PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Lammas / Lughansad Spread

Astraea Aurora
01-08-2007, 20:05
Hi folks,

you know today is Lammas, also called Lughnasad. It's the first (of three) harvest holidays - the other two being Mabon and Samhain. In order to celebrate the day I'm in search of a nice, little spread - something around the beginning of the harvest, the end of the growing season, the soon-to-be end of the summer. (Not so much on autumn and the coming of winter as this feels more Mabon-like to me.)

I haven't found anything in the Spread Index. The spread in Christine Jette's book 'Tarot for all seasons' doesn't feel right to me as it focuses on career-money-health-etc. The spread in Jeanne Ruland's book is too long for me, plus I don't like it.

So, does anyone have a good idea for a Lammas spread?

Many thanks in advance, Astraea Aurora :grin:

Yurikome
01-08-2007, 21:24
Can't say I've seen any, but I'm dying to see the replies to this one :) I might devise one when I get home from work, have to take a look at my notes. There'll definitely be something about "what's ready for reaping in your life" and "what important aspect of your current situation will be weakening" :)

Yurikome
02-08-2007, 04:33
Ok, writing from home. As usual - never say "definitely" or "I know for sure" about anything. I focused on the traditional foods for this one, and you could have something like this:

____________4__
________3______
_____2_________
_1_____________

Where:
1. Grains - what you've sown, what you've given of yourself this year
2. Bread - what you've made, what you've achieved from what you were given
3. Apples - what's ripe and ready for you, an upcoming feast
4. Berries - luck's little surprises and helpful tips for your future journey

:)

Azarial
02-08-2007, 05:28
Thank you for posting this. I am looking forward to giving it a try.

tarot4fun
02-08-2007, 08:19
I'm going to try this spread too.
Thanks Yurikome!

Suz :heart:

lunakasha
02-08-2007, 09:33
It is funny that you should ask....:D

I just received in the mail, today, a copy of Christine Jette's Tarot for All Seasons, in which she explores various rituals and offers spreads for all the sabats throughout the year.

And I just used her spread, called Harvest Home, to offer some Lammas readings on the exchange board.

*Again, this is NOT my spread, it was created by Christine Jette:

(a 7-card spread that circles around, with card number 1 at the bottom, card 2 in the middle, and card 3 at the top....cards 4 through 7 run clockwise in a circle around #2.

Position 1: Grounding (represents querent)

Position 2: Career, Attitudes about Work

Position 3: Finances, Attitudes about Money

Position 4: Connections and Sharing (love, relationships)

Position 5: Health and Healing (self-care, spirituality)

Position 6: First Harvest (summary of present situation)

Position 7: Fruition (outcome)

I think that this spread works best for general, non-specific readings, to provide an overview of all aspects of the querent's life. I just used it in a reading with a specific question, and it was a little tricky, but still loved it!

:) Luna

tarot4fun
02-08-2007, 12:37
...I just received in the mail, today, a copy of Christine Jette's Tarot for All Seasons, in which she explores various rituals and offers spreads for all the sabats throughout the year.I really like this book and have enjoyed using the seasonal spreads as well as the lunar cycle spreads. :D

Suz :heart:

yaraluna
03-08-2007, 08:35
Ok, writing from home. As usual - never say "definitely" or "I know for sure" about anything. I focused on the traditional foods for this one, and you could have something like this:

____________4__
________3______
_____2_________
_1_____________

Where:

I was just looking for something like this! thank you! I am starting to try out some spreads for certain occassions.

HAPPY Lughnasad/LAMMAS!!!!!
:love: :party:

Astraea Aurora
03-08-2007, 21:23

____________4__
________3______
_____2_________
_1_____________

Where:

Hi Yurikome,

I really like your spread. I has some similarities to the one I came up with. Thank you, I've already saved it.

Many Lammas blessings, Astraea Aurora :grin:

Astraea Aurora
03-08-2007, 21:25
Hi lunakasha,

thank you for Christine Jette's spread. As I said in my initial post I considered using it but then I didn't like it. For me it was more in line of a general spread, covering career, health, love, friendship etc. But thanks anyway.

Many Lammas blessings, Astraea Aurora :grin:

Astraea Aurora
03-08-2007, 22:06
Well folks, you might have guessed it - I came up with a Lammas spread on my own. But thanks anyway to everybody who gave a little bit of his time to answer my question.

Here it is:

The first corn by Astraea Aurora

The layout is supposed to form a circle. The circle represents mutiple things: a whreathed garland; a loaf of bread; the turn of the seasons throughout the year (*1); the four points of the compass, the four elements in nature and the four Tarot suits (*1); the eight Wiccan holidays; one day from sunrise to sunset to the next sunrise; two semicircles, divided into outward focus and inward focus (*2).

The positions are:
1. The corn. What is now fully grown? What is now on its climax?
2. The scythe. What has to be reaped now? What has to die now?
3. The freshly-baked bread. Or John Barleycorn. How can or should you use the harvest?
4. The consecration of the first loaf of bread. How can you be grateful? Whom can you thank for his support through the last time?
5. Mother Earth. What can now come to rest? How can you settle down and prepare for the quieter seasons?
6. The sun. What should you enjoy now?
7. The season. What changes now?
8. The Indian summer. What lies ahead of you?

Some positions can be linked and read as a pair:
1+4 -- what is fully grown and why you can be thankful for it.
2+5 -- what is reaped and can now settle down.
3+6 -- how you should use and enjoy the harvest.
7+8 -- what changes and is on its way to you.
5+6 -- earth and sun, what is settling down so you can enjoy it.
1+6 -- the present, maturity and pleasure.
2+7 -- the near future, irrevocable change.
4+8 -- how you can be grateful for what lies in store for you.

(*1) Here are some links I found in the layout:
1 -- summer, South, fire, wands
3 -- autumn, West, water, swords
5 -- winter, North, earth, pentacles
7 -- spring, East, air, cups
I know water and cups belong together, and air and swords - but personally I feel that cups belong to the spring and swords to the autumn, therefore the change.

(*2)
The two semicircles-theory arose in me as I noticed that 1 till 4 dealt with the physical world, crop, harvest etc, and 5 till 8 with inwardly things, subtle changes, things you can do to nurture your self.

Hope nobody is tired after reading this long post. If so I'm sorry. I just had to share it with you.

Best Lammas wishes, Astraea Aurora :grin:

inanna_tarot
02-08-2012, 02:30
Bumping this thread up for a Lammas reading... thought it might be a useful 'bump' for others too :)

Hemera
06-08-2012, 19:27
Thanks for bumping this thread inanna_tarot :P
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=180661

Astraea Aurora
14-08-2012, 06:07
Gosh, I don't even remember my own spread. Thanks for bumping Hemera and innana_tarot!

Astraea Aurora :)

autumn and the sword
01-08-2014, 07:33
In case anyone else is looking for a Lammas spread right now, there's a few ideas in this thread :)

I'm not sure how to replicate spreads here, but I also found this: http://furioushorde.com/2012/08/02/%E2%9D%80-first-harvest-%E2%9D%80-a-lammas-tarot-spread-%E2%9D%80/

Merry Lammas!
-- Meranda

Disa
01-08-2014, 08:56
Thanks for these!

Brightest Lammas Blessings to you all :)