Yellow Quartz

Demonesse

I just bought a palm-sized ball of a yellow-gold crystal quartz which is either yellow calcite or citrine - anyone know any sites which feature pictures of these spheres so I can figure it out?

What are yellow calcite and citrine good for energy-wise?

Phoenix

Here is a simple test: try and scratch your fingernail over it. If the nail scratches the stone, it is calcite.

There are already a few threads on these stones a little farther down the board.

Demonesse

Isn't there any way I can find out without SCRATCHING it?? Erm..I don't see anything on calcite..

Phoenix

Not that I know of, because Calcite and Quartz look very similar.

Can you see though the crystal?? If so, place it on something with words....like a book, and see if the image is doubled or distorted. If this happens, then it is calcite, as calcite refracts light. Quartz is just like glass, you can see right through it.

Here is the thread about Calcite...it was in the archives. to view other threads in the archives, goto the bottom of the Gems forum, and select "Show all threads" then click the drop down menu, and select "from the beginning"

Hope this helps!

Demonesse

Quartz is just like glass? Isn't that only for clear quartz and not other types? For example, you can't see thru rose quartz - it's completely solid. And I can't see through mine either...at all.

Phoenix

There are some quartz, of all types that are crystal clear..but that is kinda rare. The only thing that I can think of is to use a simple Hydrochloric Acid Test. Place a drop of the acid on the crystal, and if it fizzes, it is calcite. The wipe off. This shouldn't damage the crystal. Just buff the spot where the acid was to remove any residue.

I will ask my Geology teacher tomorrow about other tests.

Demonesse

I've no idea where to obtain hydrochloride acid (Im not a science oriented sort) - at least you didn't tell me to look for calcium sulfate or something like that...hehe :)

blue_fusion

Demonesse said:
I've no idea where to obtain hydrochloride acid (Im not a science oriented sort) - at least you didn't tell me to look for calcium sulfate or something like that...hehe :)
i think its the common acid available in supermarkets.

Phoenix

Vinegar might work, but it won't be as strong.

Kyrielle

I may have found the test you've been waiting for:

Honey calcite is fluorescent under blacklight. Citrine is not.

You can probably find a blacklight bulb at Wal-Mart if you don't have one. There are also flashlight-sized portable ones. I found mine in the camping department of Target. Ask a rock dealer if you can't find one. Many rock collectors use blacklights to correctly identify specimens. If there is a dealer near you they may let you use theirs briefly to identify your sphere.

Fluorite is also fluorescent under blacklight. It's a cool effect. The word "fluorescent" itself means "acts like fluorite."

-- Kyrielle