure set.

Do any of your guys know where I can buy round facetted stones from?

Thanks

Blackbird

Hi wumpkie
sorry to hear about your diamond, but your in luck! as iam a jeweller by trade,
and for gems you can get them from manchester minerals,
i know a few others but they are trade only, you could also try good old ebay! ive seen a few on there,
You will need to get someone to set the stone in the ring for you, watch out for high street jewellers riping you off, get prices from a few first,
hope thats helped,

Grizabella

Fire Mountain sells faceted stones of all kinds and sizes.

http://firemountaingems.com

I've dealt with them a lot and they're good to deal with. Really reputable and dependable.

Scroll down to the section section on the left of the page and you'll see the category of faceted gems. You can also do a search to find what you want.

raeanne

Hi Wumpkie,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your diamond. Just out of curiosity, have you tried to use a pendulum to find the missing stone? Just because it fell out doesn't mean you weren't meant to have it.

wumpkie

Thank you guys for replying, alijay thank you for the information i was planning on going to an independant company, rather than your typical 'high street vendours' but I didn't think to look on ebay *slaps forehead*

Solitaire, thank you for the link, I have had a brief look. I've seen some nice gems already *dribble*

http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWGEMFACPINKTOURMALINE

Though it was a diamond, the ring was orginally a copy of another ring (that he found on the London underground) that had a cheap plastic pink stone/glass in the middle but he absoultly loved the style and had it made into platinum. He always wanted to have a pink stone made into it for me. So the link above may well be the replacement. Reading into the stone I think it may well mean alot more to me than the diamond. Don't get me wrong....I LOVE diamonds.....I just think that maybe having a pink stone could be the start of something new.

Raeanne, I did think of doing that but I couldn't see straight to even consider getting my pendulum out. I would love to think was in the house but I had only just stepped in the door, when I had noticed it was missing. If I back track myself I was in my stepdads car, work, town, work, town, my s/o work place, the takeaway, back to his workplace, bus, and then walking home. Knowing me I have probably eaten it. But I might look into it to give me an idea in the area I might have lost it.

Thank you x

Ruby7

Hi Wumpkie,

Sorry this happened to you. I am a jeweller also, in Canada, so don't know what jewellery shops are like in England. I would recommend that you find a good independent jeweller (preferably someone you know can recommend a good local jeweller). It is also best if you buy the stone from the jeweller who is setting it. Why? Well to make sure that it is exactly the right size and cut for the setting. If they order a stone and it doesn't fit then they will get you another one that does. The diameter and depth of the stone have to work with the setting and only the gemsetter can really tell what will work. Setting can be a tricky process so it is better if they have the best fit possible. It is also possible that you might find by yourself a stone that fits perfectly but you also might not.

Don't mean to make it more complicated but just something to consider. Pink tourmaline is a lovely stone that wears well. Other pink stones that stand up to a lot of wear: pink spinel, pink sapphire, pink topaz.

How long have you had your ring and was your setting not guaranteed by the jeweller who made it?

All the best,
Ruby7

floracove

You do know that is considered lucky for an engagement ring to bear the wearer's birthstone...

...just a thought...

wumpkie

Hey Ruby7, I've had the ring approx 3 years but it has happened once before, luckly that time I found it. However we are going to speak to the people who made it. My ring is also insured so that isn't so bad, but like I said it is the setimental vaule that means more. We are also going to ask the size of stone that will fit into the gap before we buy anything.

At the moment I'm wearing my Nans engagement ring (she died late last year) and I have to admit I'm growing rather fond of it. :D It fits perfectly on my finger. It's bizarre as my mother, who has smaller fingers than me can not get it on at all, yet when I was in despair yesterday and she gave it to me to try on as a temp replacement, it fitted like a glove.

wumpkie

floracove, I was born on the 23rd May that's emerald isn't it? :)

Briar Rose

I am so sorry you lost your diamond.

You ought to put an ad in the lost and found newspaper where you live. I know I would return something I found, no matter what it was.